Google Reviews

Reset

1. The best employer I've ever had

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

- available food onsite - very competitive salary - good bonuses - variety of projects - clear communication w/ management - smart people working there

Cons

- traffic in the morning around the main campus - no "start-up" feeling any more - lot's of people, lot's of projects

Interesting work and smart people, but very hierarchical

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great benefits, smart people, good connections, looks great on resume, interesting projects, provides transportation if applicable, lots of resources and funding for projects

Cons

Hierarchical, lots of levels of management, not a design focused company, "the more features the better" perspective, some copying of other startup ideas.

Advice to Management

focus on new products are are simple and innovative rather than stuffing every possible feature in each product.

Waste your life here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Good fame Good money Free food/shuttle etc

Cons

You never have a career path. You'll need months to figure out how to grad an easy number through the legacy system, needless to mention about the reviews, permissions etc.

Advice to Management

Learn from microsoft, cuz you are the microsoft of 2000 now.

I hate my job at Google

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

Nice perk, good compensation. Love the free food.

Cons

Little career growth. Bas Middle management

Advice to Management

Focus on core business and stop investing into peripheral areas.

6. good

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

everything looks fine to me

Cons

almost no cons to me

7. Very stimulating environment and great job satisfaction

Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

You will have a chance to work with some of the smartest people in the industry

Cons

No real cons, but you have to be very good and productive to keep the job

Advice to Management

Keep it up guys!

Great company... but not for life

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

- Average level of engineers is very high. Not everyone is a superstar, but there are practically no "dummies". - Lots of interesting technologies to learn. Many things have been almost a revelation for me. - Management is generally competent and caring, but see below. - High transparency, especially of technology - can easily find and look at any code. Projects are usually well documented, removing unnecessary obstacles for learning. - Free food, shuttle rides to work, pretty generous vacation time.

Cons

- Work may be stressful - Promotion opportunities may be limited - You may start to feel strange: highly-qualified, competent... and just one "number" among others - Cramped cubicles - Since about a year ago, switching groups became much more difficult. I've been very happy at Google for the first 2-3 years (see "Pros"). The work could be demanding, but that was not bad, since demands were coming from other engineers eager to use my stuff and eager to report any problems, cooperate, etc. However, gradually I started to feel as if the company hires the best and brightest only to put them under a nice, but hard-working manager, whose task is to keep them busy at all times no matter what. That's where most of my work stress eventually started to come from - though maybe it was just my personal "luck". I had a feeling that despite creating several successful projects, other achievements and expertise in several areas, I am not officially allowed any time to contemplate what to do next and what may be the best thing for me (and the company). Instead, I just have to generate code and other signs of activity every hour. That was exacerbated by the fact that since summer 2010 engineers lost their privilege to freely switch work groups. You could only go where the upper management thought there is opportunity for the company. Again, that felt like less respect to the very people who, being so bright, are supposed to also sniff where the next useful thing really is. Eventually, I left for a job at a research lab. So far I am compensated less well overall, but I am much, much more happy (for now at least :-))

Advice to Management

Respect engineers - you come from the same background! Give them, at least at certain level and above, more chance to decide themselves what to do (or not to do) and which group to work at. Also think how to improve promotion chances for those who work on less "sexy" or well-known projects.

9. Furthering my education

Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

Pros

Career development, impact and range.

Cons

Compensation and lack of transparency at times.

Everybody loves you

Former Employee - Visitor Greeter in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Visitor Greeter in Mountain View, CA

Pros

everyone wants to join Google because it is a giant party. Free Food, onsite everything, free seminars, movies and lectures. But you have go to produce. They don't care if you party all week long but when the deadline arrives, you need to deliver.

Cons

Engineers rule at Google. Leadership and management are weak, as these geeky guys and gals are more comfortable talking to their keyboard then to subordinates. The lack of leadership is one of the great weaknesses for this organization.

Advice to Management

Leadership matters. You can't just throw a bunch of engineers at a problem with little oversight, planning and motivation and hope to have a happy ending.

11. very good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

Pros

great work lot of bucks

Cons

no issues at all whatsoever

Advice to Management

great work

RSS Feed </> Embed