Google Reviews

• intern
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

Good experience for an engineer

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As a software engineer in his early career years, Google was a good playground for learning many things. Google has the infrastructure and the people with expertise in virtually everything, and you can absorb a lot simply by using a lot of internal tools and practicing internal policies on code quality. Therefore having worked at Google is good both on paper and in practice.

Cons

At Google's scale, it is easy to be a cog in a very complicated machine that marches on. Personal growth is often a function of the team and management more than it should be. One may not necessarily find himself in the most ideal team in terms of skill fit and interest.

Advice to Management

Both pros and cons come from Google's success thus far and its scale. Not sure what one can do to amplify or mitigate them.

2. Google SDev Intern

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Google on the inside is pretty much exactly what it looks like from the outside, no surprises, fun internship, lots of opportunity to continue with them once your internship is up.

Cons

I enjoyed my summer there, although I would recommend if you have a choice work at one of the larger offices, I worked at a smaller office and didn't feel like I got the whole Google experience.

Advice to Management

As an intern I didn't really deal with management.

3. Very comfortable environment and smart people to work with.

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, great infrastructure, good pay, good hours, good benefits, really take care of their employees. I had a really good experience working there since my work was very prevalent and easy to show to people. Millions of users used my project so even as an intern I really felt as if I was making an impact.

Cons

Hard to grow to a higher position, everyone is extremely qualified

5. Best place to intern!

Current Intern - Engineering Practicum Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Current Intern - Engineering Practicum Intern in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Generous housing stipend. Salary is not super high but there are free food and free shuttle to make it up. Very supportive & friendly managers, host, mentors and co-workers. Lots of training classes for personal development. Lots of resources. Almost everything/everyone is accessible.

Cons

No personal rooms even for managers. Open workspace is quite distracting. The first few weeks are very intimidating and over-whelming.

Software Engineering Intern

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Food, buses, free bikes, internal tooling. The only good things about Google in my experience were the perks really.

Cons

Unfortunately, I was placed on a very boring internal project which I don't think should've been necessary in the first place. Since Google is such a truly massive company, there is a very real risk that you will spend all of your time and energy on what is essentially grunt-work to keep the massive ads machine rolling along.

7. Great people, work, and environment

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA

Pros

The company is extremely transparent internally, supports lifelong learning (if there is something you want to learn it is likely there is a class available on the topic), and you work with some of the smartest people around. The work environment is great, as is the food, fitness centers, and other added benefits.

Cons

If you end up on a project you aren't all that interested in or a team you don't quite mesh with, you may not enjoy your work as much as you could if you were placed on another team/project, though it seems fairly painless to switch teams if you aren't enjoying what you do anymore.

8. Learn, work and have fun

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Besides great work environment, learning opportunity is another great benefit for fresh graduates, including Google technologies, Google culture & values, and learning from other great people. Work-life balance is pretty good. People will not expect you to work late or during weekends, as people care about your work quality not your work time.

Cons

As a big company, Google also has to have many management process during code development, so sometimes your working pace will not be as fast as you expected.

9. good experience

Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

great people. they are nice.

Cons

the interview is a little long

Great work environment, incredibly smart co-workers, very collaborative.

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It's Google. But seriously, tons of cool stuff going on, and the ability to impact lives at scale. The work is challenging.

Cons

It's easy to get caught up in the multitude of emails, especially when working on teams that cross timezones. Work-life balance is something that you have to specifically think about.

11. Great company to work for, some flaws

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting problems to solve. Nice amenities and work environment.

Cons

Depending on the project you work on, your work, while challenging, can feel very meaningless in the grand scheme of things. The company is a bit scatter brained, which can lead to great things, but also neglected projects.

Showing 202 of 3,947 reviews