Google

2,954 Reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page
1,629 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 140 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 122 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 93 reviews)

More Highlights

Most stressful job ever. You get fired if you even sneeze too loud.

Former Employee - GSX Operator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - GSX Operator in New York, NY

I worked at Google full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The Pay was great, when you got hours.

Cons

No Union, no sense of security, horrible working conditions, your not allowed to have a voice. No one seems to know what's going on, rules change every week. There are non stop emails and sometimes even phone calls during your personal time. Even after a 10 hour shift you only get 30 minutes lunch. You often have to perform the role of 3 people at once.

Stop depending on a daily feedback form from each operator & actually spend some time in store to witness 1st hand what is going on, rather than sitting behind a computer all day dictating.

Overrated

Former Employee - BSA in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - BSA in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Google might look good on someones resume right out of the college.

Cons

Google is becoming way to big for all the employees to have interesting work. Those are the people making google so famous. They get pampered with free food and use free bus to campus and laundry for free. Food is mediocre by all standards. Cafe's are overrated. Yes there are a bunch of cafe on campus but you have to go all the way to main campus if you want variety. Otherwise a closer cafe will offer the same burrito at five stations. The worst thing about google is this culture of Temps Vs FTE's. Seems like people are always staring at your badge to decide wether to smile at you or not. Seating arrangement is open floor. Disjointed teams sit together and will never say hi to you. I think people there are drinking the Google Koolaid way too much. When you are right out of college you have nothing else to compare to. Everyone is not working on something important. So much time on hand for these very bright engineers that only way they keep busy is obsessing over the documentation. Your workspace will be mediocre means no fancy gear. I found people with great experience working on petty things just because of the kool aid factor. And that right turn on Shoreline Blvd takes 20 minutes every morning. You have to double park in the campus parking lots. Temps will get used computers and during orientations they will repeat again and again that you are a "noogler". Not sure why Google treats their temps like dirt. They contribute too. I think this whole attitude can only come from fresh out of the college folks and google tends to hire them by the ton. No one will speak about all this because where else would you aspire to go when you yourself have created this hoopla that this is the best place to work. No option to work from home for temps so be prepared to make that 20 minute right turn on shoreline blvd.

Place is overrated

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, San Jose (Costa Rica)

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of outstanding colleagues. Food is great

Cons

Management sucks. Lots of medicore managers waiting to get their stock options. Lack of direction. Lots office politics. Salary is average

Fire underperforming managers. Raise salary.

Worst experience ever

Former Employee - SWE Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - SWE Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Google as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, nice perks (free food, gym classes etc).

Cons

unclear and unrealistic expectations, incompetent manager, very bureaucratic, arrogant employers

Please choose your employers more carefully

Not a good company to work for

I worked at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They pay a good salary except that they have very lousy work environment. I am no longer interested in working here.

Cons

Not a good company to work for.

Not the best company to work for despite the reports

Former Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The perks, benefits and prestige of working here are the most significant pro's. Having Google on your resume does open other doors for you, but first you have to survive working there. Another pro is the variety of interesting products they are working on, there is very interesting work happening at Google in a variety of areas.

Cons

Entitlement, damaging competitiveness, and misogyny just to name a few. Throw an ineffective HR team in the mix and it is actually not a very supportive or pleasant place to work. I worked in a group that was dominated by men who actively did not like women. My male boss actually stated in a 1:1 with me once that he though several recent promotions were to fill some sort of "promote women quota" and that some of the women promoted did not actually deserve it based on their performance or skills. He actually said this to me, a woman. I did mention this to my HRBP and her response was "do you want me to do something about that?" A completely inappropriate response. Only young white men from top level universities and very masculine women were hired into our group, I was reorganized into the group my second year at Google and was shocked and disturbed by the environment on the team i joined. Work life balance was a joke and the only appreciation and recognition I received was from the internal client groups I supported. I would not recommend working at Google to anyone and would say that women in particular need to think long and hard before going to work there. I think there is a lot of bullying, bias and harassment happening in the group I was in and HR should know about this as many people have raised it and no action towards improvements are being taken.

The HR team needs to be stronger and take appropriate action on items raised to them. I also think more unconscious bias training and more honest conversations about gender issues is necessary.

Google is a good company on the surface, but uses sweatshops to get things done.

Former Employee - Visual Data Specialist in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Visual Data Specialist in Bothell, WA

I worked at Google as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Free food, relaxed atmosphere, nice facilities.

Cons

Low wages, short contracts, treats employees like sheep.

I said something critical of their product (Google maps) and was reprimanded that their product is perfect, thus I was removed immediately. Evidently, Google doesn't want to employ any free thinkers because they want complete dominance over their employees/sheep. Without being critical of their own products, competition is going to surpass them. We see this with Here Maps, Open Maps and even Bing is starting to catch up. Google employs people with little to no GIS knowledge, and relies on internally developed tools to improve their maps. This method isn't as effective as traditional GIS, and you can really see the difference in detail between Google Maps and Here Maps. Google could provide better maps if they hired a smaller group of GIS specialists, but they don't like criticism about their methods. Because of short contracts, by the time people learn their system the contracts are over. I use to love Google products, but after seeing how they run their business first-hand, I would be very cautious to even invest in them.

No, its not a rumor--contractors are treated like subhuman!

Former Employee - Coordinator in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Food and random goodies... you get to impress the world by telling them you work at THE Google.

Cons

Worked in the Educational Engineering department for a burnt out, personality impaired sociopath (no joke). This woman never gave credit for any job well done and mainly (only) gave non-constructive criticism. This is the most disappointing, stressful and regretful contractor experiences of my career. Google is VERY overrated, political and full of itself--the employees can be entitled brats and definitely look down upon contractors. Would not recommend this company. Also, they pay below market and expect the world.

Treat your contractors with the same humanity and respect that you do your employees and get rid of burnt out, poor non-leaders that poison your company and treat contractors with no respect.

Bad place to work

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Delhi (India)
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Delhi (India)

I worked at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I would never advice anyone to work for posh, I Think the environment is full or negativity or office politics . You can't breadth there freely. Country head just poke here and there .so basically no pros.

Cons

Bad Chairs , bad place for growth and i think people may get more depress after going to posh.

Please learn from MNC's for management and not from politics.

Heaven for googlers, hell for vendors

Current Employee - Analyst in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Google as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

free cab and food but everyone gives that now

Cons

very discriminatory towards vendors. we are at the bottom, our pod leads cannot do anything either. no job satisfaction at all and no hikes much as well.

you don't care about a vendor's advice anyways