Google

Google Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development(in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro(in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging(in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape(in 71 reviews)

782 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great employer, smart people, with some shortcoming of being a big company

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsCan't beat Google's culture and perks.
    Caring and smart people everywhere.
    Some work is challenging (depends on your role).

ConsCompany is getting big, and not everyone is moving as fast as we were before.
    There are clearly hierarchy, and most of time it doesn't equate bureaucracy but sometimes it does .

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nimble and move faster.

Nice company bad culture

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsIntelligent people, fantastic management, incredible foresight.

ConsPeople are human, they are not technology slaves.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more structure going.

Great company, awesome co workers, but getting really really big.

Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsVery smart management in almost every department with clear, ambitious vision. Most people at the company are self starters and have a desire to improve whether its making the products, workplace services, or even things like food and transportation for employees.

ConsCompany is getting huge, hard to navigate organization. I still believe its one of the best run large companies but at some point an organization will just get too large and loses the agility and speed that it had before.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An Amazing Company to Work For.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThere are endless projects to choose from. If you do not feel challenged enough, there is no one stopping you from trying to find another project. The amenities are great. The food is fantastic. There is something different every day of the week. It is obvious that Google loves its employees. The culture is amazing too. Each employee does not mind helping the other out if they are stuck. I feel it is encouraged to reach out to others.

ConsThere is nothing wrong putting in more than 100%, but I feel sometimes no one has a life other than working. I do not blame the company for this because they actually encourage outside activities. But you still see it sometimes. The projects are just too awesome.

Perfect experience

Quantitative Analyst Intern (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros1. There are rich resources for internal training.
    2. Flexible time and nice work/life balance.
    3. Generous payment and relocation stipend.
    4. Gorgeous people to work and interact at work.
    5. Google holds internal weekly meetings to share the most recent progress in various teams.

ConsAs the company is too big, it takes more time to learn about the different opportunities on a higher level. Typical projects have narrow focuses and it is hard to learn what everybody else is doing in the team.

Great

ProsGood culture. Wacky HQ. Good Perks

ConsBad management, some leaders take things not so seriously

Advice to Senior ManagementUse your theoretical skills as they are your tools of your trade

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros- Definitely Google provides the best perks...food, events, gym, lots of learning opportunities and cultural activities. It's like a living in a grown up college campus.
    - Great people to work with. Most of my teammates were emotionally balanced, pleasant, intelligent and fun.

Cons- As my department grew they started having too many middle management (several 'directors' in one team? really?) and it was not really clear why they're here.
    - Too many re-orgs just for re-orgs sake, or just to create some work for those managers. One team I worked with were bounced back and forth between 3 different departments within 2 years because of this.

Most innovative company of our generation

Director (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsAmbitious with global scale and resources

ConsSpeed of execution results in acceptance of short attention spans

Great place to work, but has lost that fast-moving feeling

Compensation Analyst (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThis is the stuff everyone always hears about -- amazing benefits, top pay, free everything all the time in the office, etc. Plus the people are immensely talented and driven. Also, as much flak as the "don't be evil" mantra gets outside of Google, I tend to believe that the company is still largely operated in that way.

ConsWork-life balance can be tough, specifically in some of the central functions (my experience). I believe a lot of that issue stems from Google being able to attract the absolute best talent in the world who are expecting a fast "startup-like" career trajectory. That's simply not possible anymore given the size of the company, so political maneuvering and passive-aggressive face-time cultures have begun to emerge on some teams. A corollary to that is the feeling that change within Google often happens only for the sake of change (or because someone needs a platform to show "impact" and get promoted), not necessarily because it's needed. The company has the luxury of not really having to prioritize, so this type of thing isn't implicitly discouraged, but imagine what else Google could do if it did prioritize a bit more!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep shooting for the moon!

Nice to work with

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood work culture, Best package and chance to work on latest technology

ConsNo as such, Very good organisation

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!