Google
4.2 of 5 2,085 reviews
www.google.com Mountain View, CA 5000+ Employees

Google Reviews

Pros:
  • "All things considered, workload was manageable and work/life balance was great"
    in 78 reviews
  • "Free food even for contractors (red badge employees)"
    in 195 reviews
Cons:
  • "This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging"
    in 81 reviews
  • "Getting slower as it's a big company - but probably still the best of its size"
    in 59 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Thrilling and Satisfying

I have been working at Google

ProsOne of the best experiences in my life, nothing can or probably will come to these few years of my life at Google.

ConsLack of proper work life balance, deadlines! deadlines! deadlines! Conference calls can be weird times of the day, but overall satisfying.

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule conference call at more decent hours of the days
Feedback could be better received
Pay be made more competitive

Elitist, Arrogant Managers with low self-awareness

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Google

ProsGreat food, amenities and good compensation.
Excellent location in Chelsea.

Cons#1- Current Recruiting practice has some very strange practices and the rather junior, mediocre recruiting staff are afraid to challenge

#2-Inflexible recruiting practices that hire against a set of ideals vs business needs. At least 1,000 people a day are screened out due to ridiculous ideals that are never questioned

#3-Recruiting practices that do not improve without 18 layers of approvals and weak recruiting leadership.

#4-Strong recruiters leave. Mediocre recruiters stay so that they can provide more convolution to an already convoluted process.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire for the business, creativity and potential, not academic credentials or schools. Get rid of the current recruiting leadership.

taxing

Product Tmanager (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google

Prosstock is doing well so i am happy

Consunorganized no focus to individual efforts

Advice to Senior Managementget real - stop pursuing pipe dream projects

It's becoming a place where most people are treated like servers -- interchangeable and replaceable.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Google

ProsIn the right Eng group, young engineers will learn a lot. The food is good. The bicycles are handy.

ConsFor more senior people, odds are, you're going to be waiting a long time for any kind of promotion. You will also be way older than most of the people you work with, and your manager may or may not understand family commitments. (Google in general does.)

Your manager may or may not care about you. If you get a good manager, great. If you get a lousy one, it may or may not get fixed in any reasonable amount of time, and it can be hard to transfer out if you're having any difficulty with your manager. I had the worst manager of my 30 year career there, and should have just quit after I figured that out.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmulating the secrecy, siloing and hierarchy of Apple will not result in Google being as good at focus and product as Apple.

Google needs to encourage lightweight experimentation (in a way that 20% time doesn't really do, since it's often "120% time"). Once there are a bunch of organizations who all want to prevent you from launching quickly and easily, innovation suffers.

Even line engineers, TLMs, and lower level managers are not in fact interchangeable, and the company (or at least the Sales organization) shouldn't re-org every few months.

People get promotions based on politics and who sucks up to whom, not based on merit.

Overrated!!!

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Google

Prosthe perks working here are very enticing

Consno room to really advance. You're just a number.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees!!! Don't be a Hi.P.P.O

Waste your life here

ProsGood fame
Good money
Free food/shuttle etc

ConsYou never have a career path.

You'll need months to figure out how to grad an easy number through the legacy system, needless to mention about the reviews, permissions etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from microsoft, cuz you are the microsoft of 2000 now.

Inconsistent managers plague Google

Engineering and Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Google

ProsPerks, food, successful company, some cool products, resume builder

ConsYour time at Google is entirely dependent on the capabilities of your manager.

I worked in MTV for 4.5 years and I've never been at a place with more inconsistent quality of managers. I reported to 6 managers during my time. A few were great, but others were horrifyingly bad. Had enough with my last manager, who was self serving and not well liked by his group, yet the company did NOTHING to remove him. Decided to chart my own course by joining a startup that was more human focused. Have not regretted my decision whatsoever. Much happier now. Too many Google managers are often the victim of their own hubris + lack of real world experience.

In 2005, Google was a place where you could change things and make decisions quickly. Now, it is a place to be a cog in a giant profit machine.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring people based on metrics like academic pedigree and grade point average. Focus on human skills and leadership ability. Proactively address cases of poor middle management rather than sticking your head in the sand.

unfair, boring place (at least outside of engineering)

I have been working at Google

Prosdelicious food, massages, TGIF/ other nice events, generally smart people (but also many are total weirdos), many engineers truly passionate about products

Consunfair/ slow promotions process (if you manager really likes you you get promoted, if they sort of like you you're in purgatorium forever, if they don't you're managed out). boring work. red tape. all big company problems and more. many products competing with each other or duplicating effort. chaos in communication between teams. bureaucracy in order to get simple stuff fone. Disrespect for non-eng functions. declining quality of hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementFIx all the above problems!!

Good place to start, but do not stay there for a long

Stff Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Google

ProsGoogle is the best place to start for a fresh graduate.
You can learn a lot here. I loved working on mapreduce infrastructure, the google implementation is years ahead of any implementation (hadoop etc) and learned a lot.
It was incredibly easy to find a job after I left Google, my experience was valued very much by other companies.
Until very recent times Google was the best place to work on new innovative projects in any area from information retrieval and natural language processing to large scale distributed system. The infrastructure of datacenters is very impressive, very few companies can give you similar resources.
It's up to employee to decide how much time he spends in his office and how much time he works from home.
Food is free and many other benefits are available.

ConsGoogle management is pretty bad. Many cool innovative ideas from engineers were "killed" by managers because they were unable to understand their importance. Projects similar to facebook and yelp were made in google long time ago and they did not start and succeed because of management failure. Top management never understood importance of social and local until very recent time.
Promotion system is really bad. I was glad to get my promotions but many people are very unhappy. There is no fair system to evaluate quality and amount of your results. Basically, everything depends on your manager, he likes you, you are doing very well, he dislikes you, you are in hell.
Recent privacy scandals were very embarrassing for many employees. I did not expect my company to intercept wi-fi traffic.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart respecting your employees and listening to them.
Start respecting privacy laws, so your employees will respect you and your policies

Up until 3 years ago amazing. Going public made it far too political, causing many issues with management & leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Google

ProsThey work hard, but are allowed to play hard. 3 free meals/day + unlimited snacks. Great company sponsored outings!

Consgetting very political, a lot of nepotism. Very negative vibe from employees regarding manager competency.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Google CEO Larry Page . All 99 reviews posted anonymously by Google employees.