Google
4.2 of 5 2,101 reviews
www.google.com Mountain View, CA 5000+ Employees

Google Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2013's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development"
    in 92 reviews
  • "Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro"
    in 207 reviews
Cons:
  • "This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging"
    in 85 reviews
  • "Google is no different than any other big company and they are starting to realize it"
    in 68 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Google Summer of Code was the best experience a student can get

Google Summer of Code Open Source Developer (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Google as an intern for less than a year

ProsCompletely depends on the organization you choose to participate with, but the majority are rigorous, challenging and rewarding. I was able to solve extremely difficult problems while being mentored by the best possible mentors, and I intend to participate in GSoC '13.

ConsNo interaction with Google, which is a great and bad thing. Could use a slightly stricter structure, but overall the program is what you make of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand the program to more students!

Good, not great, company

Senior Staff Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Google full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSmart, motivated people. Great tools and build systems. Great infrastructure for building web properties.

ConsBad mid-level management, without a great way to do career development. Discipline around people management relatively weak. Review model ok, not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementCareer development and management reviews

Nerdvana

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Google full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOutstanding technical environment. Lots of talented and super smart contributors. The perks are really nice: food, guest talks. 20% time for engineers to invent what they really care about. The company is trying real hard to do good for society and promote a progressive agenda.

ConsThe culture rewards the top performers. It favors young professionals who just graduated and have tons of time to dedicate to work. It is much more difficult for experienced contributors who have constraints outside the office: family, hobbies, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to recognize the contributions of those who work smarter, not just harder. And find a way to let those who cannot work 80 hrs/wk still feel like they can have a meaningful and recognized contribution.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Super smart folks, but definitely feels like a big company

Engineering Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Google full-time for more than a year

ProsGet to work with some of the smartest and best programmers in the world. Have your choice of lots of interesting teams to work on. Free food. Good pay, benefits, etc.

ConsIt definitely feels like a big company, which means it's super-easy to coast and not do a whole lot, and it's super easy to feel like you're working on a tiny part of a gigantic company. Lots of free food doesn't make up for that.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your engineers feel like the problem they're working on is important. If it's not important, then shut it down and focus them on something else.

Very good culture

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time for less than a year

ProsOpen atmosphere, flexible working hours, lots of interesting projects

ConsAlmost everyone is smart and hardworking, which creates some pressure. This is healthy for the company and the career, though.

Software engineer intern at Google!

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Google as an intern for less than a year

ProsLeader in all web-based solutions like search, mail, etc. A very healthy work environment where you are surrounded by the brightest minds. Immense learning and positive energy.

ConsNone I can think of. The only downside (according to me, but can't be generalized) is Google is no longer is a startup, thus the expectations from a startup like breadth level learning and exposure might not be the same as an early startup.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts awesome!

Fortunate.

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe people, the culture, and the constant innovation - makes coming to work everyday a fun routine.

ConsWe've grown too quickly, making it difficult to get things done as quickly as we were able to years ago. We've also focused on hiring elite students and MBA grads, who don't always have the street sense needed in a dynamic and changing sales organization.

Good place to work, not a startup anymore.

Internal Technology Resident (Former Employee)

I worked at Google full-time for more than a year

ProsFun, free food, awesome other perks, trust, transparency

ConsNo longer feels like a startup. Management layer is thick.

Great company

Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time

ProsGoogle offer an amazing work environment, with unbelievable perks. People around you are very smart

Whatever you do in Google, you are probably working on (or supporting) an innovative product and having a quite large impact.

Things move at a very fast pace. The speed is really one of a startup. Organized chaos is how I should describe Google. A chaos that magically works

It is a relatively flat organization. While there is a well defined chain of command in every function, the individual are still empowered to work cross-functionally and take initiative.

ConsIt is getting a little bit too political in Google, which I guess is only natural for 40K company.

PMs tend to take a bit too much credit for everything around, Engineering are very isolated (maybe by design) from operation/monetization aspects. Other functions are secondary to PM and Engineering in almost every aspect.

Vision is increasingly a top-down thing with less and less grass root initiatives .......... working on your 20% these days mean your bonus will probably disappear because you need your manager sign-off, which likely has a different agenda, and his own 20%

Advice to Senior ManagementMost middle managers are extremely overloaded and consequently ineffective in managing their teams. It is ridiculous to have any individual managing more than 10 direct reports, and expect him to be informed on his team progress while spending most of his time in x-functional meetings ............ managers tend to never be available for spontaneous discussion, which slow decision making.

Google should add more layers of management like any other Fortune 500. Hierarchical management when done right is supposed to be a solution for a proactive organization ................. in Google it is more of a problem because of the ideological believe in the flat organization and the extreme reluctance in adding layers.

Great Place

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people to work with. Management really cares about team members

ConsDriving aroung LA is not fun

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Google CEO Larry Page . All 154 reviews posted anonymously by Google employees.