Google Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
2033 reviews filtered by

Energetic office environment, great colleagues, okay total compensation, diificult location

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Motivated and intelligent coworkers. Good food, snacks, and drinks. Opportunities for business travel. Internal transfer is highly supported. Engaging work and the (potential) ability to have a large impact. People generally behave predictably and professionally. Numerous company sponsored activities, groups, and classes. Shuttle system is efficient if you can handle the 2 to 4 hour round trip commute from SF.

Cons

Suburban office location is quite dull. Cost of living is *extremely* high. Total compensation is just okay considering the latter. The salary however, is just plain mediocre. You often learn about the cool things Google does after it leaks to the media, not internally. Many products and positions lack excitement and attention. The sales/partnerships side of the company will always play second fiddle to engineering (no surprise there). Many of the sales jobs are difficult to recommend to bright, high potential candidates. Loud and sometimes distracting 'bull pen' style offices. Google is a massive company. The size can be disheartening.

The organization is increasingly hierarchal, with a long chain of managers. Keeping things flat will help the company stay nimble. There's significant functional division and minimal collaboration across functions among those working on the same product (Sales, Marketing, and Engineering). I love the willingness to discuss heated topics internally.

2. Google is a great place to work if you like being constantly challenged.

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a huge variety of technology to build and utilize. Some roles require spinning up jobs across a huge number of machines where others are similarly challenging by targeting a wide variety of client hardware.

Cons

Some teams have a very startup like environment that doesn't suit everyone. Projects get started, some succeed and grow continuing to get funded, others wither and die due to lack of funding and in some cases the eye of sauron tears projects down. It's a very dynamic environment with a steady pay check.

The company continues to grow at a solid pace which is a reflection of the environment of experimentation fostered over the years. It would be great to continue with this model to enable our bright engineers build and scale amazing ideas at the company.

3. A great company to work for

I worked at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smartest people to work with

Cons

Too stressful. It's a competitive environment where expectations are high.

Keep up the good work. Find way to diversify revenue going forward.

5. Great opportunity to tackle real business problems, disorganized internal structure and management.

Former Intern - Bold(Global Customer Experience) in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Intern - Bold(Global Customer Experience) in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Google as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great food, tons of resources to use to do your job, great opportunity to gain hands-on experience in an internship.

Cons

Too many unrealistic metrics, managers were out of touch.

Focus on how you can incentivize and encourage employee behavior with customers rather than penalize employees with metrics. Internal pipelines for solving technical and escalation problems are currently a mess, and the team's metrics suffer because of that.

6. A unique place to work... just not satisfying for me

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Top notch talent... I've never worked with such a collection of smart and passionate folks. Benefits are obviously among the best in the business. Tech support staff that's actually knowledgeable and responsive... stuff actually gets resolved quickly (may seem funny to harp on that but the point is... the company makes investments to make problems like this vanish)

Cons

Definitely felt like a smaller fish in a big pond... not used to that. Although they've invested mightily in developer productivity, there are still a lot of impediments. Part of why I left was I didn't have faith/passion about the product strategy I was working within (won't say why I left). Bottom line is, I'm a very PRODUCT focused engineer, not a TECHNOLOGY focused engineer... I know that may seem odd but it's true. If you want to go to a place and grapple with technical challenges on scales you are unlikely to find elsewhere and are not easily frustrated by capricious product strategy this would be a great place for you! Just not for me.

Think hard about whether you've grown to provincial. It's true you face challenges that only a handful of other companies come close to however it felt like your ranks are swelled with academics and folks who've spent most if not all of their careers at the company.

Great company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Innovation, culture, perks, technological infrastructure.

Cons

Stress levels, poor work-life balance, promotion process,.

8. It was an awesome experience, love Google!

I worked at Google

Pros

It's a dream company to work for, with great benefits and an amazing work culture!

Cons

Does not feel like a start-up anymore!

9. Provide advanced professionals with support to organizing C level executives/management across multi business department

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Google full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working in a different environment, with multi levels of executives. Interesting and very challenging. Something new every day.

Cons

Can't think of one at the present time!

Be on time with reports and meetings. Be truthful IF you don't know how to present it. Follow your gut instincts.

10. Very interesting place. Lots going on and lots of opportunity for growth.

Current Contractor - Test Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Contractor - Test Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of flexibility and room to take initiative.

Cons

Not a lot of process so make sure you know how to take initiative.

Sometimes slowing down can be better than moving too fast.

11. This company exceeded my expectations in every way except for the social aspect.

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- fun work that impacts millions of people and is helping to change the world
    - always learning and growing, peers are brilliant and help you grow
    - great compensation
    - great food
    - flexible work hours
    - a surprising amount of transparency from 'the top'

Cons

- peers are brilliant so you might feel inadequate
    - sink or swim mentality. you're expected to be a self-starter and independent learner. they have resources to help you but, in the end, you have to figure out how to learn and get things done on your own

- listen to the employees when they make a big deal about products and policies and internal trends