Google

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

771 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

An Amazing Company to Work For.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsThere are endless projects to choose from. If you do not feel challenged enough, there is no one stopping you from trying to find another project. The amenities are great. The food is fantastic. There is something different every day of the week. It is obvious that Google loves its employees. The culture is amazing too. Each employee does not mind helping the other out if they are stuck. I feel it is encouraged to reach out to others.

ConsThere is nothing wrong putting in more than 100%, but I feel sometimes no one has a life other than working. I do not blame the company for this because they actually encourage outside activities. But you still see it sometimes. The projects are just too awesome.

Account Manager

SMB Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsAmazing people, amazing benefits. The company spoils you for sure. I worked on the SMB Team and did connect well with many clients to help them understand the value of AdWords and get as much out of the product as they could.

ConsThose coming straight out of college, note that having Google on your resume is fantastic, but this role may not be ideal for you if you're not interested in Sales. It requires a lot of cold-calling and internal movement may be harder than you expect.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe straightforward with account managers. It's understood that all aspects of one's job are not necessarily glamorous, but candy-coating things only tends to make things worse.

Perfect experience

Quantitative Analyst Intern (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

Pros1. There are rich resources for internal training.
    2. Flexible time and nice work/life balance.
    3. Generous payment and relocation stipend.
    4. Gorgeous people to work and interact at work.
    5. Google holds internal weekly meetings to share the most recent progress in various teams.

ConsAs the company is too big, it takes more time to learn about the different opportunities on a higher level. Typical projects have narrow focuses and it is hard to learn what everybody else is doing in the team.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood culture. Wacky HQ. Good Perks

ConsBad management, some leaders take things not so seriously

Advice to Senior ManagementUse your theoretical skills as they are your tools of your trade

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

Pros- Definitely Google provides the best perks...food, events, gym, lots of learning opportunities and cultural activities. It's like a living in a grown up college campus.
    - Great people to work with. Most of my teammates were emotionally balanced, pleasant, intelligent and fun.

Cons- As my department grew they started having too many middle management (several 'directors' in one team? really?) and it was not really clear why they're here.
    - Too many re-orgs just for re-orgs sake, or just to create some work for those managers. One team I worked with were bounced back and forth between 3 different departments within 2 years because of this.

Most innovative company of our generation

Director (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsAmbitious with global scale and resources

ConsSpeed of execution results in acceptance of short attention spans

Great place to work, but has lost that fast-moving feeling

Compensation Analyst (Former Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsThis is the stuff everyone always hears about -- amazing benefits, top pay, free everything all the time in the office, etc. Plus the people are immensely talented and driven. Also, as much flak as the "don't be evil" mantra gets outside of Google, I tend to believe that the company is still largely operated in that way.

ConsWork-life balance can be tough, specifically in some of the central functions (my experience). I believe a lot of that issue stems from Google being able to attract the absolute best talent in the world who are expecting a fast "startup-like" career trajectory. That's simply not possible anymore given the size of the company, so political maneuvering and passive-aggressive face-time cultures have begun to emerge on some teams. A corollary to that is the feeling that change within Google often happens only for the sake of change (or because someone needs a platform to show "impact" and get promoted), not necessarily because it's needed. The company has the luxury of not really having to prioritize, so this type of thing isn't implicitly discouraged, but imagine what else Google could do if it did prioritize a bit more!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep shooting for the moon!

good environment

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

Prosthe work isn't very tough and depend on your department. Be ready for business trip. Prepare your resume well.

ConsBe careful being laid off by some reasons you don't know.

Advice to Senior Managementwell managed.

Fantastic company

Map Designer (Former Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsThe rumors about the glamorous work environment at Google are true. You're in a comfortable workplace surrounded by the best people and practically smothered with perks.

ConsThe fabulous perks are there to keep the highly skilled employees complacent while they perform the menial, repetitive, labor that is required to keep the machine running. On any given eventing, many a Googler can be heard lamenting his/her under-stimulating project at any given Palo Alto watering hole.

Good company to work for

Software QA Engineer (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

Prossmart people, great environment, good chance to advance

Conspeople think they are better than others. Hard to get things done

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google reviews and ratings in San Jose, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Google CEO Larry Page . All 771 reviews posted anonymously by Google employees.