Google

4.2 2,333 reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

(1,244 ratings)

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights
2,333 Employee Reviews

Great place to build your career

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros- A lot of mobility available - career shifts to sales, marketing, etc are possible
    - International travel and mobility highly possible
    - All the perks you hear about are true! Free food, great vacation packages, etc.
    - Many opportunities for advancing education, personal growth, etc.
    - Work life balance very good on most teams I've been a part of

Cons- You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape
    - Most opportunities are in Mountain View HQ - a horrendous commute no matter how you swing it if you're living in SF
    -Many teams have an 'ivy league only' culture that can be stifling
    -Email and meeting culture can be real time sucks

Advice to Senior Management- Do something about the bureaucratic red tape
    - Proactively demonstrate more creativity and innovation - even in roles like sales and marketing
    - Be more marketing led, rather than product led

Hr process is not great.

ProsPerks. Benefits are great, but work culture depends only on your team

ConsBase salary is much lower than expected

Advice to Senior ManagementBase salary is much lower than expected

Great workplace, inspires you to come to work everyday

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsCutting edge technology, best-in-class colleagues, working with industry leaders.
    Great perks and benefits (probably the best), and best of all, the Googley culture.
    Being at the forefront of what is shaping the world's digital future.

ConsEverybody is smart, so it does get very competitive. Promotions get unduly given to folks at times.
    There is a strong focus on operating efficiency which is good, but it does tend to clash with the free-flowing culture of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on promoting faster to avoid losing great talent. This tends to be the major reason for people leaving, as most other things are fantastic here.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great resources to train new engineers, lots of fun and collaboration

Software Engineer Intern (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsFlexible work schedule, good pay, fascinating projects, learn tons, think about new problems, really interesting co-workers

Consvery ambitious company makes work environment stressful at times. It is easy to feel like you don't measure up to your coworkers

Best Company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThey «take care» about your health;
    They provide you many transports inside google;
    They provide you a nice salary, the best food;
    There are great people and great environments to work on;
    There are everything you need to play, think, rest, sleep.
    Inside Google, there's another world, on the other side of the universe. A better world that want to make the difference.

ConsProbably you will not want to leave of your workplace (Google).

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing to say about this.

Wonderful Place

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsBenefits, perks, interesting projects, learning and growth opportunity. Google offers a lot of career development, and even a lot of entertainment onsite.

ConsOverheads of checking in codes, politics in certain groups. Sometimes people are spending a lot of time working just on trivial stuff.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on technical stuff

Positive and challenging.

Web Developer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros* Open bottom-up culture.
    * Never a dull moment.

Cons* Lots of competition from all the very smart coworkers. Promotions are challenging.

Great environment!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsCompany cares about individual and provide opportunities for future career development. Great environment, and feel motivated all the time.

ConsI don't have cons in my mind. I live in SF, and maybe commute can be a tiny concern.

The best working environment in the world

ProsFree food nice people very good pay

ConsThere is no con about google its amazing

Still good pay, still a good place to work

ProsPay
    Work
    People

That pretty much covers it. And here are a few more words so that glassdoor will let me submit.

ConsNot quite as exciting as some other companies. Food isn't as good as it used to be. You might be exposed to the tiniest bit of politics if you make it high enough. Nothing but first world problems.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!