Google

4.2 2,330 reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

(1,242 ratings)

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights
2,330 Employee Reviews

Google underpays when it comes to staffing and recruiting. They are way below the market. There is no work life balance.

Technical Sourcer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsFree food and snacks.

ConsVery corporate now. The company is hierarchical and there is little to no access to management at the top. Long hours and no work life balance.

Not nice if you're a contractor...

Technical Writer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFree meals, coffee, and snacks.

ConsWorking in a culture of 20 something, ivy league graduates with inflated egos was challenging.
    Contractors are not offered benefits, perks (massages, dinners out, free phones an other gifts, etc.). They are not invited to team or company celebrations like the huge holiday party. You end up feeling like a 2nd class citizen.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe kinder to contractors. They have a lot to offer and are overlooked.

Full of the worst people from Microsoft

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsAll the usual good stuff about Google: free food and good comp.

ConsGoogle opened the Kirkland office to poach from Microsoft and Amazon. Looks like they got what they wished for. The office and Google internally is just brimming with politics and useless processes now. All the good Engineers have/will leave very shortly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This place makes me sick every time I hear its the #1 technology company and how great it is.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFood within 150 feet at all times. It's not exactly free though, you're working hard for it. There are a lot of smart and nice people there, but also a lot of weirdos and mean people. This company is just like every other globalist corporation, don't let them fool you.

ConsTo many to list here. I could go on all day.

Treatment varies greatly depending on full time or contract status. Not as good as it appears to be.

Technical Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) Kitchener, ON (Canada)

Pros- Nice people
    - Free food and snacks
    - Great computer equipment and supplies
    - Desks where you can stand or sit (although not everyone had one)
    - Library, patio, and areas to lounge
    - Gym, exercise room
    - Unique office environment
    - Well documented tools

Cons- Be wary of people that bring gifts like free food, there is usually a catch. (Company tries to create an environment in which employees never leave. By trying to turn work into "home", employees do not learn to take care of themselves and be on their own.)
    - Work days are very slow to start and late to finish ie: 9am - 6pm. I'm accustomed to 8am-4:30pm or 5pm. I like to have *some* daylight when my work day is finished.
    - No flex time for contractors.
    - No benefits
    - Pay is "average" or "below average" depending on whether you are full time or contractor
    - Many employees at Google are contract employees. These people have no benefits. (All the free food in the world does not make up for the lack of a pension plan, dental coverage, stock options, or other "real" monetary benefits etc.)
    - Contract employees are used and discarded, and kept separate from full time staff
    - Contract work does not lead to full time positions
    - Contractors cannot stay for more than one year before having to leave the company
    - My manager worked remotely and was usually not present
    - Daily team stand-up meetings were frequently cancelled.
    - Employees in the same room communicate through IM rather than face to face. Isn't it faster to talk than to type?
    - Skills gained are not transferable because Google uses its own proprietary software and tools.
    - Opinions and suggestions are not welcome.
    - Employees spent code reviews nitpicking about having too many program comments. That's right: comments *about* comments!
    - Employees are dismissed? without notification. ***

***My badge was deactivated this morning and nobody has contacted me since! I have no idea whether I'm still an employee at Google or not. It has been 10 hours. I have never seen a situation like this before. It is outrageous. I still have personal belongings in the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry being in the building to manage employees.

Treat contract workers like people rather than as objects to be used and thrown away.

came in excited, left very disappointed

Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

Prosexcellent marketing to it's employees. great benefits, onsite perks

ConsI came in under an acquisition, excited to take on a new role! I found the acquisition team to be unprepared and without answers. My team members were confused about who even their new managers would be. While no one expected handouts, it was hard to find someone even interested in assisting those who came on with temporary roles. It was starting from scratch to find a place in the big Google world.

Advice to Senior Managementstop acquiring companies when you don't know what to do with the employees

Google protects bad managers.

ProsGreat benefits, smart people, interesting challenges, great brand.

ConsIf you get stuck with a bad manager, in a chain of people who aim to protect that person, good luck.

Low base salary.

Very hard to advance.

Some groups can be very political.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet serious about insisting on having great managers. Managers who have proven themselves incapable of great management (or even good or neutral management) should be dealt with accordingly, not protected.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Do no evil? Guess not..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree to do random stuff

ConsFocus on academics means lack of proper direction
    It's all changing

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some great people, rather than the phd's who pass your silly interview questions and then cant actually produce deliverables...

If you're not full time then you're treated like 2nd class

QA Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsNone really, food is good. big bldgs

Cons-You pay for your food, a small fee is deducted from your paycheck.
    -You dont get treated like a human
    -You cant go to parties
    -You're looked down on by full time employees

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect

Very Dissatisfied! STAY AWAY!!

Oracle Functional Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPlease let me know if there is one..

ConsLong list -- Here you go..
    1. Poor Management
    2. No Ethics
    3. Untrained Staff
    4. No Manners
    5. Disgusting Managers
    6. Single Person works as Recruiter; Sales Executive; Manager etc. etc.
    7. Don't Pay on time
    8. All good reviews are written by company recruiters
    9. Doesn't file H1 B and still say e-verified
    10. Proxy interviews are taken
    11. All the employees are family members

Advice to Senior ManagementNo use giving advice as they don't listen to you

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!