Google

www.google.com
Employer Engaged

Paradise with a few setbacks

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are so many people who are recognized world-wide and have their own wikipedia page that you can meet while working at this company. There is also a death benefit, which is when a Google employee passes away, their stock vests immediately, and their surviving spouse receives 50% of their salary for the next 10 years. They really do want to take care of you.

Cons

This is just the inevitable problem associated with companies that amass a large size and establishment in the market, but it's hard for employees themselves to innovate. Also, there are just too many over-qualified employees at Google who are relegated to simpler roles.

Regress to the original organization of a startup: zero committees. Everyone must have a voice in innovating.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Segment Lead in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Segment Lead in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers, perks, salary, interesting products, great career opportunities.

Cons

The Bay Area is getting increasingly expensive.

Interesting experience

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I definitely enjoyed working with all the smart and motivated people in the company.
    They also treat their employees very well and I always felt needed, which I think it is a very strong motivator aside from the perks.
    They are also very flexible with time off and working from home, which also I respect, because they understand that their employees have their own lives to lead and work dosent always come first.

Cons

Sometimes, people seem a bit pretentious. Working with some of these people with large egos could be challenging and dosent make for the best work environment.
    However, most of the time, the management is very in tune and sought to avoid problems with employees.

Keep up the good work!

One of the best combinations of work and play

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Google as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Incredible perks (i.e. bowling alley, juice bar, indoor rock climbing wall) and driven employees. Such a rewarding atmosphere to work in.

Cons

Because of the highly qualified employees, the atmosphere can also at times feel competitive.

Great Experience

Former Contractor - Training Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Training Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Google as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Working with incredible people and learning a lot about the tech industry

Cons

Being on contract you are completely closed out from GROW, and therefore working on and developing new skills.

Great overall working experience here.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and great employee interactions.

Cons

The commute from San Francisco can be a little long but is rewarding when you get to work here.

Keep doing what you're doing. It's working out great.

Incredible mentorship and intern work that was deep and substantial

Former Intern - User Interaction Design in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - User Interaction Design in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

My manager, and other designers and engineers on my team, took the time to tell me about the history of the product I was working on, and what design and development work was currently happening. I felt very involved and invested in everything my team was working on, even though I only directly worked on a few things. My manager also made sure I could choose between a few intern projects according to my goals. I ended up working on something that I was deeply interested in, allowed me to build important skills (that have been extremely valuable in searching for future internships)…and it shipped! I became close to other design interns, and many of them had stories about their managers searching out projects and opportunities where they could make a—excuse the cliché—substantial impact.

The design community within Google is extremely welcoming, and I met some great designers across the company who were very willing to give career advice. There were tons of internal resources to help me learn the ropes and teach myself some new skills.

Obviously, the perks were great. But I think the professional mentorship and experience I got (I have an awesome thing to put in my portfolio, too!) would have made it worth it even if I didn't get free food.

Cons

I was never too lazy to walk to the kitchenette for snacks, but I was always too lazy to go to the gym. Struggles.

(No cons, really. The entire experience was great for me.)

Google's internship program isn't used to supporting design interns. A few things from the first few weeks bothered me—a lot of the "welcome to Google!" onboarding stuff assumed everyone was an engineering intern, and I was assigned a Chromebook (how am I going to design with that?) my first week. My manager had to put in extra work to get my equipment to me so I could start working on a project.

I would have loved more events specific to design interns—lectures, round tables, social events. I think this is something that needs to improve as Google continues to hire more design interns.

Amazing benefits and relaxed work experience with lots of opportunities for growth

Former Intern - User Experience Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - User Experience Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great, the attitude is really relaxed. People are very willing to chat with you about anything and they really want to share their knowledge with people The lifestyle is amazing, with opportunities for improvement in all areas that you could imagine including health

Cons

There is the tendency to stay on campus really late so work life balance isn't great. I'd also say the feedback system was lacking and my specific manager was not always helpful when I was trying to get advice on how to improve.

An amazing place to work, grow, and have fun

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Google

Pros

Strong management, great pay, out-of-this-world perks, many growth opportunities, and so much fun

Cons

Big company - this can be a turn off for some, but it's never bothered me a bit

They are great at challenging us to think differently and not being stuffy. Keep doing what you're doing.

Fast-paced work environment; smart people.

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Google (less than a year)

Pros

A lot of the coworkers are extremely smart. You are given lots of responsibility and you have the ability to work on new and exciting products.

Cons

Although it is not formalized, many people work long hours. Also, it is easy to feel overwhelmed or even out-of-place in the office. The standards are very high.