Google

www.google.com
Employer Engaged

college hire software engineer

I have been working at Google full-time (less than a year)

Pros

very good experience with the hiring process

Cons

do not know enough to comment

Great for recent college grads AND industry professionals

Current Employee - Site Relaility Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Site Relaility Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The other employees are what make this company great. The hiring team has done a great job of building teams with diverse backgrounds (age, experience, etc.) and it makes collaboration fun.

Cons

Google is pretty big now. Sometimes it's hard to tell if any real impact is being made.

Talented peers. Management that cares.

I have been working at Google

Pros

Highly skilled coworkers in engineering.

Cons

Company has grown very big very fast.

The best place I've worked and also the most demanding.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

You can't find a more well-regarded company that actually deserves the hype it gets.

You'll work on cutting edge projects / solve important issues that impact your community and the world

You'll meet interesting people who are your colleagues, managers, and senior management.

You'll open the paper and see your company in the news almost every day, and read about projects you're working on, which is a cool thing

You'll see Larry and Sergey at TGIF and you'll admire how they lead the company. They are brilliant, goofy, low key but intense, and likeable.

There are 22 cafes (more or less), the food is excellent, and it's free.

Your pay will typically be competitive, though it needs to be tweaked up a bit since the economy has improved.

Google cares about how it treats its employees.

The campus is like an academic campus in many ways.

There are tons of activities on campus, like authors speaking about their books, films after work, and gyms where you can work out - but you'll need to make sure to carve out time to do these things.

You'll get plenty of external validation from people who suddenly think you're smart and rich because you work there, even if you're not rich and you're as smart when you didn't work at Google.

If and when you leave, you'll never regret having that company on your resume. It opens doors.

The company is flexible - if you're lucky, you won't have a micromanager boss and you can be somewhat flexible in how you work - but don't get me wrong - you'll work a LOT. But you don't have to do all of it chained to your desk.

Cons

I live in SF so the commute can take between 1.5 hours to 1.75 hours each way on the shuttle - sometimes 2 hours each way on a busy day or rainy day. That means being on the bus for 3-4 hours PER DAY. It's a wired bus though which means you can work on the way to Mountain View. But it can feel brutal.

Your first year or two are really important in terms of your career at Google and they affect how you're viewed, and your ability to be promoted. You should always ask to work on high profile projects. If you don't get them, don't expect to get high ratings or get promoted. Always volunteer for cross functional group work for maximum exposure, and then work hard at those things.

You'll likely work on something that no one will explain to you and it will take you at least a year to be comfortable doing what you're working on, even if you're super quick at learning. No one has time to train you or teach you what you're doing - which is kind of hard.

After two or three years, people you started out with at Google start to get promoted. If you're not one of them, you'll wonder why and how it happened, and that process is somewhat political and not always clear.

It's a big company now. And super political. So don't be naive. Expect some people to be catty, some people to be territorial, and be prepared to be mentally tough. Don't let people see your vulnerableness. It's a Darwinistic culture with a huge dose of 30-something idealism on top which can fool you into thinking that people are easygoing - they're not. They're driven. If you're not driven, you're not going to fit in.

When you start at Google, it seems like peer reviews are super important - they are, but they are the sprinkles on the fro yo. The important thing is that your direct manager knows your work, likes your work and likes you, and then you can get promoted. If your boss doesn't like you, all the positive peer reviews in the world won't help you. Make sure you know what your boss wants, and give it to them. You will have weekly one on ones, and make sure you are addressing your performance at each one, asking if they have questions, how you can improve, can you work on cross functional projects, etc.

It's really hard to find work life balance at Google. The workload is huge. I hardly have time to work out. The commute is brutal. My family sometimes needs more from me and I can't give it. I'm still trying to find the balance. I think I need more down time than most people so I have a hard time being structured every day to fit all the things I want into my day, so a lot of things slip, like working out.

Keep on NOT micromanaging - that is a huge benefit to Google. Most of us have a huge workload and we work in spikes and not chained to our desks, and we care deeply about producing, and we produce a lot. We can do that because you respect us enough to give us some freedom in how we do our jobs.

Lovely company

I have been working at Google

Pros

So many good things. It is such a fun and innovative environment to be in. Everyone is nice and teamwork is key. Free food occasionally too.

Cons

I am a newbie so I am not as experienced as a lot of the older employers so it is more of a personal thing that a company thing.

An incredible place to work

Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Year after year, Google is rated the best company to work for. Open culture, interesting people, passionate about making an impact on the world.

Cons

All the free food is tough to resist :) Google is a big company, so it can't move as fast as a startup.

Keep on doing what you're doing!

There's no perfect company, but Google comes close.

I have been working at Google

Pros

Work-life balance/flexibility, food and wellness, fitness options, my coworkers are awesome. Tuition reimbursement is also generous for professional development.

Cons

It can be difficult to make an impact in such a large company or organization.

The best company to work for by far. Excellent focus on employee welfare as well as end customer needs.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Google

Pros

Excellent benefits and perks.
    Extremely intelligent colleagues.
    Relaxed work environment.
    Great personal and career development opportunities.
    Extremely transparent and approachable management

Cons

Much more challenging to be the outperformer if everyone around you is just as smart and competent.
    Highly competitive environment at times.

Google Shopping Express

Former Employee - Store Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Google full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good for recent college graduates, training on Google campus is a fun experience, and they are very understanding and passionate people to work with.

Cons

Some of the delivery drivers are frustrating to work with, the in-store leads act way too entitled because they get to operate the courier phone and give orders.

Be more honest that there's no way to actually get an opportunity to work for Google or have many opportunities for promotion.

Summer internship at Google NYC

Former Employee - Summer Internship in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Summer Internship in New York, NY

I worked at Google

Pros

Relaxed working environment.
    Really smart people everywhere.
    Food is awesome.
    Pay is good as an intern.

Cons

Working space could be a little bigger.

none