Google

4.2 2,333 reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

(1,245 ratings)

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights
2,333 Employee Reviews

A Unique Company

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsYou get to work on problems that have incredible scale, reach, and impact: design things used every day by much of the world's population; or create data-driven algorithms on a scale not done anywhere else. Even as the company has continued to grow, the culture remains very idealistic and bottom-up, so a new person can have incredible impact.

I have worked at Google for many years (and I have worked at several other similar tech companies), and in the end, the thing that makes Google unique is the earnest idealism of the leadership. The press makes fun of the "don't be evil" mantra, but in many ways, both visible and hidden, the leadership is serious about devoting the company's energy to doing good in the world. You see it in things like the incredible care devoted to protecting the privacy of customer data; or in the clever promotion of healthy food in the cafes and kitchens. And you see it in the type of projects that get funded: not so many projects that chase the gimmick-of-the-day, but more funding towards projects with a vision of a better world.

An excellent place to work over the long run.

ConsThe bottom-up culture is not for everybody.

It can sometimes feel chaotic, as if managers can't decide what they want. That's because the culture of the company is very much "try things and see what works." It is a good company if you are opinionated and thrive on uncertainty and autonomy; it is a less good company if you are looking for clear, consistent directions.

An amazing 7 years

Team Lead (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros- Great people
    - Fantastic benefits
    - Amazing office and office facilities
    - Great culture and values

Cons- Highly competitive
    - So big now that progress is hard no matter how good you are
    - Innovation from the ground up can be hard
    - Performance management curves

Advice to Senior ManagementGoogle is a well oiled machine now so don't be afraid to take some risks in how things get done.

Work with some of the smartest people in the field, but with a very corporate feeling.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe perks are unbeatable. There are intern activities like a carnival, baseball game, Arcade Fire concert, 5K run, and plenty more. All of the perks available on the campus including gyms, 3 delicious meals per day in around 20 different cafes, and random classes taught by other Googlers are available for interns. The people you meet at Google are incredibly intelligent and always have cool ideas to talk about, and the work that Google gives you is always challenging and keeps you learning new things.

ConsThe cultural tries to maintain a startup feeling, but ends up being very corporate. There is heavy emphasis on secrecy around the campus and there are a lot of internal tools to learn before you can really become very productive. Because all three meals and so many activities are available on campus, the work life balance becomes hard to maintain and you end up working much more than 40 hours per week.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good compensation at a personal cost

Program Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsI know that as a single person I have enough to save, invest and live off of plus there is always room to pitch and execute on your own entrepreneurial ideas.

ConsThe mirage of work/life balance is really convincing. Bosses do not model balance and climate has become selfish and brutal over the past 7 years. Definitely embarrassed to say that I work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe Googley. Free, generous and whip smart. Always good humored and audaciously progressive.

Google work

Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsEverything are wonderful and very nice workplace

ConsOrganization is big and lots of organization

Best company I've ever worked for, including my own company

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe engineers here are the best I've ever worked with, hands down.
    The company promotes the right people and fires the right people.
    The pay, benefits, and perks are amazing.
    The people really care for each other and look out for one another.
    Work life balance is great.

ConsNo real cons come to mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Google underpays when it comes to staffing and recruiting. They are way below the market. There is no work life balance.

Technical Sourcer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsFree food and snacks.

ConsVery corporate now. The company is hierarchical and there is little to no access to management at the top. Long hours and no work life balance.

I really enjoyed it!

Recruiter (Former Employee)

ProsYou work around amazing people that are passionate about what they do. You are provided with the tools that you need to get your job done and then expected to go out and produce. The benefits/perks are also great.

ConsSometimes the environment is too nice. As changes cascade down from top management mid level management does not speak up and question or say no. This is not different from other companies, but with the culture there you would not expect it to happen so often.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo directly to the people that will be actually executing your plan for feedback as opposed to their managers. You will get honest feedback and potentially save the company a great deal of pain.

A company as any other

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosin the edge of technology, super perks.

Consimmature environment, sometimes lack of professionalism. kids in diapers that thing they know it all.

Advice to Senior Managementput some order there, meritocracy needs to be the prime path for growth, not politics, back-stabbing or "friends of friends"

learn to be global, Mountain View is not the center of the world or the pinnacle of talent pool.

Awesome

ProsYou can learn whatever you want , you can do whatever you want and ofcourse Unlimited Food .

ConsNothing as such , Unless until you dont work .

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!