Google Reviews

Reset
4.3
Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page

Pros
  • Work life balance can be what you want it to be on most teams (in 140 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is extremely hard (in 122 reviews)

• Big company so it takes time to know who's doing what (in 93 reviews)

Best company I've ever worked for.

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at a company where amazing things are made, the people are smart and the food is amazing.

Cons

Engineers rule. If you aren't one, you may feel slighted. Also, school snobbery may keep your department from being able to hire talented people, and force you to accept other candidates who are less desirable but went to a top tier schoo.

Moving at the speed of light, burn out is inevitable

Former Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1) Food, food, food. 15+ cafes on main campus (MTV) alone. Mini-kitchens, snacks, drinks, free breakfast/lunch/dinner, all day, errr'day. 2) Benefits/perks. Free 24:7 gym access (on MTV campus). Free (self service) laundry (washer/dryer) available. Bowling alley. Volley ball pit. Custom-built and exclusive employee use only outdoor sport park (MTV). Free health/fitness assessments. Dog-friendly. Etc. etc. etc. 3) Compensation. In ~2010 or 2011, Google updated its compensation packages so that they were more competitive. 4) For the size of the organization (30K+), it has remained relatively innovative, nimble, and fast-paced and open with communication but, that is definitely changing (for the worse). 5) With so many departments, focus areas, and products, *in theory*, you should have plenty of opportunity to grow your career (horizontally or vertically). In practice, not true. 6) You get to work with some of the brightest, most innovative and hard-working/diligent minds in the industry. There's a "con" to that, too (see below).

Cons

1) Work/life balance. What balance? All those perks and benefits are an illusion. They keep you at work and they help you to be more productive. I've never met anybody at Google who actually time off on weekends or on vacations. You may not hear management say, "You have to work on weekends/vacations" but, they set the culture by doing so - and it inevitably trickles down. I don't know if Google inadvertently hires the work-a-holics or if they create work-a-holics in us. Regardless, I have seen way too many of the following: marriages fall apart, colleagues choosing work and projects over family, colleagues getting physically sick and ill because of stress, colleagues crying while at work because of the stress, colleagues shooting out emails at midnight, 1am, 2am, 3am. It is absolutely ridiculous and something needs to change. 2) Poor management. I think the issue is that, a majority of people love Google because they get to work on interesting technical problems - and these are the people that see little value in learning how to develop emotional intelligence. Perhaps they enjoy technical problems because people are too "difficult." People are promoted into management positions - not because they actually know how to lead/manage, but because they happen to be smart or because there is no other path to grow into. So there is a layer of intelligent individuals who are horrible managers and leaders. Yet, there is no value system to actually do anything about that because "emotional intelligence" or "adaptive leadership" are not taken seriously. 3) Jerks. Sure, there are a lot of brilliant people - but, sadly, there are also a lot of jerks (and, many times, they are one and the same). Years ago, that wasn't the case. I don't know if the pool of candidates is getting smaller, or maybe all the folks with great personalities cashed out and left, or maybe people are getting burned out and it's wearing on their personality and patience. I've heard stories of managers straight-up cussing out their employees and intimidating/scaring their employees into compliance. 4) It's a giant company now and, inevitably, it has become slower moving and is now layered with process and bureaucracy. So many political battles, empire building, territory grabbing. Google says, "Don't be evil." But, that practice doesn't seem to be put into place when it comes to internal practices. :(

Advice to Management

1) Don't dismiss emotional intelligence and adaptive leadership. They're not just catch phases. You need great managers and leaders in order to build great companies and develop great employees. The people who may be brilliant at solving technical issues may not be (and are most often, not) the best candidates for management. 2) Do something about that work-ife balance. Don't just have a bunch of pow-wows and tech talks and discussions about it. Leadership should actually model it. Consider re-evaluating how work is done; what processes are in place that are inefficient and ineffective and need to be updated or removed? 3) Don't forget that there is already a pool of incredibly talented people within the company. If career development is really a goal at Google, then do it. Don't just hire from the outside. Take the time to help your employees develop their careers - then maybe you won't lose some of the great ones, and maybe you'll have prevent some of that burn out and disillusionment.

Spent 5+ years in Marketing - it's different from being an engineer at Google

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome people, hands down. Peers and colleagues. Some of the brightest people. Company policies on expenses, perks, family, pets, etc. - all outstanding.

Cons

Salary isn't the best on the market. Google knows it can pay less than it has to, because people want to work for it. Google has departments working on formulas meant to pay you as little as possible. Huge fight to get to the top - everyone is in a race. A culture of overachievers, which means you have to sacrifice personal and social life to move up the ranks. I've seen amazing rates of burnout among marketing. Too much. Also, middle management can be incompetent or too busy racing to the top to care about you. Everything is in formulas, and just doing a great job is not enough. You need to shop yourself and shout about your achievements as loud as you can in order to get promoted. Also, the commute from the city sucks. Oh, and the company's product strategy is a laughing stock. Google jumps on every shiny object. It's one thing to reinvent an industry, but to launch clones is just low. Google+ is shoved down everyone's throat. Google Offers was a Groupon clone. And nobody cares about the user, the company is totally evil. Decisions are made based on $$$, and not the user in mind. Don't be fooled.

Advice to Management

Stop the cutthroat practices. Force people to leave the office at 7:30 - literally, not just with a lame "you should go home". Young people are slaving their lives away for the company where you probably won't work 2 years from now. Help them enjoy themselves, their work, and the friendships they've made.

Amazing!

Current Contractor - Online Operations Specialist in Mountain View, CA
    Current Contractor - Online Operations Specialist in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free amenities Relaxed culture Shuttles to SF Car Rentals Work hard/play hard

Cons

Slow progression Late work hours Some work weekends Sushi run out Employees disconnected from management

Advice to Management

Hire your contractors when they are excellent talent

Everything you would expect, good and bad, but never dull

Former Contractor - Project Manager
    Former Contractor - Project Manager

I worked at Google as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Most employees are motivated to get things done, and path blockers can usually be detoured around relatively easily. Most of the groups I worked with are very focused and knowledgeable about their products/responsibility areas, and are usually very responsive. Not always the response you are looking for, but responsive all the same. Lots of intelligent people who are also lots of fun to work with. They work hard, and they play hard. There is definitely a sense of internal competition to be the better group/product/solution. Mountain View campus is absolutely amazing, from dining choices to personal amenities.

Cons

Frenetic pace may not be for everyone. Timid people, people who are easily frustrated, and people who have low tolerances for anything new/different/unknown won't survive for long. You have to be ready, willing, and able to make leaps of faith, fast deals and agreements, and keep up the pace or get left behind.

Excellent Experience

Former Contractor - Technical Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
    Former Contractor - Technical Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- One of the best companies to work for - Good pay - Perk perk perks - Great training program to get people up and running - Flexible schedule - Perks perks perks - shuttles, laundry, massages, gym, food, drinks, snacks, games, everything you could ever need - The company trained me to be very successful in my new company where I have a lot of opportunity to grow.

Cons

- Too big so opportunities for career growth are going down - This was mainly my team and not the overall company - manager likes to micromanage and threaten to fire people (one person actually did get fired for disapproving the manager's techniques) - TOO many trackers. There was a point in time when I was managing (no joke) 10 manual trackers in Google Spreadsheet (Trix). Manually... and much of the information overlapped. Half of the time is spent in administrative work than on actual productivity - The recruiting and sourcing team overall try to shark candidates. As soon as a candidate expires, other recruiters will jump on it. They step on each other's toes. Extremely competitive and not always in a good way - The whole team is a political game of favoritism - Contractors are unfavored even though most of the team is on contract. Permanent employees are the most favored - No value for employees, just work - They offered me an FTC (fixed term contract conversion) when I let them know I was leaving them for a direct competitor even though I had been asking them all year throughout my contract. - Started to feel like a sweatshop After all that, I would do it all over again because this company trained me to be super successful where I'm at now. I have opportunities to move forward which I didn't have at the G.

Advice to Management

- STOP with the excel-like trackers! It's one of the best data companies in the world. Why do the sourcers have to spend so much time on manual tracking of data? Automate! - Enough with the micromanagement, we're there to work with Adults not children. - Politics. Should go, but Google is too big to not have politics now.

Great company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart people, fantastic perks. I learned more here than I have anywhere else in my professional history. The older teams, such as infrastructure and apps have people that can teach you more in an hour than you learn many places in your entire tenure.

Cons

most of the technology is inhouse, and google faces problems no one else does, so what you learn is non-transferable. Offices outside of Mountain View are treated very poorly.

9. loved it

Former Employee - Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work environment was very fantastic

Cons

i didnt have any to report

Advice to Management

keep it up

10. have a internship in Google MTV

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

work with experienced people, nice food and flexible work time

Cons

some work is not so interesting especially at the beginning of your carrer

Advice to Management

create more chance to new guys

11. Wonderful

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

Amazing environment, full of energy and a positive attitude

Cons

Interview was not that difficult, overall experience was great.

Showing 389 of 3,750 reviews