Google Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.7

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights

Cushy dead end

Former Employee - Sales  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

- great benefits and 401K match
    - great food
    - half-naked cuties play beach volleyball on campus
    - really intelligent coworkers
    - fascinating industry and company profile

Cons

- managers detached, not aligned with team goals, focus on networking and their next job
    - chaotic, siloed organization, lots of inefficiency
    - sales organization is afterthought, mostly exists to patch up bad adwords user experience - so you're there to fix a problem nobody wants to admits exists. not a great career track!
    - i had two young MBAs as managers who both left me baffled as to what it is they did, or knew how to do. both were promoted! one sat me down in a 1:1 and told me to focus on my family and private life more, because caring too much about my job would only lead to problems because most of the issues in our department were not going to be fixed, and that's not really how you advance in your career anyway. it was good advice and all true, but it tells you something that this is what my soon-to-be-promoted boss told me.
    - lots of activity that has nothing to do with the company's products or business goals: events, parties, dance classes, on-campus organizations, etc. it's a lot like college that way. it's possible to spend A LOT of your time on tangential activities, keep getting good performance reviews (because the diversity festival or whatever is so great for google), and just hang out and make money and never impact the business. To me, this is really weird and not a plus, but a lot of people of course love it.
    - I left because basically I realized that if what I had achieved in the last year did not get me a promotion (major overhaul of one aspect of the business), nothing ever would. promotions aren't really about business impact at Google, they are about NOT having too much of an impact and rocking the boat. Having a dog helps a lot.

There's no reason to change anything as long as this much money is being made with the one revenue stream. I expect a big cleanup will take place one that's no longer the case.

Life is not as good as you thought, but it's challenging~

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

1. Work with all kinds of smartest people in the world.
    2. Good pay
    3. Never get bored.
    4. Free food~

Cons

1. Too many smart people.
    2. Report structure is too complicated.
    3. The cube set up looks weird, no privacy at all.

1. Treat your employee in a better way.
    2. More communication with the people working their ass off to help you making profit.

Good place if you want to "settle down"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

The culture - Google has an amazing culture and is a very engineering centric organization. They pretty much defined how the modern silicon valley company should look like and they still do it very well.
    The learning opportunities - It's possible to move easily between teams at Google and you can learn a lot of about a lot of things.
    The perks - Everyone's heard of the perks, and they are awesome. The food is great, the benefits are great, the salaries are competitive with bonuses and stock options.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to get recognition for a job well done.
    Can be a little hectic on some teams, while it can be painfully slow on others.
    Moving from one team to another hinges on getting well known, and in some instances promoted, yet the promotion process is quite difficult to make it work for you. You may try to get promoted one year and get refused by a committee when another one would have given you the promotion, because the members of that committee were more aware of what you did or who you are.

Senior management should try to do a better job at ensuring that everyone is not getting bored working on a trivial job. There are lots of people at Google who are overqualified for what they are doing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager II  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Program Manager II in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Google is a great place to work. Free meals, fun offsites, and hands off management.

Cons

The base salary is just okay, but annual bonuses make up for it if you're a solid employee (ie., meeting or exceeding expectations).

Try to limit and control middle management bloat.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer III  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Open, creative atmosphere.
    Smart people to work with.

Cons

Promotions hard to get, process a bit opaque.

Make promo process more transparent, easier.

Great Place to work, however limited growth

Current Employee - Google Online Sales Strategist  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Google Online Sales Strategist in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

- awesome benefits
    - great 401k match
    - By far some of the smartest people
    - Work on interesting issues and projects
    - Great environment

Cons

- You do work pretty hard.
    - Limited career growth opportunities. Only hire MBAs for manager positions.
    - Managers aren't than capable and don't understand the job.
    - Good to stay and learn for 4 years but you will need to leave in order to grow your career.

Don't require MBAs for managers. Our managers aren't great. There are also limited career growth opportunities (especially in OSO).

Smartest people I've worked with, fantastic benefits, but becoming more political

Current Employee - User Experience Researcher  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

- The smartest people I've ever worked with
    - Fantastic benefits and access to resources needed
    - Never stop learning from others
    - Open culture, people openly share knowledge, very few secrets relative to other companies

Cons

- Senior management in the weeds too much
    - Very silo'd roles, hard to break out of your career ladder vertical
    - Lack of career paths, and career advice
    - Becoming more political over time

- Focus on leading the company strategy and not on tactical UI and product decisions
    - Work hard on ensuring that politics is minimized as the company grows

Still a great place to work, despite the growth

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

You're working with top people in the world, the culture is very very relaxed, flex time, great benefits, free food.

Cons

The environment has changed since the early days. This may just be Operations jobs and does not necessarily apply to all Engineering though. Even still it's a great job.

More and more talented people are leaving for new startups or other areas of the company. I don't have a specific solution but the reason is that the place has become too bureaucratic and it is much more difficult to work on fun new projects in Operations.

Overall positive

Current Employee - Software Engineer III  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

- The environment is casual yet competitive.
    - You get an opportunity to work with smart people and work on great technology

Cons

The organization is flat. Which also means that there is little room to grow.
    Too much free food.. can't be good.

Keep up the good work. Work on creating opportunities for growth for employees. Improving recruitment process will be good too.

Fantastic opportunities, it's all up to you

Current Employee - Technical Solutions Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Solutions Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Plenty of self-directed time and energy.
    Great visibility into several core tech markets.
    World class computing infrastructure.

Cons

Chaotic, lots going on all the time.

Keep focused: actions speak louder than words.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!