Google Reviews

4.0

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights

Thrilling and Satisfying

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

One of the best experiences in my life, nothing can or probably will come to these few years of my life at Google.

Cons

Lack of proper work life balance, deadlines! deadlines! deadlines! Conference calls can be weird times of the day, but overall satisfying.

Schedule conference call at more decent hours of the days
    Feedback could be better received
    Pay be made more competitive

Elitist, Arrogant Managers with low self-awareness

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Google

Pros

Great food, amenities and good compensation.
    Excellent location in Chelsea.

Cons

#1- Current Recruiting practice has some very strange practices and the rather junior, mediocre recruiting staff are afraid to challenge

#2-Inflexible recruiting practices that hire against a set of ideals vs business needs. At least 1,000 people a day are screened out due to ridiculous ideals that are never questioned

#3-Recruiting practices that do not improve without 18 layers of approvals and weak recruiting leadership.

#4-Strong recruiters leave. Mediocre recruiters stay so that they can provide more convolution to an already convoluted process.

Hire for the business, creativity and potential, not academic credentials or schools. Get rid of the current recruiting leadership.

taxing

Current Employee - Product Tmanager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Tmanager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google

Pros

stock is doing well so i am happy

Cons

unorganized no focus to individual efforts

get real - stop pursuing pipe dream projects

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's becoming a place where most people are treated like servers -- interchangeable and replaceable.

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

In the right Eng group, young engineers will learn a lot. The food is good. The bicycles are handy.

Cons

For more senior people, odds are, you're going to be waiting a long time for any kind of promotion. You will also be way older than most of the people you work with, and your manager may or may not understand family commitments. (Google in general does.)

Your manager may or may not care about you. If you get a good manager, great. If you get a lousy one, it may or may not get fixed in any reasonable amount of time, and it can be hard to transfer out if you're having any difficulty with your manager. I had the worst manager of my 30 year career there, and should have just quit after I figured that out.

Emulating the secrecy, siloing and hierarchy of Apple will not result in Google being as good at focus and product as Apple.

Google needs to encourage lightweight experimentation (in a way that 20% time doesn't really do, since it's often "120% time"). Once there are a bunch of organizations who all want to prevent you from launching quickly and easily, innovation suffers.

Even line engineers, TLMs, and lower level managers are not in fact interchangeable, and the company (or at least the Sales organization) shouldn't re-org every few months.

People get promotions based on politics and who sucks up to whom, not based on merit.

Overrated!!!

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

the perks working here are very enticing

Cons

no room to really advance. You're just a number.

Listen to your employees!!! Don't be a Hi.P.P.O

Waste your life here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Good fame
    Good money
    Free food/shuttle etc

Cons

You never have a career path.

You'll need months to figure out how to grad an easy number through the legacy system, needless to mention about the reviews, permissions etc.

Learn from microsoft, cuz you are the microsoft of 2000 now.

Inconsistent managers plague Google

Former Employee - Engineering and Sales  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering and Sales in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Perks, food, successful company, some cool products, resume builder

Cons

Your time at Google is entirely dependent on the capabilities of your manager.

I worked in MTV for 4.5 years and I've never been at a place with more inconsistent quality of managers. I reported to 6 managers during my time. A few were great, but others were horrifyingly bad. Had enough with my last manager, who was self serving and not well liked by his group, yet the company did NOTHING to remove him. Decided to chart my own course by joining a startup that was more human focused. Have not regretted my decision whatsoever. Much happier now. Too many Google managers are often the victim of their own hubris + lack of real world experience.

In 2005, Google was a place where you could change things and make decisions quickly. Now, it is a place to be a cog in a giant profit machine.

Stop hiring people based on metrics like academic pedigree and grade point average. Focus on human skills and leadership ability. Proactively address cases of poor middle management rather than sticking your head in the sand.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!