Google

www.google.com
  www.google.com

Google Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.9

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 140 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 122 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 93 reviews)

More Highlights

Quality Rater while in school

Former Employee - Quality Rater
    Former Employee - Quality Rater

I worked at Google

Pros

Was a remote job. All web based. Nice on the resume. Very few requirements other than languages speaking and search knowledge.

Cons

No cons to complain about. The job was simple enough. The pay wasn't high enough to justify any sort of con list. I was a peon!

Had no management. Was all web based with electronic report cards based on how fast you worked and the quality of work performed.

Financial Analyst from 2007 - 2009

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Innovative products/projects, intelligent people, brand/company recognition, compensation

Cons

Flat hierarchy, little room for career advancement

Find other ways to keep employees satisfied

Still a great place where you can change the world

I have been working at Google

Pros

There are few places where your work can have the same impact it will have at Google. Your products touch millions of people, and millions or billions in revenue.

Cons

The company is getting really big. Products and infrastructures are huge now. Launching new products is getting really hard. Persuading people to go for a new idea can be an endless round of futile meetings. Getting promoted is harder now as the company is top heavy.

Focus more on enabling innovation to happen, and planning career paths for your employees.

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Highly recommend it! Entrusted with a lot of responsibility.

Cons

Not much to say here :)

Keep doing a great job.

Working as a "Vendor" (Contractor) at Google

Former Employee - Senior Java Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Java Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

It is much easier to work at Google as a contractor. The interview process was compressed to one phone screen and a 3 one-hour interviews on-site. The team I worked with was very supportive, and gave us a lot of flexibility and discretion in how we completed the tasks.

Cons

Again, being a vendor instead of a Googler, is not quite as bad as being a 2nd class citizen, but it was close. I also found the group I was in to be close to complacent and risk averse.

The distinction between Googlers and Vendors should be decreased. It could be handled more like the Intern programs in terms of bringing people on board. One could start by chaning the color of the vendor badges from red to blue or green.

Great perks, and great for your resume/career

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

The work and projects are very challenging; Google's products have wide visibility; great food and perks, and working for Google is great for your resume.

Google rewards their top performers well. Base salary tends to run at around the 50th percentile in the industry, but annual bonuses the last few years have been ~25% of salary (it's not uncommon for above average performers to receive bonuses of 25-35% of salary).

Google also matches 401K contributions up to $8,250 for U.S. workers. BTW, 401K matching is something I really wished Glassdoor keeps data on. When comparing overall compensation of two or more companies, you have to account for 401K matching.

Cons

The company has grown substantially during the 4+ years I've been here. Management does a good job in trying to limit bureaucracy, but there's definitely more bureaucracy than there was 4 years ago.

Also, base salaries tend to be much lower than competitors. For a company that prides itself on hiring the best, they certainly don't pay the best when it comes to base salary.

The company made an excellent hire with the (relatively) new CFO. Lot's of waste has been eliminated. Let's keep plugging away at inefficiencies, focus the bulk of our staff and resources on products and projects that matter, and stay humble.

Growing Pains

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

The swag, food, and pride of working for a profitable company are definitely worth the problems that the company faces.

Cons

Everyone's had the kool-aide! They are having growing pains, too. It is a terrible place to start a career, many would say.

I would say grow up.

OK place to work but it's a *big* company now

I have been working at Google

Pros

Google has a bunch of smart people. Also, there is a strong culture from old-timers to question the status quo and make this drastically better. It's also great pedigree for a resume. Pay is pretty good compared to other companies, the perks too. The shuttle service is great if you live in SF.

Cons

very arrogant culture. Old-timers may have a sense of entitlement. Not much growth potential anymore unless you are politically connected with stars. Too many cooks in the kitchen. Too bottoms up, makes cross-team work potentially frustrating. Many remote offices are weak. If you work with a remote team, get ready for a bunch of "C" players with poor cultural fit.

Thin the ranks of management. Have stronger goals across teams (try reading lencioni's silos, politics and turf wars.) Be careful to reward those who work on thankless jobs and not just the Latitudes and other sexy launches. Reward quality over launching crap (several eng dirs are terrible about this.)

Google overview

I have been working at Google

Pros

I like Google for it's transparent culture, free food and other perks (well, but those are baked in the total compensation package anyway).

Cons

Relatively flat org means there are few chances for one to advance. It is not uncommon to have a senior manager with 40+ directs. There are lots of smart people. In a way, it is a good thing. The downside is that a lot of them want to play safe, which hampers innovation.

H

Good placeo to work. No room for advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York Mls, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York Mls, MN

I have been working at Google

Pros

- Good food
    - Good perk
    - Smart people
    - Fun culture
    - Good reputation. Great to have on a resume

Cons

- Very hard to move up in the org
    - Too many cooks in the kitchen
    - Too many teams doing parallel work

- Growth is slowing. Need to buy smaller companies that can accelerate growth again.
    - Change incentive structure. Hard to motivate people when there is little chance of over achievement.