Google Reviews

2093 reviews filtered by

Excellent

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting and complex stuff to work on, at Google scale. Talented engineers to work with. Very flexible schedule, awesome perks, etc.

Cons

Somewhat random promotion process, flawed interviewing process (no know alternative there). I referred a lot of very good candidates, only one was eventually hired.

Advice to Management

Many managers don't spend enough time paying attention to their direct reports' careers. You don't just decide last minute you support somebody for promotion - you help him/her plan 6 months ahead for that, so that when the time comes he/she is well positioned.

2. Lifestyle of a contractor

I have been working at Google

Pros

you get lots of freedom

Cons

this lifestyle can be stressful

3. Software Engineer

I have been working at Google

Pros

Nice work place, good perks

Cons

Long working hours, long commute

5. Great company, but if you're a contractor....uh..

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Google as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The perks are great, first of all! The co-workers on a project can be FLAT-OUT AMAZING! They really make the day-to-day work go by really fast.

Cons

This is Google, so, they want the best out of everyone: including their contractors. However, you are treated like a red-headed step-child, as you are not an official "Googler". It's hard to move up in the company, as a contractor, as you can chose to move to different projects, before you get "the call". Which can take either months or years, in some cases.

The workflow is OVERBEARING, sometimes. Sometimes, the managers on a project can be either awesome or flat-out micro-managers (the managers are not Google employee's, but rather contractors themselves, but some are just socially-awkward), which makes going into work a chore, or in some cases, wishing they would leave when their shift is done.

Extremely competitive every single day, while Google wants you to cancel out anything in your life. Work-life balance is NON-EXISTENT: you're basically just another brick in the wall to them. Especially if you're a contractor.

The tools that you've learned here, well, good luck transferring them to another company. They're worthless outside of Google. Oh, spoiler alert: if you have a few bad days, as a contractor, well, you can be let go at anytime. Basically, you're fighting for your job. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY! There is no security as a contractor.

Pay is eh, at best. Workload can be very tough to handle. Some contract managers can either be great to handle or asking what you had for breakfast on March 27, 2001, because they want to know. *Sarcasm*

Advice to Management

Recognize your contractors and chose the best ones to make official Googlers. Also, take into consideration the work-life balance. We all have lives/families that we want to live and see. Realize that we don't want to spend all of our time at work: some want to leave work at work.

6. marketing

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

people and perks are top notch

Cons

processes and politics are sadly more and more of an issue

7. Great work environment!

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Google as a contractor

Pros

Collaborative environment, some perks shared with contractors, nice facilities, and SUPER smart employees.

Cons

Parking can be a pain but that's about it. Add more fancy commodes, it's a bummer that there are only 3-4 per building. :-)

Advice to Management

You're doing everything right.

Strategic Partnership Manager - Mobile

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As good as a company at scale can be. Great access to tools and metrics, impact on a global scale. Smart people abound.

Cons

Given the size, it can be challenging to have great impact on an individual level.

9. Developer

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

Food everywhere, best employee facility

Cons

Google became evil, they have become money hungry

Advice to Management

Don't be hungry for money only

10. Great perks, people, and career mobility

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

Great perks, people, and career mobility

Cons

Getting larger so feel like you're making less of an impact

11. Human Resources

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

A great place to work with an awesome team environment. Great room for growth and development throughout entire organization.

Cons

There are really no Cons to speak of. It is a very fun place to work. Would recommend to anyone in human resources.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Have a great team effort and create a fun workplace, which you have already done.