Google Reviews

2,477 Reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page
1,341 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights

challenging, supportive, focused, important

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Google full-time for less than a year

Pros

NYC, meals, soccer team, meals, benies,

Cons

don't know yet, will find out inevitably

I had a great sit-down talk with someone outside my group about my long term plans. I hope everyone gets that talk,

Great 3 years with full of fun and nice experience

Former Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Google full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company culture, working with smart people, as an organization open to new ideas, feedback mechanism where everyone can be assessed no matter what their position is.

Cons

Salaries are not that satisfying, getting promotion does not only depend on how well you do your job but you need some show off to be visible at management level.

Encouraging people to get involved in side projects is good whereas it sometimes make people feel that they have to do it just to get promotion. That causes people waste their times working on useless projects just to show they are in "a project".

Great summer working on open source projects.

I worked at Google as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Highly smart and supportive people. Lots to learn from everyone.

Cons

Didn't get much exposure thereafter.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good work for hard-working people

Current Employee - Web Developer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google full-time for more than a year

Pros

Rewards for performance rather than according to position. Excellent learning possibilities internally as well externally even if not related to a role.

Cons

Working with lots of experienced professionals is a challenge itself. Be sure to be ready to work with competitive(in good way) people that challenge the status quo.

Wide range of possibilities in taking time off of any kind. Constant emphasis on self development. If you want to be heard you will be heard.

Great people, great values

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The benefits and care of employees is obviously world class, and compensation is almost unmatchable. But the company attracts some of the best talent and best people to work with in the world, which is the most important bit. Potential impact is always huge, and it's great to wake up in the morning and hear that the company you work for is going to try and defeat death, or bring internet in balloons to rural areas.

Cons

Google has gotten really large, and depending on where you are in the company, some bureaucracy and politics can get in the way. The company is very conscious of it, though, so it's less than you might see at other companies of this size. Launching is also the main emphasis -- it's hard to hire some of the brightest people in the world and ask them to just maintain some code base. Almost everyone is very entrepreneurial and always want to be working on new things, so maintaining things and following through of things can sometimes be difficult.

Awesome company

I have been working at Google

Pros

Culture is great so are people

Cons

No cons or negatives at all

Best place to intern!

Current Employee - Engineering Practicum Intern  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Practicum Intern in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Generous housing stipend. Salary is not super high but there are free food and free shuttle to make it up. Very supportive & friendly managers, host, mentors and co-workers. Lots of training classes for personal development. Lots of resources. Almost everything/everyone is accessible.

Cons

No personal rooms even for managers. Open workspace is quite distracting. The first few weeks are very intimidating and over-whelming.

Red Badge... aka Temp

I worked at Google as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I really was amazed by all the amenities on campus.

Even though I was just a temp... it was a chance to socialize & work with some very smart people.

Cons

For most red badges, (temps), there is absolutely no chance of them ever being hired on as a full-time employee.

However, that doesn't stop some of them from trying with a "take no prisoners" approach.

They will throw you under the bus & stab you in the back whenever possible.

Always CYA !

Say "hi" to some of the red badges when they walk by.

Good experience for summer

Current Employee - Summer Engineering Intern  in  Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Summer Engineering Intern in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Google as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I really appreciate the nice food of Google's cafe. I also love the harmonious environment in Google, such as various activities like sports meeting, Take your child at work, etc. I meet so many friendly colleagues. Besides, I enjoy Google's flexible hours.

Cons

Salaries for summer interns in China are not high, especially for undergraduate students, compared to interns in U.S.

Hope there will be more cool teams in China.

Great place to work

I have been working at Google

Pros

benefits, food, terrific co workers

Cons

crowded, competing for talent, remote offices

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!