Google
4.2 of 5 2,092 reviews
www.google.com Mountain View, CA 5000+ Employees

Google Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development"
    in 92 reviews
  • "Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro"
    in 207 reviews
Cons:
  • "This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging"
    in 85 reviews
  • "Google is no different than any other big company and they are starting to realize it"
    in 68 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fast paced, lots of work, lots of reward, smart people, great values and respect.

Manager, Online Sales & Operations (Former Employee)

I worked at Google

ProsThe following is related to sales operations management.
You'll work with very smart people, and get a lot of support and feedback around doing your best work. Most senior managers have great knowledge, a lot of advice to offer, and value open, transparent communication.
You'll likely work the hardest you've ever worked at Google, but you'll also be greatly rewarded. Also, Google makes it very easy to work your hardest, and that's a huge bonus if you're interested in super-charging your career.
Example (day in the life): take free shuttle to work; use available corp vehicles to run daytime errands; grab a hand brewed coffee and gourmet breakfast before starting work; communicate with brightest in your industry during the day; visit a tech-talk and learn something new; workout in the gym w/ a trainer before lunch; have lunch with a colleague at 1 of >15 free themed cafes; grab an espresso shot from the micro-kitchen on way to your desk; collaborate on a new project with someone in a different working group; back to your own work; quick $5 chair massage to rejuvenate; swing by tech-stop on way to grab a new mouse, before your professional desk ergonomic consultation begins; more work; grab gourmet dinner starting at 6:30; woah, it's late - time to go home; grab late (8:30) shuttle home. (I guess i'll have to do my laundry for free at work tomorrow).

ConsGoogle is changing, and it's experiencing some growing pains.
There are new projects and focus areas every week, and the grouping of functions and teams changes constantly. As a result, managers are responsible to new macro functional groups, and new projects or focus areas every month or so. This seems an unnecessary distraction, amounting to 25% superfluous work.
The change in org structure has made it hard to maintain the career path of your choice. Instead, you must choose from available Google-centric career paths. These are not always (or often) composed of conventional roles, since Google is both changing rapidly, and unconventional to begin with.
Most of the people hired at Google 5+ years ago, don't have the credentials to be hired there today. This complicates internal transfers, even though HR attempts to solve that issue.
Those joining Google from acquisitions are rarely hirable at Google in any other way, yet their experience and contributions once onboard are typically at par. This again complicates the internal transfer process.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more accommodating to veteran Googlers. The company is changing very fast, and they need active guidance to navigate successfully. Active - not reactive.
Be more direct when providing guidance and mentoring to all managers and direct reports. Google is getting a bit too "careful", and I've found that more managers these days are reluctant to tell it like it is, for fear of appearing undiplomatic. Diplomacy and tact should make a manager a better communicator, not a constrained one.

Great Company. Team REALLY matters

Chicago, IL

I worked at Google

ProsReally smart people, great benefits, amazing level of transparency and access, people -especially at the top are really committed to "getting it right"

ConsEssentially Google has more than a few terrible middle managers. This is mostly because the really great people will often leave for school or more lucrative opportunities (because getting promotions can be very difficult) and often the people who stay are those who bide their time and are solid but not rock start performers. So your Google experience will depend a lot on who your direct manager is...

Amazing experience with a company that cares and is relevant

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Google

Pros-Google Full Timers are very helpful in terms of meeting with interns to give advice.
-Information is freely shared and the company is very transparent.
-Great recruiting staff that are an awesome support system for interns
-Fun perks
-Sweet pay
-Opportunities to learn and network
-Surrounded by intelligent and savvy people

ConsHardly any, there are literally no reasons not to intern here.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, keep up the great work!

Excellent

Scanner (Former Employee)
Ypsilanti, MI

I worked at Google

ProsThe company allowed me to achieve growth and a better willingness to learn! I was able to advance from working within groups.

ConsIt was under a 2 year (only) temporary contract. It gave little growth for promotion within the company. I would have loved to get hired in.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep giving young adults the opportunity to work for a great company. Maybe more promotional moves will be highly appreciated!

Good work!

Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Google

ProsSmart and driven people, managers open and willing to speak with you.

ConsParty culture, some people seem to be there for the perks.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Up until 3 years ago amazing. Going public made it far too political, causing many issues with management & leadership

Atlanta, GA

I worked at Google

ProsThey work hard, but are allowed to play hard. 3 free meals/day + unlimited snacks. Great company sponsored outings!

Consgetting very political, a lot of nepotism. Very negative vibe from employees regarding manager competency.

It's becoming a place where most people are treated like servers -- interchangeable and replaceable.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Google

ProsIn the right Eng group, young engineers will learn a lot. The food is good. The bicycles are handy.

ConsFor more senior people, odds are, you're going to be waiting a long time for any kind of promotion. You will also be way older than most of the people you work with, and your manager may or may not understand family commitments. (Google in general does.)

Your manager may or may not care about you. If you get a good manager, great. If you get a lousy one, it may or may not get fixed in any reasonable amount of time, and it can be hard to transfer out if you're having any difficulty with your manager. I had the worst manager of my 30 year career there, and should have just quit after I figured that out.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmulating the secrecy, siloing and hierarchy of Apple will not result in Google being as good at focus and product as Apple.

Google needs to encourage lightweight experimentation (in a way that 20% time doesn't really do, since it's often "120% time"). Once there are a bunch of organizations who all want to prevent you from launching quickly and easily, innovation suffers.

Even line engineers, TLMs, and lower level managers are not in fact interchangeable, and the company (or at least the Sales organization) shouldn't re-org every few months.

People get promotions based on politics and who sucks up to whom, not based on merit.

Perfect!

I worked at Google

ProsPerfect job as noticed by press.

ConsDifficult to get an offer.

Very nice company to work for

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google

ProsRespect engineers in decision making.
A lot of mobility in moving into projects
Information open to everyone and transparent process
World-class peers to work with

ConsThe work-life balance is hard to achieve

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the openness

Rough introduction followed by good job.

I have been working at Google

ProsWe are plied with small perks like espresso and organic vegetables.

ConsThe first month was very rough for me. I was given no real introduction to the company, and had to learn by fire. The security restrictions on your personal computer and network get in the way of productivity, and are generally frustrating. I need to have a field tech come to my workstation to install software that doesn't happen to be whitelisted.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take away sudo on linux machines. Make Noogler classes available to contractors.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Google CEO Larry Page . All 99 reviews posted anonymously by Google employees.