Google

www.google.com

Google Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights

Generally one of the best

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTons of career development, transparency, benefits, intelligent coworkers, exciting industry to be engaged in. Relaxed, casual and fun atmosphere. Lots of side projects that you can dip your toes in.

ConsToo much ambiguity at times, relatively low pay, promotional structure is opaque and frustrating, engineers can be difficult to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparent and clearer promotional structure and guidelines would be incredibly appreciated and helpful. Make sure there is movement in management.

Great place to start career in Silicon Valley

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros-Free food is great
    -Great learning opportunity

Cons-Tough to get new projects started

Advice to Senior Management-Invest in new areas

Google

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat benefits
    amazing people to work with
    wonderful work environment
    amazing food!
    innovative work environment

ConsSometimes decisions are made top down with little to no involvement from middle management.
    Although they have peer recognition programs in place I don't think management does enough to recognize the efforts of their employees -- especially their managers.
    The extensive collaboration can at times drag projects out because everyone has to be involved and have their say in the project.
    As a larger company now -- Google seems to be far more process and structure driven -- partly out of necessity -- but it has changed the overall attitude and work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the efforts of your managers and involve manager in the decisions especially when it comes to initiatives that impact the people they manage.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

constant restructuring

Project Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros*Perks
    *Brand Name on CV
    *Has long-term potential if it can become a real company and not a startup anymore
    *Some really smart people can be found

ConsReorgs every 6 months regardless of departmental needs.
    Getting promoted on merit is near impossible.
    Zombie projects are the norm.
    Lots of people trying to steal your ideas and backstab you for advancement opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngineering is out of control. Too many duplicated projects. Quality is not rewarded, only things that ship.

Great place for engineers

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros* Great Co-workers. My experience has been overwhelmingly positive in this area. My co-workers are smart, motivated, and trustworthy. I can count on them for design and execution.
    * Great products. Loving the product you work on is great motivation for getting up in the morning.
    * Engineer-oriented. Product managers for the most part do not call the shots. Engineering bears most of the responsibility for design, timelines, etc.
    * Flexible hours. Performance really is king; engineers have a lot of flexibility in deciding when to come in and leave.
    * Food. Delicious.
    * Idealism. "Don't be evil" isn't just some marketing ploy that insiders scoff at. There's a real culture of accountability.
    * Stability. I heard of no one in engineering that was worried about their job due to the global economic crisis.
    * Scale. You're probably working on something millions of people use. There's great job satisfaction in that.

Cons* Limited upside compared to a start-up. You don't come to Google thinking you're going to strike it rich in one fell swoop anymore. This is the price of stability.
    * Company has grown quite large. There's something intangible that changes with growth, and even getting to know everyone in your extended team can be hard. There are no all-company events anymore. These have been replaced with organization-specific events.
    * Management quality varies. I have a great manager but I've heard horror stories.
    * Your initial project is assigned based on expressed preferences and relevant experience. It may take time to get off of it if you don't like it.
    * Ramp up may take some time, but don't get discouraged as this is expected. The software stack is almost all in-house and so there's indirect transfer to other systerms.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall senior management is extremely competent, and product vision is well articulated. Better training for middle management should be a priority. Proposed increase to financial efficiency (e.g., by cutting perks) should be weighed against the impact on employee satisfaction (they've done reasonably well in this area).

Do not ever join Google as Software Engineer in Test

Software Engineer In Test (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsYou will interact with one of the most brilliant computer science workers
    Free food, free beer, shuttles, opportunity to shake hands with Obama and all the glitz.
    Sunny state, beautiful campus, I even do my laundry there some days

ConsYou will face Software Engineering like interviews. They will test your ability to code and be excellent at algorithms and will be given utterly shitty job
    You will regret joining the company unless you are a fresh graduate student who likes to be pampered
    Pay is shitty as well except few lucky testers who get placed in "high profile" or "high demand" projects
    You will feel like a slave
    There is no getting out of it easily
    I have a degree from one of the top schools and I am already regretting joining google

Advice to Senior Managementprovide more opportunities to test engineers and engineers in test
    they have ambitions too

Great perks, boring job

Risk Operations Associate (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe benefits package is amazing, even if you're just a temp. Fun atmosphere, always a lot of perks, even if the job itself is boring. Coworkers tend to be friendly peers rather than smarmy corporate types, although there's a lot of corporate lingo around.

ConsLong hours, plus I had to work occasional weekends and holidays - didn't have much of a personal life outside of work. Also gained 15 pounds. Great place to get ahead in business, but not if you've got different kinds of career goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more transparency in decisionmaking, but this is the case in all companies.

Great place to work

Online Sales and Operations Associate (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

Pros-Lots of cool people
    -Lots of perks
    -Lots of respect from business schools/grad schools
    -Really chill place to work !

Cons-You work really hard and don't make much in comparison
    -Lots of people who graduated from the same school in that office

Advice to Senior Management-Don't let the culture die
    -Preserve your brand
    -Make sure that you don't scare your top talent away through instabilty

It's Google! What do you expect?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

Prosthe perks ad name recognition are second to none

ConsIt's an engineering company that just happens to need sales people

Advice to Senior Managementgreat place to work, but more attention needs to be paid to the sales organization.

How to combine work and fun

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsManagement follows the model of the open source community, the attitude of everyone is very open. There are many well-known extras. You're working with people at the top of their game.

ConsSome people still whine that they don't have enough extras. The workspace is very hectic and noisy. Sometimes things seem to move too fast in every direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to work on long-term goals for employees?

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!