Google

www.google.com
Employer Engaged

Nothing is ever good enough

Former Employee - Technical Program Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Program Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Google

Pros

Lots and lots of money thrown around to bring in celebrities and authors to keep you interested; the space is very clean

Cons

You are encouraged to work against your "teammates" in your fight to the top and talk bad about them; Building a sense of community is discouraged

Stand behind your word: Don't be Evil. Lead by example. Evil is prevalent in the way you make us fight each other.

No focus or direction

Former Employee - Product Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Product Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Many Cafeterias to chose from

Cons

Management, co-workers, try to directly copy other products, location

Hired skilled managers before trying to build a team

Recruiting Process shockingly incompetent

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Amazing perks, benefits and pay
    Interesting work and smart colleagues (middle managers are the exception).
    Concern for change is there, empowerment to do so unfortunately isn't given to the recruiting team.

Cons

Shocked by the rather incompetent recruiting leadership on the sales team supporting at best a rather mediocre experience for hiring managers and candidates.

Rote, robot like recruiting process which is driven by levels and espouses "in the box" thinking.

Middle managers (Staffing Managers) are the epitomy of let's do things to please Larry vs. let's question and innovate.

Google Recruiting is like a big filter. Mediocre Staffing Managers that measure against silly metrics and measure the team on a curve they themselves could never meet.

Everyone is afraid to question the process or make changes. HR is a puppet at best with no strong recruiting leaders pushing innovation.

Bring in a consultant to revamp the entire recruiting philosophy, map the right team based on this revised strategy. Get rid of middle managers more concerned about their upward mobility vs. smarter ways to hire. No one has questioned the hiring process @ Google and yet that's exactly what needs to be done.

Interesting work but poorly managed

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in South Plainfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in South Plainfield, NJ

I worked at Google

Pros

There is a lot of interesting work and customers with challenging problems. The company is a large portfolio of hardware and software solutions to work with.

Cons

Poor communications between software development uniits were tolerated by management. Management never communicated its goals leaving engineering and consulting in the dark. Software quality was so poor that customers were dissatisfied and continuously threatening to halt the projects. Payment was withheld leading to more pressure to cut costs and diminished software quality. There was no QA on software prior to installation at the customer site. There were many problems with benefits administration caused by the third party firm hired to manage those items.

Learn how to communicate with your staff. Set some objectives. Take advice from people that understand software development processes. Try to get a grip on project management.

Thrilling and Satisfying

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

One of the best experiences in my life, nothing can or probably will come to these few years of my life at Google.

Cons

Lack of proper work life balance, deadlines! deadlines! deadlines! Conference calls can be weird times of the day, but overall satisfying.

Schedule conference call at more decent hours of the days
    Feedback could be better received
    Pay be made more competitive

Elitist, Arrogant Managers with low self-awareness

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Google

Pros

Great food, amenities and good compensation.
    Excellent location in Chelsea.

Cons

#1- Current Recruiting practice has some very strange practices and the rather junior, mediocre recruiting staff are afraid to challenge

#2-Inflexible recruiting practices that hire against a set of ideals vs business needs. At least 1,000 people a day are screened out due to ridiculous ideals that are never questioned

#3-Recruiting practices that do not improve without 18 layers of approvals and weak recruiting leadership.

#4-Strong recruiters leave. Mediocre recruiters stay so that they can provide more convolution to an already convoluted process.

Hire for the business, creativity and potential, not academic credentials or schools. Get rid of the current recruiting leadership.

taxing

Current Employee - Product Tmanager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Tmanager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google

Pros

stock is doing well so i am happy

Cons

unorganized no focus to individual efforts

get real - stop pursuing pipe dream projects

I hate myself

Former Employee - Software Engineering in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering in Seattle, WA

I worked at Google

Pros

Free Food, Easy work hours

Cons

Never get to see my product make it to launch

Please, please, please pay me 10% more...oh wait, you did

Poor ethics, cult-like atmosphere

Former Employee - Adwords Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Adwords Associate in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

great side benefits, free food, nice setting for a corporation. Some of the people were nice to work with, young atmosphere

Cons

all benefits at Google are provided so as to keep you at work as long as possible. Serious egotism is a problem.

Google leadership needs to remove themselves from their self created pedestal. The world would not end if Google suddenly no longer existed.

Google is NOT for NONE-Software Engineers

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

I think most ppl r proud of working for Google. I was too...at least for the beginning of two months. So, I don't need to repeat the good things about working for Google here. But, remember, all the good things are mostly posted by "software engineers". They are like king of the world in Google versus operation engineers (including me) are like slavers of the king.

Cons

Google, fortunately, is the worst company I have ever worked for. It attracts so many talent people to work for this company, but in fact, the only give software engineers the special treatment. I've seen so many great engineers in operation team were treated like nothing.

1. management sucks
    My manager is the root cause that every engineer suffers. He is the best politician I have ever seen in my life. Ever since he promoted to be a manager, he started to play all the dirty games among us.
    He spent $20 mil per year on some equipments which melt down network connectivity so many times every month. He claimed that the equipments would save Google for 10 millions per year, but in fact, we spent a lot more work hours on trying to solve the problems these junks caused. The main problem is, there is no test base for these junks. Aren't we supposed to test all the equipment before we implement or even purchase them? Not these junks... how does it happen? pick ur guess!
    How about we go the manger above him. Too bad.. the upper manager is his buddy. There is no complain or any bad thing would ever leak out through these 2 layers of managers. They cover everything up very well. In fact, one of the manager's jobs should ensure the fairness. Well... "fairness" is NEVER been seen at this team.

2. politics tricks
    My manager has this policy: all the engineers under level III can not talk to the engineers above level IV. Well.... before I join google, I thought anyone could talk directly to anyone, even to CEO. But my manager fired a person who asked questions to a level IV.
    His recently move was - promoted two of his favorites to be managers and directly reported to him. You know what it means? He just promoted himself since there are two managers reporting to him now. That was the exact trick his upper manager did a couple years ago. Now... there are 3 levels of management under one director. How does this director allow this happen?? well.. that's the politics. So, when the new engineer join the team, how many levels above him?? It's IMPOSSIBLE that you get promoted if there is one new layer added. Most likely, you got downgraded every year!!

3. STEALING/CHEATING
    I've never seen so many cheating cases ever since I graduated from college, but here, at Google. We have two level IV engineers responsible for designing networks with one stealing ideas/credits from the other one's work!! And this cheating is permitted by the upper manager!! How did it happen? well... the managers playing the games. The two (now three) levels managers ensures that none of outside team could work with the talent engineer alone. When they steals, those seniors all lined up and the upper manager would give pressure down to turn in the design and the credits. Whoever on the same side of this level IV engineer would suffer a hard time and have bad reviews from those managers. So, we watched the stealing and cheating happening every day but no one dare to say anything.

<to be continued>

I thought Google was not a place for the politician to play games with every day. When there were so many evil people running this company, how can it not to be evil?