Google

www.google.com

Google Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

3.7

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights

Best place in the world to work

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great perks, people, great products and lots of flexibility

Cons

Goolge has to win over it's competitors: Apple and Facebook if it is going to continue to grow and still have a stock that keeps going up!

Keep up the great work! Dont acquire Twitter

Great company, great people, lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

(1) Culture - very open, lots of respect for people, not hierarchical
    (2) People - highly driven, intelligent and very friendly
    (3) Opportunities - high growth, still at the beginning of the advertising shift online
    (4) Nature of the work - fast paced, highly innovative

Cons

(1) Worklife/balance - very hard working environment. Can be a con for some. Overall the company tries to manage this as best as possible, but the reality of being in a fast-growing highly innovative company is more work than in a slower paced environment
    (2) Getting large/bureaucratic - for a fast moving company, it has grown up since the mid-2000s and so is more bureaucratic than say a startup but MUCH LESS than other corporates

(1) Keep thinking big but acting small - entrepreneurial/innovative in a much bigger field / company
    (2) Continue to hire the best - this drives all the pros of working at Google

Google's a great company, but hard to understand

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

Pros

Excellent compensation and benefits, including very generous match for charitable donations.

Cons

Needs to be run more tightly and with more focus.

Spend more time and resources getting new employees oriented and productive.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

27 years old and at a loss for what's next:

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Coming out of college, I think Google provides a huge opportunity to advance quickly, but to a point. You'll be given considerable responsibility, and paid accordingly with some pretty terrific perks.

Cons

Google is fighting the 'law of large companies', and is doing pretty well but there's a certain inevitability afoot too: Over the four years I've been there, I've noticed scaling back of perks (and also at times a sickening culture of employee entitlement), a steady rise of red tape to run a scalable service in the production environment, a certain amount of stiff corporate speak and a uptightness over branding, image, and in some cases (though definitely not all) an aversion to risk taking has to some extent dampened my enthusiasm a little bit. Still an amazing place to be though.

Consider more career paths or guidance for senior engineers... I get the impression that this is where careers go to plateau. I'm 27 years old, and at this level I find myself compensated very well, and with more responsibility than I know what to do with, but I get the impression my choices are being an individual contributor for the next decade, or vying for a management spot. Even so, this is I think a problem for software engineering in general, and I think Google does a much better job at making it a liveable and enjoyable situation than any other large company I can imagine. Even so though, I'd think that a bit more effort in this area could have a noticeable impact on improving retention of experienced engineers (which is already at a pretty solid level relative to just about any other silicon valley firm).

Best place to work!

Former Employee - User Experience Designer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

- Relaxed yet professional working set up
    - Opportunity for learning and professional growth
    - Excellent food
    - Good salary and healthy competition
    - Very helpful colleagues

Cons

- Its is a big organization,thus takes time to understand various departments and areas
    - Hate to sit in cubical

They are doing great, so far this is the best company I have worked with. I feel lucky about it. I think Google is one of the most professional, honest and clear company who treats their employee fair. I know the Management knows their vision and will maintain their focus. Good luck!

Good place to work.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Google is a good place to work.

Cons

Google has become a big company.

They should allow incoming people to chose teams.

Great place to work, stay out of Ops

Current Employee - Corporate Operations Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Operations Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

- Peers are sheer geniuses in their realm, very low amount of low performers
    - Fun
    - Great Start for college grads - pace is fast, learning is fast
    - AWESOME annual bonus

Cons

- Middle management is very detached from work
    - Everything is looked from a efficiency standpoint, and sometimes that cannot be done
    - Indication (in ops groups) that decision is coming from the top down rather than bottom up as was tradition

Re-review all of middle management in Corp Eng. and clean house! We're Google's IT and first line dog-fooders, at the very least empower us to do the right thing

Love it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Google is a wonderful place to work. New York office is fantastic and I love my team. I encourage everyone to apply.

Cons

The cons of working at Google are that if you are not an engineer, there is not as much flexibility and creativity allowed.

My advice to senior management at Google is to expand their teams beyond looking at what school someone attended or what their GPA is.

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Easy work, lots of random cool projects to work on. Get to multitask on tons of projects at the same time. Good location.

Cons

Too few opportunities. Engineers can be extremely weird here. I would recommend against this job for another tech company. Direction is vague and erratic.

Learn to do your jobs better Management is poor and almost powerless. No direction at the company. Most gains seem to be from 'luck'

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!