Google Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
3162 reviews filtered by

1. Google is a great place to work if you like being constantly challenged.

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a huge variety of technology to build and utilize. Some roles require spinning up jobs across a huge number of machines where others are similarly challenging by targeting a wide variety of client hardware.

Cons

Some teams have a very startup like environment that doesn't suit everyone. Projects get started, some succeed and grow continuing to get funded, others wither and die due to lack of funding and in some cases the eye of sauron tears projects down. It's a very dynamic environment with a steady pay check.

The company continues to grow at a solid pace which is a reflection of the environment of experimentation fostered over the years. It would be great to continue with this model to enable our bright engineers build and scale amazing ideas at the company.

Not perfect, but wonderful.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Take away everything else, and the reason to work at Google is the people. I've learned more here than I have anywhere else, and everyone I've worked with has been mutually interested in improving each other. Being able to attend engineering talks by people all over the organization (and world) is a hugely enriching experience.

Beyond that, all the perks are great:

- Opportunity to make changes that affect huge numbers of users

- Employees are judged by their contributions: nobody cares when you're in the office. It's very easy to set your own work life balance. Management knows that happy well-balanced workers are the most productive ones.

- Incredible build environment: there's a huge amount of power at a developer's fingertips. Reviewing, testing, and code health are taken seriously.

- Fascinating infrastructure: the internal environment is very open, and it's thrilling to be able to poke around and see how the Google machine ticks.

- Leadership keeps us in the loop: we may not always like what they have to say, but we get weekly opportunities to ask upper management questions.

- Tons of delicious food and snacks with huge variety: I've started eating five small meals on workdays instead of three big ones.

- Ability to job hunt internally: if you get tired of doing what you're doing, you can do a mini job application to start with a new team.

- Medical benefits: I'm continually surprised at what's covered with just a $15 copay.

- Parties: Halloween and Christmas mean big fun elaborate parties, and there are lower key events like stargazing parties too.

- Transportation: don't get me wrong, bay area traffic sucks, but being able to take a shuttle instead of driving gives me a good opportunity to get reading done without having to worry about transfers or other public transit snags.

- Stock awards with value: sure, I missed the high risk high reward boat on this, but I probably would have bought Google stock even if I never worked here.

- One hell of a rubber stamp for my resume in my eventual future job finding endeavors.

Cons

Google is inevitably becoming bigger and more corporate as time goes on. Sometimes leadership will make a decision that seems only to benefit the company to the detriment of employees or users. If you step back, everything is still great overall so it's hard to complain, but it can be troubling at times. Whenever that happens I just hug my stock real tight and remember that I can always bail if things actually start going south. So far nothing's made me consider leaving.

3. A great company to work for

I worked at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smartest people to work with

Cons

Too stressful. It's a competitive environment where expectations are high.

Keep up the good work. Find way to diversify revenue going forward.

5. Provide advanced professionals with support to organizing C level executives/management across multi business department

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Google full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working in a different environment, with multi levels of executives. Interesting and very challenging. Something new every day.

Cons

Can't think of one at the present time!

Be on time with reports and meetings. Be truthful IF you don't know how to present it. Follow your gut instincts.

6. This company exceeded my expectations in every way except for the social aspect.

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- fun work that impacts millions of people and is helping to change the world
    - always learning and growing, peers are brilliant and help you grow
    - great compensation
    - great food
    - flexible work hours
    - a surprising amount of transparency from 'the top'

Cons

- peers are brilliant so you might feel inadequate
    - sink or swim mentality. you're expected to be a self-starter and independent learner. they have resources to help you but, in the end, you have to figure out how to learn and get things done on your own

- listen to the employees when they make a big deal about products and policies and internal trends

7. Very interesting place. Lots going on and lots of opportunity for growth.

Current Contractor - Test Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Contractor - Test Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of flexibility and room to take initiative.

Cons

Not a lot of process so make sure you know how to take initiative.

Sometimes slowing down can be better than moving too fast.

8. Incredible Workplace

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love how I'm treated at the company.

Cons

Can't think of anything publicly. That's one of the pros... If I have an issue, I can have it addressed internally and taken car of.

9. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Fabulous perks, salary and fun environment!

Cons

Working overtime and promotions not easily achieved

Keep up the good communication and relations

10. Great company

I worked at Google

Pros

everything about Google is fantastic, they treat their employees super well and hire talented staff across the board. hard to get a job here but well worth the work

Cons

Not much that I can think of. Occasionally gets a little competitive. Expectations are VERY high

Keep up all the good work and we love your vision. You guys rock

11. Great company

I worked at Google

Pros

Fast learning environment, great benefits, had a good time working there

Cons

didn't get the attention for my work