Google Reviews

4.0

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights

Furthering my education

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Google

Pros

Career development, impact and range.

Cons

Compensation and lack of transparency at times.

Very stimulating environment and great job satisfaction

Former Employee - Designer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

You will have a chance to work with some of the smartest people in the industry

Cons

No real cons, but you have to be very good and productive to keep the job

Keep it up guys!

Everybody loves you

Former Employee - Visitor Greeter  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Visitor Greeter in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

everyone wants to join Google because it is a giant party. Free Food, onsite everything, free seminars, movies and lectures. But you have go to produce. They don't care if you party all week long but when the deadline arrives, you need to deliver.

Cons

Engineers rule at Google. Leadership and management are weak, as these geeky guys and gals are more comfortable talking to their keyboard then to subordinates. The lack of leadership is one of the great weaknesses for this organization.

Leadership matters. You can't just throw a bunch of engineers at a problem with little oversight, planning and motivation and hope to have a happy ending.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Google

Pros

great work lot of bucks

Cons

no issues at all whatsoever

great work

Requires dedication

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

It is an evenvironment in which everyone participates and contributes; unlike previous environments that have numerous employees that are just putting in time

Cons

Since the environment is one in which everyone must participate, it is difficult to pull back (e.g. girfriend breakup)

Overall, you are doing well and provide a good working environment

Good place to work, especially for new graduates.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Free food, good benefits, nice workplace....
    Many young people.

Cons

Not sure if it is in its peak. It will eventually going down, just like microsoft, cisco.....

Fun and prestigious

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

It's a great atmosphere in order to get a lot of interesting work done. Lots of good smart friends around you.

Cons

There most certainly is no more glitz and glitter and many feel that Google is turning into a hasbeen compared to the innovation of new startups

Good

Former Employee - Operation Specialist  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Operation Specialist in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

You had great perks you can not get with any other company. Your treated like a super star at work!

Cons

The company is extremely large, it is hard to get to know your co-workers.

Stimulating work environment but becoming more bureaucratic

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

- Exciting work
    - Can see impact of your work fairly quickly
    - Accomplished colleagues
    - Great brand recognition

Cons

- Increasing numbers of middle managers who add no value
    - Focus on "shiny" vs. substantive work - you're more rewarded for style than substance, splashy work gets praise

Don't hire middle managers who add no value. Unfortunately I see us hiring and rewarding people who spend more time on Powerpoint presentations than actually doing work. Growing pains of a large company or something we can avoid?

Great company... but not for life

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

- Average level of engineers is very high. Not everyone is a superstar, but there are practically no "dummies".
    - Lots of interesting technologies to learn. Many things have been almost a revelation for me.
    - Management is generally competent and caring, but see below.
    - High transparency, especially of technology - can easily find and look at any code. Projects are usually well documented, removing unnecessary obstacles for learning.
    - Free food, shuttle rides to work, pretty generous vacation time.

Cons

- Work may be stressful
    - Promotion opportunities may be limited
    - You may start to feel strange: highly-qualified, competent... and just one "number" among others
    - Cramped cubicles
    - Since about a year ago, switching groups became much more difficult.

I've been very happy at Google for the first 2-3 years (see "Pros"). The work could be demanding, but that was not bad, since demands were coming from other engineers eager to use my stuff and eager to report any problems, cooperate, etc.

However, gradually I started to feel as if the company hires the best and brightest only to put them under a nice, but hard-working manager, whose task is to keep them busy at all times no matter what. That's where most of my work stress eventually started to come from - though maybe it was just my personal "luck". I had a feeling that despite creating several successful projects, other achievements and expertise in several areas, I am not officially allowed any time to contemplate what to do next and what may be the best thing for me (and the company). Instead, I just have to generate code and other signs of activity every hour. That was exacerbated by the fact that since summer 2010 engineers lost their privilege to freely switch work groups. You could only go where the upper management thought there is opportunity for the company. Again, that felt like less respect to the very people who, being so bright, are supposed to also sniff where the next useful thing really is.

Eventually, I left for a job at a research lab. So far I am compensated less well overall, but I am much, much more happy (for now at least :-))

Respect engineers - you come from the same background! Give them, at least at certain level and above, more chance to decide themselves what to do (or not to do) and which group to work at. Also think how to improve promotion chances for those who work on less "sexy" or well-known projects.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!