Google
4.2 of 5 2,092 reviews
www.google.com Mountain View, CA 5000+ Employees

Google Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development"
    in 92 reviews
  • "Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro"
    in 207 reviews
Cons:
  • "This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging"
    in 85 reviews
  • "Google is no different than any other big company and they are starting to realize it"
    in 68 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A great place to work but upward mobility seems less than likely

BOLD Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Google

ProsStill one of the best places to work--amazing perks, a true commitment to work-life balance, incredible openness about important company information from the top-down, dedicated to providing feedback and resources to help you develop professionally, smart/friendly/driven individuals that you interact with every day

ConsBase pay is just okay; work is not easy (very sink or swim), lots of internal procedures are always changing and often confusing; difficult to maintain a balance with so many things going on at once (a diversity/chaos of activity)

Advice to Senior ManagementProviding opportunities for accelerated upward growth will help reward top talent

Good place to start, but do not stay there for a long

Stff Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Google

ProsGoogle is the best place to start for a fresh graduate.
You can learn a lot here. I loved working on mapreduce infrastructure, the google implementation is years ahead of any implementation (hadoop etc) and learned a lot.
It was incredibly easy to find a job after I left Google, my experience was valued very much by other companies.
Until very recent times Google was the best place to work on new innovative projects in any area from information retrieval and natural language processing to large scale distributed system. The infrastructure of datacenters is very impressive, very few companies can give you similar resources.
It's up to employee to decide how much time he spends in his office and how much time he works from home.
Food is free and many other benefits are available.

ConsGoogle management is pretty bad. Many cool innovative ideas from engineers were "killed" by managers because they were unable to understand their importance. Projects similar to facebook and yelp were made in google long time ago and they did not start and succeed because of management failure. Top management never understood importance of social and local until very recent time.
Promotion system is really bad. I was glad to get my promotions but many people are very unhappy. There is no fair system to evaluate quality and amount of your results. Basically, everything depends on your manager, he likes you, you are doing very well, he dislikes you, you are in hell.
Recent privacy scandals were very embarrassing for many employees. I did not expect my company to intercept wi-fi traffic.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart respecting your employees and listening to them.
Start respecting privacy laws, so your employees will respect you and your policies

Forward-thinking, innovative company with plenty of opportunities to grow

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Google

ProsGoogle has one of the best company environments I've ever worked in. People are friendly, intelligent, honest, and genuinely concerned about the user experience above all else.

ConsAs Google grows, it seems like there are hundreds of different projects going on at once. It is a bit overwhelming, but also very exciting to see that Google can foster such an open, start-up environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the incredible work! As Google has grown, the management team has successfully remained focused on the user and the employees.

Amazing if you're an engineer. Great if you're anything but.

I have been working at Google

Pros- Number of unparalleled perks and benefits
- Known for its young, intelligent, enthusiastic workforce
- Many opportunities for personal growth (classes and talks)

Cons- Easy to feel lost in the crowd
- If you're not an engineer, you're not valued as highly
- Projects move slowly (huge bureaucracy)
- Advancement within the company seems unusually difficult

Advice to Senior Management- Provide more opportunities for advancement within and across the company
- Engender greater respect for non-engineers (offer more engineer-like opportunities)

Great place to work

Manager (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Google

Prosgreat place to work but need to have more pay for the work they give

ConsMore work... not much pay..

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more benefits to employees

Great MBA Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Google

Pros-Great perks and benefits overall
-Smart people
-Ever-changing

Cons-The hiring process is intense
-A lot of information - difficult to manage it all (ironic, huh)

good place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Google

Prosgood work-life balance, openness about important company information from the top-down, dedicated to providing feedback and resources to help you develop professionally

Conspay is okay; work is not easy. lots of internal procedures are always changing and often confusing; not enough hierarchy; difficult to maintain a balance with so many things going on at once;

Advice to Senior Managementincrease number of interns and managers; increase base pay and reward according to accomplishment ; provide more locations to work; don't grow too fast

Its good

Financial Analyst II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Google

ProsWork life balance and the benefits by far

ConsToo Engineer focused and not much thought given to internal infrastructure and operations

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate all functions of the company and not just the engineers

Great place to learn, tough place to grow

Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Google

ProsAmazing opportunities to learn about technology, product management from some of the best and the brightest. You can instantly work on a high traffic product day one.

ConsHard to grow in your career. Lots of unattractive projects for new people. If you aren't careful, you can easily get stuck with something you don't want to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise salaries - they did this recently.

Don't give new people the unattractive work, find a way to distrubute it among current employees and spread the load.

Still a very nice place to work, after all these years

I have been working at Google

Pros- very nice engineering infrastructure, you can a lot of resources to do things you can never think of in other places

Cons- big and complex, could move faster in some areas

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Google CEO Larry Page . All 99 reviews posted anonymously by Google employees.