Google

2,799 Reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page
1,548 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 140 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 122 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 93 reviews)

More Highlights

Short but sweet

I worked at Google full-time

Pros

Solid benefits and very smart people with amazing location and campus

Cons

Red tap and bureaucracy with management in marketing

Great company, but not a lot hope for temp to full-time employee conversion

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It's the best place I've worked. Absolutely no doubt about that. High pay as a temp software engineer. Awesome software development tools. Fewer difficult prima donnas than you might expect for such an elite company. In fact my department had none.

Cons

I got hired as a temp with the understanding if all goes well would convert me. However, as many others have mentioned, it's quite the uphill challenge. I don't think it's because of my performance as they seem to like my contributions. It's almost as though because you are a temp, you are automatically branded as not as worthy as a FTE's. Having said that, I know one person who got converted, but he went through the same onerous interview process which he spent an entire 6 months preparing for, and had to join a completely different team.

Don't join as a TVC thinking you'll have a better shot at getting in the door. It's actually the opposite. But if try anyways, do it with low expectations of any conversion. Temps are limited to 1 year max and then have to leave the company for 3 months before you can temp again. Note: some software engineers come in as a vendor and don't have the 1 yr restriction.

As a TVC, you'll find roughly half the internal web pages are blocked since you are not a FTE, even ones you need to do your job, making it a frustrating experience to get things done. I often had bug coworkers to have them look something up for me, or just deal without the information I was seeking. Even the internal job postings are blocked.

TVC=temp/vendor/contractor FTE=full time employee

Please give more respect to TVC's. I'm not asking to be treated the same or have equal access, but if someone is performing well, give them a better shot at FTE. After all, you have already spent a lot of money up front bringing a TVC up to speed.

Still good company to work, but gets too big to operate, perk cut every year.

I have been working at Google

Pros

Good perks
    ok salary
    lots of smart people

Cons

Less compensation every year.
    Hired too rapid

Contractors have minimal access to corporate knowledge base.

Former Employee - Technical Writer III in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer III in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Google

Pros

Fabulous talent with honest deliverable within the team.
    Dynamic environment with dynamic tools.
    On site exercise, on site weekly TED style presentations.
    Astonishing and amazing food.
    Green energy.

Cons

Some slow-to-respond, out-of-date information to leverage politics between team leads.
    Contractors have minimal access to corporate knowledge base.

Management cannot prevent people who want to keep their jobs from "protecting" their role with minimalist info. One or two star performers in a sea of mediocrity seems to be on par, even in government.

Can be a great place, but not for everyone

I worked at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

+ Probably the best benefits in the industry
    + Trying to solve tough problems in many different areas.

Cons

+ Can sometimes seem like there are too many smart/driven people trying to each make their individual mark, such that collaborative efforts suffer
    + The culture seems to be based on the bet that if you bring a bunch of smart people together, something great will happen. Rely much less on strong top and middle management that drives things in an organized way with a coherent vision.
    + There are many unsuccessful efforts in the company that are rarely talked about. And many cool things are talked about and pre-announced way before they are ready or even before it becomes clear how likely they are to actually happen.

What worked for you as a young company won't necessarily work as you get bigger and more mature. Having much stronger management and internal direction doesn't mean being less creative. Don't assume that putting a bunch of smart people together will automatically lead to greatness.

Team-dependant

I worked at Google

Pros

Great perks, smart people constantly around, building the future, PTO is generous

Cons

if you get stuck on a horrible team, your product can just get dumped in the trash after years of hard-working (seen it in person to some PMs)

Management is doing fine.

Mixed feelings

Current Employee - Massage Therapist in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Massage Therapist in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great perks, food, shuttle, gym, bikes
    I was a massage therapist so met a lot of great people as my clients.
    Everything was set up to give a good session

Cons

As a contractor nobody cares about your opinions or input to improve service and you are reminded of it constantly.
    Very poor communication with managment, especially by the end of your contract. Nobody gives you info about if you get hired or not, even once the process start its a crime to ask any questions. Very disappointing and inconsiderate interaction with google recruiter and no feedback or answer to questions from managment. They use you all year as a contractor and then garbage. Pretty sad to finish like that

Try to put yourself instead of the contractor and at least answer the questions you're asked without making us feel like we're commuting a crime. Isn't google all about communication.

eh

I worked at Google

Pros

cool culture, everyone is young.

Cons

none really, some condescending people.

Excellent demanding and rewarding. Multiple assignments at once

Former Employee - Market Research in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Market Research in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced entrepreneurial difficult to pin mgmt down for feedback. Quick timeframe for promotion. Employees enjoy socializing with each other. GREAT benefits and flexible hours

Cons

Lack of mgmt focus...too many things at once. Mgmt frequently changes direction based on analytics ignoring qualitative feedback. Average good not great performing employees are ignored for the most part

Get more engaged with employees

It's what you make of it

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Working with smart, effective people: The average intelligence level here is considerably higher than anyplace else I've worked, and the people tend to be very diligent. When I need assistance from another engineer or another team, I typically get quick and effective help. Office politics exist, but compared to anywhere else I've worked they're not a problem.

- Compensation / perks: I'm very satisfied with my compensation. The assorted perks are pretty valuable as well -- the food and fitness facilities are my favorites.

- Work/life balance: From reading other reviews here it seems that experiences in this area vary. But mine have been excellent. I rarely work over 40 hours a week, and when I do it's because I personally feel engaged by what I'm working on, never because of pressure from my manager or team lead. I almost never check work emails during evenings or weekends, and when I come in to the office in the morning I don't find that they've been emailing me during that period. I actually have gotten gentle pushback from my team lead when I asked if he could log in from home later in the evening to review/approve a change I wanted to submit.

Cons

- Impostor syndrome: The flip side of working with so many smart and effective people is that it can be difficult to recognize your own value; if you're used to being the smartest guy in the room and suddenly you're surrounded by people who are at or above your ability, that can be a bit of a blow to the ego. I eventually worked through this, but it took the better part of a year.

- Slow ramp-up: One of the drivers of impostor syndrome for me was that it took me a lot longer to find my footing and get effective here than at other jobs. Some of that is on me for not asking more questions, but I think more proactive support from leadership might have helped. The environment at Google is very unique and there's a lot to learn before an engineer can get things done.

- Living in a bubble: The perks and so on make life at Google very comfortable. I can imagine that leaving that bubble will get difficult.