Google Reviews

4.0

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the best places to work as an engineer, period.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

A value placed upon moving fast and breaking things. A true meritocracy culture. As egalitarian a workforce as I have ever seen. Probably the best engineering team on the planet. Incredible benefits and pay.

Cons

A few things have slowed down a bit due to growth. A bit more siloed than it used to be. Of all places, the highest praise I can give is that I find very very little to complain about.

Nice perks, it's better if you can get in at a high level

I worked at Google

Pros

Really great people-- smart and interesting. Good cadence of people wanting to do new things. It's a huge company with lots of global offices so there are opportunities to do international assignments which is really amazing.

Cons

Getting political, and there is a big difference between old timers and new comers, right out of college and MBAs. They recruit for AdWords right out of college and the pay is ok-- but I think they largely get incredibly talented at a low "price" just b/c it's Google. If you don't have an advanced degree, you're told you can move around (and you can, title and job wise) but it's going to be lateral moves for the most part. Moving up seems virtually impossible these days.

Transparency is something the company is proud of. It's pretty good here but at the same time, there are tons of instances of favoritism. For example, a lot of people in the AdWords department managed people they were previously friends with. It made a lot of promotion decisions seem less-than-objective. I would have upper management really consider how middle managers are selected and how they do their jobs b/c there are some really crummy middle managers who make life for their teams pretty rotten.

Great place to start your career

Former Employee - Business Intern  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Business Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Amazing benefits, amazing people that make you grow, and amazing work. You really feel like what you're doing has an impact on the world.

Cons

It's easy to become a "number" at Google if you don't put yourself out there. You have to be assertive and willing to throw out new ideas. That said, depending on your job role, often that can be harder than it seems.

I really loved my experience with management. Great mentorship experience and I received a lot of specific feedback about my work and progress.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome

I worked at Google

Pros

Great food, great people. The people are smart and sharp and it was a joy to work with them everyday

Cons

The firm is big, almost too big. it no longer maintains its entreprenurial feel. But they make a good effort

These are top notch people> they are smart and always willing to help. There is not problem approaching them with questions

Fast paced.

I worked at Google

Pros

Always on the leading edge of technology. High pressure workplace but high rewards. Access to all technologies. No limit on hardware.

Cons

Not best place to work when balancing home/work/religion. Extreme pressure to complete tasks on-time. Little time to exercise as work consumes all your time.

To stay in the forefront in search and other web technologies Google must continue to push employees. Employees know what they are getting into when they are hired.

Excellent

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Freedom of what to work on;
    Lots of areas;
    Engineers are highly respected;
    Knowledge are shared across company;
    Great infrastructure to minimize work burden;

Cons

Weak management;
    Sometimes directions are kind of random;

awsome

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

innovation, creativity, the chance to do anything with the 20 percent time. The chance to work on innovative products along side with some extremely smart people.

Cons

It too big. Not like the days of the .com. Their options are worthless. Managers want to protect their butts. benefits suck

be flexible like the .com days, don't be too greed, let employees have a difference, let there be true innovation, I want to party

Outstanding

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Great people to work for

Cons

Hard to get big picture

Can do better

Excellent, but Stressful.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Google

Pros

Great infrastructure, great technology, great food (bad for keeping fit though).

Cons

Slow process from idea to launch, too many hoops to run through.
    Infrastructure not easily transferable outside of Google.

More efficient ways to go from ideas to launch.

Good company, glad to have worked there

I worked at Google

Pros

Brilliant coworkers.
    Culture promotes continuous learning. There's a famous author, artist or industry leader giving a talk or performance at the company every week.
    Amazing perks. 50% match in 401k.

Cons

Inexperienced middle managers who are where they are because they were strong individual contributors, and not necessarily strong people managers.
    Becoming more and more political.
    Lack of autonomy in your job. Decisions, even the most inconsequential, seem to be made by a few people in each department.
    Few career advancement opportunities.
    No work/life balance.

Empower your employees and managers to make more decisions on their own. Allow for more risk taking and autonomy.
    Hire, promote and value leaders who excel at developing and managing people. Make managing employees a full time job, not something to be done only during review time. Managers who remain hands on end up competing with their own direct reports.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!