Google Reviews

4.4
Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page
1,721 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance can be what you want it to be on most teams (in 140 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is extremely hard (in 122 reviews)

• Big company so it takes time to know who's doing what (in 93 reviews)

3,265 Employee Reviews

It's not what it's cracked up to be.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

The reputation of the company is great, and so is the free food.

Cons

This is no longer a startup. You can't expect to go to Google these days and become a millionaire. As some reviewers have said, there is basically no room for advancement so it is a deadend job. They do discriminate by schools. Say if you attended Arizona State you would get paid $20k less than the same person graduating from Berkeley or Stanford. It is pretty ridiculous like that.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people and do something new. All your money is from Adsense and that's pathetic.

arrogance in the air ....

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Its famous, its been "best employer" for 2 years now !

Cons

Lots ! 1. We only say that we have free food, and all other crap, how does it help me as a person ? 2. Peers are arrogant, and i have seen its like stanford etc are great .. (ps i am from stanford too though), but the general attitude around is like every other place is bad .. 3. recruitment process is not good, though i did get it due to my background, i dont think they see skillsets, they see only background. 4. An air of arrogance ... 5. Too competitive -- good for people who have nothing better in life except work ! (yes sort of geeks .. and geeks SUCK isnt it ..)

Advice to Management

Get down to earth and stop thinking you are GOD !

Unbelievable lack of respect for employees at shallow-minded, though smart, company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

One of the best reasons to work for Google is the educational opportunities it provides. On any given day, there are multiple educational events happening on campus (tech talks, author talks, poltical appearances, job-related educational seminars, etc.), and many attend while simultaneously working on their laptops. Benefits (insurance, food, on-site services) are excellent, and campus-sponsored events (holiday parties, wine tastings) are added bonuses.

Cons

Lack of respect toward other employees, domineering behavior, inappropriate initial placement in the company, extremely poor treatment of employees by management, lack of recognition, barbaric management style, unprofessionalism, sense of entitlement, and generally very poor human behavior. On my first day on the job, I was horrified to find my new manager yelling and treating me in a demeaning way in front of other employees while others simply continued to work. Many employees tend to have a false sense of confidence about their smarts and knowledge base, as evidenced by the smug and arrogant attitudes they seem to have about matters even outside of their fields of expertise. Most employees know only their limited field and role, and do not stop to consider the extent to which life exists outside of their tiny contribution, and Google itself. An extreme emphasis is placed on wealth and material possessions, such that the company culture feels empty, sterile, and mindlessly capitalistic. Chatter around the workplace is vapid and mimics the austere, white-walled atmosphere--this is a company for kids who dare not to dream larger than owning the latest model ipod and roadbike and eventually buying that Tesla and McMansion.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and you won't need to spend millions of dollars on food and massages. Employees who love their jobs and want to contribute great things to the company will want to do so not for an extra serving of lemon panna cotta, but because they are valued for their accomplishments, and never treated in a way that precludes them from doing great work. Belittlement, intimidation, and hostility are not traits that any good manager should have, and should be promptly addressed as problems arise. Be the leader in truly valuing your employees, not in external rewards, and you'll see exponential success.

not cool to work here anymore

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA

Pros

hip, people are easy going and the campus is pretty cool

Cons

underpaid, interview process takes too long, the work and place is not as cool as it may seem, cutting perks and benefits

Advice to Management

please get rid of all the management that have no work to do

Google is NOT for NONE-Software Engineers

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

I think most ppl r proud of working for Google. I was too...at least for the beginning of two months. So, I don't need to repeat the good things about working for Google here. But, remember, all the good things are mostly posted by "software engineers". They are like king of the world in Google versus operation engineers (including me) are like slavers of the king.

Cons

Google, fortunately, is the worst company I have ever worked for. It attracts so many talent people to work for this company, but in fact, the only give software engineers the special treatment. I've seen so many great engineers in operation team were treated like nothing. 1. management sucks My manager is the root cause that every engineer suffers. He is the best politician I have ever seen in my life. Ever since he promoted to be a manager, he started to play all the dirty games among us. He spent $20 mil per year on some equipments which melt down network connectivity so many times every month. He claimed that the equipments would save Google for 10 millions per year, but in fact, we spent a lot more work hours on trying to solve the problems these junks caused. The main problem is, there is no test base for these junks. Aren't we supposed to test all the equipment before we implement or even purchase them? Not these junks... how does it happen? pick ur guess! How about we go the manger above him. Too bad.. the upper manager is his buddy. There is no complain or any bad thing would ever leak out through these 2 layers of managers. They cover everything up very well. In fact, one of the manager's jobs should ensure the fairness. Well... "fairness" is NEVER been seen at this team. 2. politics tricks My manager has this policy: all the engineers under level III can not talk to the engineers above level IV. Well.... before I join google, I thought anyone could talk directly to anyone, even to CEO. But my manager fired a person who asked questions to a level IV. His recently move was - promoted two of his favorites to be managers and directly reported to him. You know what it means? He just promoted himself since there are two managers reporting to him now. That was the exact trick his upper manager did a couple years ago. Now... there are 3 levels of management under one director. How does this director allow this happen?? well.. that's the politics. So, when the new engineer join the team, how many levels above him?? It's IMPOSSIBLE that you get promoted if there is one new layer added. Most likely, you got downgraded every year!! 3. STEALING/CHEATING I've never seen so many cheating cases ever since I graduated from college, but here, at Google. We have two level IV engineers responsible for designing networks with one stealing ideas/credits from the other one's work!! And this cheating is permitted by the upper manager!! How did it happen? well... the managers playing the games. The two (now three) levels managers ensures that none of outside team could work with the talent engineer alone. When they steals, those seniors all lined up and the upper manager would give pressure down to turn in the design and the credits. Whoever on the same side of this level IV engineer would suffer a hard time and have bad reviews from those managers. So, we watched the stealing and cheating happening every day but no one dare to say anything.

Advice to Management

I thought Google was not a place for the politician to play games with every day. When there were so many evil people running this company, how can it not to be evil?

Poor ethics, cult-like atmosphere

Former Employee - Adwords Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Adwords Associate in Mountain View, CA

Pros

great side benefits, free food, nice setting for a corporation. Some of the people were nice to work with, young atmosphere

Cons

all benefits at Google are provided so as to keep you at work as long as possible. Serious egotism is a problem.

Advice to Management

Google leadership needs to remove themselves from their self created pedestal. The world would not end if Google suddenly no longer existed.

I hate myself

Former Employee - Software Engineering in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering in Seattle, WA

Pros

Free Food, Easy work hours

Cons

Never get to see my product make it to launch

Advice to Management

Please, please, please pay me 10% more...oh wait, you did

taxing

Current Employee - Product Tmanager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Tmanager in Seattle, WA

Pros

stock is doing well so i am happy

Cons

unorganized no focus to individual efforts

Advice to Management

get real - stop pursuing pipe dream projects

Elitist, Arrogant Managers with low self-awareness

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great food, amenities and good compensation. Excellent location in Chelsea.

Cons

#1- Current Recruiting practice has some very strange practices and the rather junior, mediocre recruiting staff are afraid to challenge #2-Inflexible recruiting practices that hire against a set of ideals vs business needs. At least 1,000 people a day are screened out due to ridiculous ideals that are never questioned #3-Recruiting practices that do not improve without 18 layers of approvals and weak recruiting leadership. #4-Strong recruiters leave. Mediocre recruiters stay so that they can provide more convolution to an already convoluted process.

Advice to Management

Hire for the business, creativity and potential, not academic credentials or schools. Get rid of the current recruiting leadership.

Thrilling and Satisfying

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

One of the best experiences in my life, nothing can or probably will come to these few years of my life at Google.

Cons

Lack of proper work life balance, deadlines! deadlines! deadlines! Conference calls can be weird times of the day, but overall satisfying.

Advice to Management

Schedule conference call at more decent hours of the days Feedback could be better received Pay be made more competitive

Showing 3,265 of 3,933 reviews