Google

www.google.com

Google Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, great people, lots of opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros(1) Culture - very open, lots of respect for people, not hierarchical
    (2) People - highly driven, intelligent and very friendly
    (3) Opportunities - high growth, still at the beginning of the advertising shift online
    (4) Nature of the work - fast paced, highly innovative

Cons(1) Worklife/balance - very hard working environment. Can be a con for some. Overall the company tries to manage this as best as possible, but the reality of being in a fast-growing highly innovative company is more work than in a slower paced environment
    (2) Getting large/bureaucratic - for a fast moving company, it has grown up since the mid-2000s and so is more bureaucratic than say a startup but MUCH LESS than other corporates

Advice to Senior Management(1) Keep thinking big but acting small - entrepreneurial/innovative in a much bigger field / company
    (2) Continue to hire the best - this drives all the pros of working at Google

27 years old and at a loss for what's next:

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsComing out of college, I think Google provides a huge opportunity to advance quickly, but to a point. You'll be given considerable responsibility, and paid accordingly with some pretty terrific perks.

ConsGoogle is fighting the 'law of large companies', and is doing pretty well but there's a certain inevitability afoot too: Over the four years I've been there, I've noticed scaling back of perks (and also at times a sickening culture of employee entitlement), a steady rise of red tape to run a scalable service in the production environment, a certain amount of stiff corporate speak and a uptightness over branding, image, and in some cases (though definitely not all) an aversion to risk taking has to some extent dampened my enthusiasm a little bit. Still an amazing place to be though.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider more career paths or guidance for senior engineers... I get the impression that this is where careers go to plateau. I'm 27 years old, and at this level I find myself compensated very well, and with more responsibility than I know what to do with, but I get the impression my choices are being an individual contributor for the next decade, or vying for a management spot. Even so, this is I think a problem for software engineering in general, and I think Google does a much better job at making it a liveable and enjoyable situation than any other large company I can imagine. Even so though, I'd think that a bit more effort in this area could have a noticeable impact on improving retention of experienced engineers (which is already at a pretty solid level relative to just about any other silicon valley firm).

Best place in the world to work

Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat perks, people, great products and lots of flexibility

ConsGoolge has to win over it's competitors: Apple and Facebook if it is going to continue to grow and still have a stock that keeps going up!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work! Dont acquire Twitter

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best place to work!

User Experience Designer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros- Relaxed yet professional working set up
    - Opportunity for learning and professional growth
    - Excellent food
    - Good salary and healthy competition
    - Very helpful colleagues

Cons- Its is a big organization,thus takes time to understand various departments and areas
    - Hate to sit in cubical

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are doing great, so far this is the best company I have worked with. I feel lucky about it. I think Google is one of the most professional, honest and clear company who treats their employee fair. I know the Management knows their vision and will maintain their focus. Good luck!

Good place to work.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGoogle is a good place to work.

ConsGoogle has become a big company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should allow incoming people to chose teams.

Google's a great company, but hard to understand

Account Executive (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsExcellent compensation and benefits, including very generous match for charitable donations.

ConsNeeds to be run more tightly and with more focus.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time and resources getting new employees oriented and productive.

Love it

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGoogle is a wonderful place to work. New York office is fantastic and I love my team. I encourage everyone to apply.

ConsThe cons of working at Google are that if you are not an engineer, there is not as much flexibility and creativity allowed.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to senior management at Google is to expand their teams beyond looking at what school someone attended or what their GPA is.

I hate myself

Software Engineering (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsFree Food, Easy work hours

ConsNever get to see my product make it to launch

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, please, please pay me 10% more...oh wait, you did

Nice position

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat company to work for

Constoo much work and very weird hours!

Advice to Senior Managementhave a good work life balance

N/A

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsInnovative, unique culture - highly collaborative and relatively transparent community.

ConsThe bigger the company gets, the more difficult it is to get things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementDifficult to navigate career paths across different functions.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!