Google

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

48 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Intern

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Google as an intern for less than a year

ProsAwesome workplace and brightest minds in the industry.

ConsLong work hours and complex projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Not what you expect

Tech Lead (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Google full-time for less than a year

ProsEveryone knows the perks.
Lots of technical folks everywhere you turn.

ConsThere is very little emphasis on customers.
the majority of folks who work here are motivated by two things: better resume, and tech stuff that one ups other techies.

As a rather high ranking techie from half way across the world, these folks are not at all what I expected in terms of caliber.
Communication, people management, keeping a cool head, these things are not common here, and if you have them, they are not appreciated here.

This place is a mecca for folks that can't relate to others very well, but are very technically savvy.

Before you come here there are a few things you need to know:
1) most folks come here because they want to be happy
2) aside from the common knowledge that if you are presently at (be careful of used to work at) Google then you are technically smarter than others
3) Once you leave Google, people will think it was because you couldn't cut it, not because you were amazing. the only way to go is to either A) start your own company (not very common as there is not a focus on customers) B) get poached (very common), but after you have been poached everyone will still think you couldn't cut it at the big Goog.
4) most folks are happy because of 3 things:
 A) finding a mate (not very likely at Goog, unless you are hetero female, then game on, except most females here intimidate the guys... lol)
 B) making money (yep, you can do that here as well, ironically they don't pay that well for the area: IE you can 3x that in IT Finance or startups, or 2X in places like netflix; not to promote netflix, but they are very interesting if you are heavily motivated by the mulah)
 C) making a difference in the world (not super common here)

I know a lot of people who are only happy when talking to other people about their career because they work at Goog, but have pretty much put their life on hold, and their happiness on hold to be here.

Honestly, only work here if you live here.
Do not travel to work at Google.
It doesn't work out, and everyone ends up leaving to find a mate, more money,
Do not move away from family to be here.

Basically work here if you have no other options.
If your people skills or business skills are to weak to affect folks, and you are OK not finding anyone special for a few years, and you are OK with really long hours, work here.
It is hella good bragging rights to most folks, but once you get high enough in the tech world, it can be a negative.

Actually I should share this as well.
the best people at google get poached (startups, other tech companies, etc...)
the worst get canned
all the people who can fake it stay
the people that stay hire other people just like them
There are a sea of shitty people growing at Google, beware them, and if one of them is your manager, transfer or leave ASAP, lest you find out the #1 factor of job unhappiness. =)

All in all, if you live in the area, and are just starting your career, please dont let this scare you.
This is a great place if you are local, young (22-28), and not interested in finding a mate.

GL out there!

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are not valuable because they know x amount in technology, people are valuable because they believe what you believe.

You are riding out the success of your earlier achievements, and that startup down the street is going to eat your business soon, it is certainly eating your best people.

Golden handcuffs

Relationship Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Google full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat perks, coworkers, flexibility & pretty solid compensation (not the highest but the other bene's make up for it)

ConsPromotions in the Ad Ops team were hard to come by. Incredibly competitive, had to outshine your neighbor and be your own PR person. Lots of BS and busy work. No sense of contributing anything valuable to your team. Micromanagement and ever stringent review process - bar is always being raised.

Good personnel management, good environment, great perks, limited ability to have an impact on the company.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Google full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork on interesting and challenging technical problems.
Flexible hours and generous ability to take time off and work from home.
Food is good, perks are generous, office environment is pleasant, co-workers are smart.

ConsCan be difficult to switch projects.
Some of the work can be boring. Engineering-wise, it's hard to experiment publicly -- too many eyes watching, too much need to scale.
Can be hard to get good performance feedback until it's too late.

Intern (2012 and 2013)

SWE Intern (Former Employee)
San Bruno, CA

I worked at Google as an intern for less than a year

ProsSmart people. The food is great. You get to work on projects of immense scale. The pay is great. There is a lot of glamour that comes with the job. People are impressed when they hear that you work for Google.

ConsGoogle is in a state of denial regarding its bureaucracy. It is a huge company and it should accept that fact to fix inefficiencies. A couple of VPs are obviously more interested in politics than in the greater good. The playful, smart company with "don't be evil" as a motto is a vision that has cleary disappeared. Google is no different than any other big company and they are starting to realize it.

Google Summer of Code Intern

Google Summer of Code Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Google as an intern for less than a year

ProsGoogle is a fantastic place to work

ConsThere are no cons, all you have is loads of advantages

Like nothing else and a lot of opportunities to grow

Software Engineer II (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Google full-time for more than a year

Pros- You work with amazing people
- You learn thousands of things in a very reduced amount of time
- Everything is there to make you feel good about your work

Cons- Being clever sometimes slow you down
- Priorities between teams are not always on the same page

Couldn't ask for a better job out of college...

Product Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Google full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-great perks (delicious (and healthy) food, nap room, happy hours, latest and greatest devices...)
-passionate and talented people
-open channels of feedback
-companywide transparency into many projects

Cons-certain roles can be monotonous
-company is huge so naturally there is some red tape (they are very cognizant of this and always trying to improve)

Advice to Senior Management-keep going for those moonshots. you guys are so respected

great perks, good people, ok job

Senior Strategist (Former Employee)

I worked at Google full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- they treat their people really well

Cons- the work is not always stimulating or consequential

Amazing colleagues and the company makes it very comfortable to work there.

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Google full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBest in class colleagues, big/interesting problems to solve, great perks, competitive salaries, easy to transfer between roles internally.

ConsI worked at Google for over 6 years and saw a lot of growth during this period. The resulting bureaucracy could be frustrating and certain decisions were nearly impossible to reverse; I often heard statements to the effect of "we analyzed this a few years ago and our decision was X, so we're not going to revisit it now."

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you reward people for being team players and not just those who toot their own horns the loudest. I saw a number of promotions (in Sales) go to people who had made the best slides that summarized their achievements versus those who flew under the radar but were actually more critical to the success of their respective teams.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Google CEO Larry Page . All 48 reviews posted anonymously by Google employees.