Google

www.google.com
  www.google.com

Google Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.9

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 140 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 122 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 93 reviews)

More Highlights

Incompetent Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Good perks. There's a lot of smart people that work here. If you're a geek like me, then you've found your home.

Cons

Although promotions are said to be fair, it is all how you game the system and play the game. Don't expect to be put on amazing projects, those are for the super elite. There is a 3-4 year exit strategy here, and lately it seems its shortened to 1 to 2 years. New employees come in and realize this place isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

Just because someone is highly technical, doesn't mean they can make a good manager. Those managers are destined to fail.

Great place to work but it's hard to be noticed in such a huge pond of ridiculously smart people with too much free time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

The perks are great as you probably already know. Who can complain about free gourmet food and lots of freebies. But even over the last few years the company's growth has caused many of these once great perks to go downhill (but don't get me wrong the food is amazing). There are so many smart people at Google so if you want a place to learn and find out anything you've ever wanted to know, this is the place for you. People are typically very willing to give you a helping hand any time you have a question. Google also does wonders on your resume of course.

Cons

It's really hard to shine. As the company has grown at an amazing rate, you become a little guy amongst hundreds of strong performers. Even if you're doing well, there's probably somebody else putting in more than the extra effort. By this I mean, so many people work day and night and achieve great things, but for those who have other things going on in their lives it's just hard to compete and be noticed. It's hard to blame managers as they can't reward everybody but it's really hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance.

Don't try so hard to suck all the free time out of everyone's lives. While it's great that some employees love to contribute extra, it's unfair to punish those who just do a great job during the business day.

The hiring process is also horrible. It weeds out thousands of extremely qualified applicants as it focuses strongly on GPA over real industry experience. Often times the smartest and most applied people are the people who didn't do well in school. Many of the great innovators have not appeared to be the most 'book smart'.

Disneyland

Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Google is like Disneyland for geeks. It's an incredibly great place to work: the food, the people, the projects, the opportunities...

Cons

It's extremely disorganized. There's either not enough work or way too much. No feedback. No structure. It's not always clear how to contribute.

One word: divestiture. Google should spin out some of its projects to a separate company so they can be run more efficiently. Management is too decentralize.

Finance, Human Resources

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Google has a tremendous brand equity, incredibly brilliant colleagues, and it has a culture that truly fosters innovation. The work environment is generally fun and challenging environment.

Cons

The hours are very long and hard, and work/life balance still needs to be improved. Management says they are doing their best to make this better, though it has not improved.

Management needs to avoid changing things at the last minute for certain functional groups within the organization. Sometimes they make last minute changes to decisions, which causes a pain for the employees down the ladder.

Love the job, love the people, overall great opportunity to work for an 'it' company

Current Employee - Account Strategist
    Current Employee - Account Strategist

I have been working at Google

Pros

Great place to work, cutting edge industry, excellent online marketing training

Cons

Job growth could be limited as company gets older. Sometimes job growth gets a bit stale.

Keep paying attention to career development opportunities for Googlers

Googler

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Google

Pros

The perks at Google are really cool. The free food and Google wear are all good. But the recognition of working at a cool company is a reward itself too

Cons

It is a very disorganized environment. The company still feels chaotic and like a start up. Also, it seems the company takes advantage of people by lowering the salary.

I would advise the leadership to be more structured. Sometimes the environment is too loose and too casual. Perhaps this is to preserve the Google reputation of being a "cool" company to work for.

I can't imagine a better job

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Smart co-workers
    Great food
    Interesting, high-impact projects
    Many learning opportunities
    High pay
    Good benefits
    30 inch monitor
    Seemingly unlimited computing resources

Cons

A sense of entitlement from some employees
    With so many reports per manager, it is easy to get over looked if you don't speak up
    Group offices. Sometimes I really want a door and a quiet place to work

The management is doing great. The feeling of trust I get from management at Google helps me to feel committed to my work. Of course, mileage may vary depending on individual managers, but I've been very lucky here. And Eric is the best CEO I've encountered.

Great company

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in New York, NY

I have been working at Google

Pros

Smart people, interesting projects. I have never worked at a place where such open discussions are encouraged. Negative and positive feedback are equally welcomed.

Cons

I feel sorry for some of the people who start to work at Google right out of college or academia. They are in for a rude shock when they go to other companies.

Stay the course: don't let other people tell you what you are doing is wrong. It's a great company to work for and we have great products.

Great place to work... period.

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

I was amongst some of the most hard driven and motivated co-workers while at Google. I had very little to complain about, being surrounded by some of the brightest and most interesting people I have ever met. The team and the atmosphere made for a great work environment, the perks helped but it was more knowing you were all part of a team and accomplishing great things. Senior management wanted to help you and would give you the tools to succeed.

Cons

See review headline - "Great place to work... "

Senior management wanted to help you and would give you the tools to succeed. They will listen and make 1:1 a priority.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Overall good smart people working together in a very open atmosphere where information sharing is highly encouraged and easy to do. Very open communication from management compared to most companies. Best total compensation I've had at any company. Great fringe benefits like the free food, author talks, and political candidates dropping in.

Cons

If you like working in a very structured environment then you might not like it here.

Keep up the good work.