Google Reviews

2,581 Reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page
1,407 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 127 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 249 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 114 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 85 reviews)

More Highlights

Corporation trying not to be corporate

I have been working at Google

Pros

Great place to work, good work-life balance

Cons

Can't bring my dog, traffic is bad

What a great place to work at

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have just finished my 6th month at Google and I loved every minute of it. If you are willing, there is always a great opportunity to grow and improve yourself. The campus is designed in a way to teach you something everywhere, even in the restroom...

Cons

Compensation is actually not competitive for Non-Eng positions which leads to a high turnover. Due to this there are plenty of "average quality" employees which was quite bit of a surprise to me.

Some Non-Eng positions are getting paid ridiculously low and I have seen many qualified employees leave just because of that by getting 50%+ more on top of what they were already making. They should realize that working for Google adds at least 30% to your market value and there will always be someone at the door waiting to attract these employees.

It's like grad school for people who get stuff done

I have been working at Google

Pros

The people are great (generally a mix of both very capable and ambitious). Senior management is accountable and very passionate.

The benefits are phenomenal. You generally have access to as many resources as you need... you just need the ideas and execution.

Cons

Sometimes there is too much complexity built up to do something simple. You can often fix that, but it may be hard to orchestrate work across geographies and teams since many people have loads of work.

Software engineering intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is wonderful: collaborative, open, experimental. The work-life balance is emphasized, and working over is recognized well. The work is interesting, my host was very patient, helpful, and made the internship very worth while. Plus the food and microkitchens are fantastic; great stocks.

Cons

I interned in the Boulder office, only about 350 large at the time. A distributed office does not have the same scale and opportunity for office culture, activities, people, etc. Returning, this is the only consideration I might have. The community is not as young as I expected; many employees lived the family life.

The office director finished an ironman, just though that was awesome.

Amazing intern experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Besides the delicious food, and awesome perks, one of the greatest part of interning at Google is that you really feel like you are a Googler. Google treats interns as full timers, both in terms of responsibilities and privileges. Interns can attend all company events and can become involved with nearly anything that a full time employee could.

Cons

I wouldn't say there are any real cons, although you will be expected to be able to balance your work with everything else. This can be tricky with all the intern events and things going on all the time.

sem account manager

I have been working at Google

Pros

benefits is really good and the employees are of high quality

Cons

not much growth space, no good career path

Innovative, fun work environment

Current Employee - Strategic Partner Development Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Strategic Partner Development Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Leading innovative work, which nobody else is doing. Opportunities for career growth, and tons of career development resources available. Great benefits in stock equity as well as free onsite perks.

Cons

High stress, fast-paced environment. Getting so big that it can feel very bureaucratic.

HRBPs should do a better job with keeping tabs on Product Leads (especially in Google[x]) and paying close attention to team morale and happiness.

Heart Throbing Experience so far

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mont Alto, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mont Alto, PA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really Smart People to work with

Cons

Many new things to learn

Good Management

Amazing company, HR/Recruiting org needs a lot of work

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter

I worked at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Google perks are ridiculous and well-documented. Benefits are amazing. Great learning environment. I worked as a recruiter for ~2 years at Google and learned way more about how to be a great recruiter than I did in the previous 6 years of my career, combined. Google, as a whole, genuinely cares about their employees.

Cons

Management doesn't seem to care about anything except making themselves look good to their superiors. They have their little clique of cronies that make decisions behind the scenes without any input from the worker bees. Few opportunities for career growth, unless you kiss the proverbial ring.

FTE compensation is mediocre and heavily stock-driven. If you stay for 5-10 years, you'd be set from accumulating Google stock...anything less than that and you are making below industry standard. Bonuses are laughable for high performers.

Smart so coworkers, great atmosphere

I have been working at Google

Pros

great benefits, you get to work with a lot of smart people which will increase your knowledge

Cons

which I can work remotely a few days out of the week. Too many projects at one time