Google Reviews

2,571 Reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page
1,401 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 126 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 249 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 113 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 84 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Current Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- large focus on work-life balance
    - great opportunities and support for personal and career development
    - amazing co-workers and atmosphere

Cons

- Google is getting bigger and more liks a corporation

Seven wonderful years at Google.

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Google full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

#1 work with the most talented, driven, amazing, and nice people who will make you better
    #2 work on really interesting products that benefit millions of people
    #3 egalitarian culture, meritocracy; the value of the idea is what matters, not the status of the person promoting it
    #4 salary, benefits, perks pretty impossible to beat

Cons

#1 performance matters, you will have to work hard, work smart, and grow
    #2 it can be very demanding and ask a lot of you, require long hours sometimes

Demanding environment and touch schedule.

I worked at Google

Pros

Great salary and benefits and resources. The amount of intelligent people working for this company can be a bit overwhelming and forces you to be the best.

Cons

Hard to find free time outside of work. My family started to become distant and I came to the realization that I needed to spend more time with them. Hopefully Google will offer more work from home and vacation opportunities.

More vacation

Satisfied Intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The Boulder office is a tight-knit group of passionate, empathic people. Good pay. Good people. Good food. Reasonable working hours.
    Only breakfast and lunch are served at the Boulder office, which is one of the things that makes the Boulder office so relaxed. It doesn't seem like people feel the need to stay until the late hours of the night, although you're totally welcome to if you like. Just do your work, get along with your coworkers, and everyone is happy.

Cons

Sometimes the work was too interesting, and my coffee would become cold before I could drink it.

Keep it up

awesome place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

google is a great place to work at, you get all the facilities you can imagine, free food, gym, manageable timings..
    you get to work with the most intelligent people in the word, so your time in goole will be awesome.. salary is awesome too.

Cons

not that many challenges you get in google. you will get help whenever you stuck at anything. first couple of months adjusting to work can be hard.

nothing to say,, they r doing a great job..

Amazing place to work!!

Current Employee - Principal in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Principal in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Great work-life balance (coming from a consulting background, so anything less than 60 hrs a week is great!)
    - Outstanding perks - company is really generous to its employees
    - Cool projects and products - use gmail for work! no outlook, no lotus notes!

Cons

- Complicated cross-functional organization design - company is organized around products vs. marketing & sales. Hard to coordinate and move people across functions to action

Reduce complexity! Streamline decision-making!

Everything I need to be happy for a long time

Current Employee - Developer Advocate in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Developer Advocate in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love what I do. My work is used by lots and lots of users. It's cool stuff that makes people happy. I'm learning a lot which will make me employable within Google and elsewhere. I get to go home whenever I want to enjoy my free time and I make enough money to travel.

Cons

Not all jobs at Google are great. Some of them might be on bad projects or ineffective teams. If this happens to you it's probably in your best interest to transfer to another team.

Make sure your employees always feel comfortable complaining about you. And the use those complaints to make the company better.

It was an incredible summer with a balance of intense technical work, google fun, and amazing food.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The culture and people are excellent. People are very passionate, smart, and brilliant. The benefits are unmatched. As an intern, as long as you got your work done, the work-life balance can be anything you want it to be, which makes everything very flexible and great.

Cons

As an intern, there were few if any cons. The general con of being at a large company and not really getting to know everyone definitely applies, but that's honestly not an unreasonable con.

Excellent Place to work at!

Current Employee - Google Applications Enterprise Support in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Google Applications Enterprise Support in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great perks: free food, arcade, gym, pool table, laundry, snack bar, bus service. There are weekly one on one meetings to gauge performance and provide advice, which I find very useful.

Cons

Difficult if you are a contract position as they do no convert on a regular basis. It sometimes also feels that you are treated as '2nd-class' as you are not a full-time employee.

Would be nice if you converted more contract employees, especially if they performed very well and to the best of their abilities

You learn an incredible amount in just 11 weeks!

I have been working at Google

Pros

The supportive network of Googlers and office culture

Cons

There are literally no cons to this internship.