Google Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. very good atmosphere.

I have been working at Google

Pros

benefits, atmosphere, decorum, all very strong at google.

Cons

advancement opportunities stop after middle management

Advice to Management

keep doing it and you will have happy employees

A stable and strong growth company

I have been working at Google

Pros

A great place to launch your career. Many talented people are still working at Google although there has been a constant exodus of top talent. A nice to place to network and learn.

Cons

The business model has matured so there might not be much fast growth ahead. It has become a mature company just like Ebay and Microsoft. But it is still very respectable company in internet industry. Limited room for career advancement. But it seems that those without much technical skills/degree usually get promoted quickly by just pushing engineers/analysts very hard. Those who do real work get stuck at the bottom of company structure.

Advice to Management

It might be useful to re-examine how promotion happens and to evaluate people by the actual work they have done instead of how many emails/meetings they created.

Fun and still as interesting as it sounds

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Google

Pros

Opportunity for big impact Fun people Can afford to do anything they decide to -- its not a startup experience

Cons

Large and growing size means your team and manager are your destiny more than Google overall Few opportunities to grow into leadership positions Some things take too long to get done now that there are so many people to consult before locking a decision

Advice to Management

Focus -- there are still too many projects, moving parts

5. factory worker

Former Employee - Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

free food, gym, perks. big name for recognition.

Cons

Company big on branding human resources w/ employees at the top of the hierarchy, and then contractors , and finally temp workers. Badges identify status with the company. Contractors and temps restricted to only work-site building/zone.

Advice to Management

value people because every contributes to the empire

6. Fantastic

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Google is a great place to work at. Good people, awesome pay and fun culture.

Cons

None that I can think of

7. good pay, great perks

I have been working at Google

Pros

Great perks and pay. You can be proud to tell your mom you work there. Work/Life balance is good. Employees are good people to know now and for the future. Work on great products that hundreds of millions or billions of people will use.

Cons

as much as it does not want to be one, it is a big company and too easy for people/projects to get lost in the mix. NY Office is big, but definitely suffers form not being in Mountain View.

Recruiting at Google is an experience you must not miss

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

The teamwork is wonderful and supportive, though competitive as all get out. Recruiting for the best of the best is an interesting and vital experience at Google. The ATS is wonderful, compared to others out there. The culture is vital, dynamic and engaging.

Cons

The up and down sides are there is a lot of change. Google does not get stale, that is for sure. But the processes change a lot which makes it a little less sticky than it "should" be, IMHO. There is a lot of social competitiveness that is very intense, but that does drive excellence, even if you do feel like your job could end any minute.

Advice to Management

I think the leaders need to lead more and accept the performers that are not excellent but highly functional. That way you can keep people for the long haul.

9. Great place to start your career

Former Employee - Business Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Business Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Amazing benefits, amazing people that make you grow, and amazing work. You really feel like what you're doing has an impact on the world.

Cons

It's easy to become a "number" at Google if you don't put yourself out there. You have to be assertive and willing to throw out new ideas. That said, depending on your job role, often that can be harder than it seems.

Advice to Management

I really loved my experience with management. Great mentorship experience and I received a lot of specific feedback about my work and progress.

10. Awesome

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Great food, great people. The people are smart and sharp and it was a joy to work with them everyday

Cons

The firm is big, almost too big. it no longer maintains its entreprenurial feel. But they make a good effort

Advice to Management

These are top notch people> they are smart and always willing to help. There is not problem approaching them with questions

One of the best places to work as an engineer, period.

I have been working at Google

Pros

A value placed upon moving fast and breaking things. A true meritocracy culture. As egalitarian a workforce as I have ever seen. Probably the best engineering team on the planet. Incredible benefits and pay.

Cons

A few things have slowed down a bit due to growth. A bit more siloed than it used to be. Of all places, the highest praise I can give is that I find very very little to complain about.

Showing 98 of 3,732 reviews