Google Reviews

169 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

As good as a large company gets

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Competent people. Enough resources to succeed. You have the chance to build products that millions of people will use, rather than worrying if you will be able to build something that anyone gets used. Management is generally in touch and cares--their opinions are sometimes wacky, but the fact that they know about every project and aren't being bamboozled by middle managers is a huge win as compared to most tech companies this size.

Cons

Politics have gotten worse. People have gotten more defensive in their decision making -- there's a disappointing lack of trust between employees that didn't exist in the past. We have hired too many people who are only interested in making themselves look good and have lost sight in what's best for the company as a whole, and management hasn't successfully recognized and fixed this in many cases.

Advice to Management

Lead by example in trying to keep politics out of the way.

As good as I thought it would be

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Good compensation, great benefits, great culture. Also, the fact that after working with Google, you can basically pick where you want to work next. Working on new and exciting projects (Android, etc.). Learning from the best is a great way to enhance your skills and develop professionally.

Cons

You gotta put a lot of work in, and working with so many talented people can be intimidating. Some of the people (especially people who were here before the IPO) can be a little full of themselves (but most people are pretty down-to-earth). Also, with so many people working there, sometimes it can be easy to feel a little powerless, and you might not have the same sense of personal accomplishment that you do with a smaller startup.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

3. There is such a thing as a free lunch after all.

Current Employee - Planning Scheduling in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Planning Scheduling in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Free breakfast, lunch and dinner. Google is not a conventional company, and we don’t intend to become one. True, we share attributes with the world’s most successful organizations – a focus on innovation and smart business practices comes to mind – but even as we continue to grow, we’re committed to retaining a small-company feel. At Google, we know that every employee has something important to say, and that every employee is integral to our success. We provide individually-tailored compensation packages that can be comprised of competitive salary, bonus, and equity components, along with the opportunity to earn further financial bonuses and rewards.

Cons

Google has offices around the globe, from Bangalore to Zurich, but regardless of where we are, we nurture an invigorating, positive environment by hiring talented, local people who share our commitment to creating search perfection and want to have a great time doing it. Googlers thrive in small, focused teams and high-energy environments, believe in the ability of technology to change the world, and are as passionate about their lives as they are about their work. Lend a helping hand. With millions of visitors every month, Google has become an essential part of everyday life - like a good friend - connecting people with the information they need to live great lives. Life is beautiful. Being a part of something that matters and working on products in which you can believe is remarkably fulfilling. Appreciation is the best motivation, so we’ve created a fun and inspiring workspace you’ll be glad to be a part of, including on-site doctor and dentist; massage and yoga; professional development opportunities; shoreline running trails; and plenty of snacks to get you through the day. Work and play are not mutually exclusive. It is possible to code and pass the puck at the same time

Advice to Management

* Know what interests you about Google and why you've applied. * Familiarize yourself with Google's products and services here (you may be asked both business related questions). Research our competitors. * If you are interviewing for a software engineering or technical role, be ready to answer high-level technical questions on data-structures and algorithms. We would like you to code up your answers on boards with our engineers. * Familiarize yourself with the job description you are interested in. * If you are interviewing for a software engineering role then you may first want to visit the website www.topcoder.com. Please launch the 'Arena' widget and go to the practice rooms where you can solve problems in the first and second division. * Ensure you can substantiate anything your CV says - for instance, if you list Java or Haskell as your key programming language, questions about this are fair game and may be asked of you.

Still a good company, but may not be the best anymore

Former Employee - Software Engineering in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Cutting-edge technology, famous brand, good food. The good weather here in mountain view, ca is also a good reason. If you are tired with the free food here, go get some decent dinners in the Castro street nearby. You can also learn a lot from tech talks, open days, the moma, and the code tree itself. Google's code base may not be the biggest, but its quality is the best in the world.

Cons

it is a good place for college graduates but may not be good for ambitious people. The decision to quit is difficult because of the perks, the good food, and the admires from people around you when they know you are a googler. But there is a reason for so many talent people to leave this company ...

Advice to Management

Fifty engineers under one manager? No doubt many googlers complaint not getting fair reviews.

6. come for the perks, stay for the challenge

Former Employee - Web Developer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

great perks.. the food at the cafeteria kept me up all night long the best and brightest engineers. Most people I am working with are very well-rounded, I feel I could learn a lot from most of them. I can contribute to products which are used by millions of people every day. I enjoy analyzing challenging problems and finding a cost effective solution. Flexible hours and relaxing working environments (including all the perks such as free meals.

Cons

When you start work there they really take the time to make sure that you're trained properly so that you don't feel like a fish out of water like at other companies. The free lunches, great 401k, etc, you get large bonuses that can make the difference in a long day

Advice to Management

stay active in the life of a project

Great place to start your career

Former Employee - Associate, Online Sales & Operations in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Associate, Online Sales & Operations in Mountain View, CA

Pros

It was a great place to be working for straight out of college. When you start work there they really take the time to make sure that you're trained properly so that you don't feel like a fish out of water like at other companies. Benefits can't be beat. Besides the free lunches, fantastic 401k, etc, you get large bonuses fairly often. Co-workers were intelligent and great to work with for the most part. I also had a great relationship with my manager and thought I was treated fairly, but it can vary widely at Google. All in all, there's few better places to start off for a young college grad.

Cons

As a non-engineer, your starting pay is pretty low. It's made up through bonuses and other compensation methods, but when I went to another company, it was harder to negotiate a higher pay due to my low base pay at Google. It's also starting to become a big company, so you have layers of middle management who are just a couple of years out of college and don't have the experience to manage people well. Most were great workers, but many don't understand that there's a large difference between doing your own work well and making sure that others do their work well through your guidance.

Advice to Management

Figure out constant new ways to empower employees to take risks.

8. Best company I've worked at that hasn't gone under.

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

The projects are interesting. There are interesting data sets to explore. There are cool tools to use, along with infrastructure for puttnig together new tools. The people are great--when you meet a "dud" at Google, it tends to stick in your memory since the duds are so rare. It's satisfying to work on a service that's helped so many people. The food is great; chefs are treated like rock stars and rightly so. The company has income; this is a pleasant change after working at other software development companies.

Cons

The bottom-up management style means that some good ideas with uncharismatic boosters get buried.

Advice to Management

Don't screw it up.

9. Google is still the best company to work for

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Mountain View, CA

Pros

1. Incredibly smart engineers. Most Googlers I am working with are very well-rounded, I feel I could learn a lot from most of them. 2. Big impact. I can contribute to products which are used by millions of people every day. 3. Deal with challenging problems. 4. Flexible hours and relaxing working environments (including all the perks such as free meal and message)

Cons

1. Not perfectly fair promotion process 2. Give too much opportunities to low performers (i.e. take too long time to eject low performers) 3. The company size is getting too big. 4. Salary is relatively low compared to other top software companies.

Advice to Management

1. Eject low performers. 2. Pay less attention to school ranking in the hiring process 3. Make promotion process fair.

10. stock options underwater

Current Employee - Program Manager in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Kirkland, WA

Pros

extraordinary co-employees, some of the most brilliant people on the planet. knowledge is enormous all around you. embraces a keep it simple philosophy in making products instead of a bloated overloaded features product.

Cons

no management, no growth, no understanding of what you're working on and how it fits into the big picture, working on minute feature areas, working on features that generate no revenue, having to play the political game to move up the ladder

Advice to Management

get back to the days of making a great product for users rather than doing what seems politically advantageous

Good place, could be better

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

It's a great place to work as a programmer. The tasks we work on are mostly interesting and challenging, and the breadth at which your work will be applied is nearly unparalleled, certainly in the online business. The people are fun and smart.

Cons

The people are very smart. If you're used to being a hot shot, you may not be any more. If you're looking for the startup atmosphere, well, don't, because it's gone. You will still have more autonomy than a lot of other companies, but you will not have complete control over the project you work on.

Advice to Management

Stop with the communism, please. Why is it that you always assume we can do things better than others. Outsource some of our benefits and return the savings to us in salaries.

RSS Feed </> Embed