Google Reviews

Reset
4.4
Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page

Pros
  • Work life balance can be what you want it to be on most teams (in 140 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is extremely hard (in 122 reviews)

• Big company so it takes time to know who's doing what (in 93 reviews)

1,154 Employee Reviews

The best place I've worked and also the most demanding.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

You can't find a more well-regarded company that actually deserves the hype it gets. You'll work on cutting edge projects / solve important issues that impact your community and the world You'll meet interesting people who are your colleagues, managers, and senior management. You'll open the paper and see your company in the news almost every day, and read about projects you're working on, which is a cool thing You'll see Larry and Sergey at TGIF and you'll admire how they lead the company. They are brilliant, goofy, low key but intense, and likeable. There are 22 cafes (more or less), the food is excellent, and it's free. Your pay will typically be competitive, though it needs to be tweaked up a bit since the economy has improved. Google cares about how it treats its employees. The campus is like an academic campus in many ways. There are tons of activities on campus, like authors speaking about their books, films after work, and gyms where you can work out - but you'll need to make sure to carve out time to do these things. You'll get plenty of external validation from people who suddenly think you're smart and rich because you work there, even if you're not rich and you're as smart when you didn't work at Google. If and when you leave, you'll never regret having that company on your resume. It opens doors. The company is flexible - if you're lucky, you won't have a micromanager boss and you can be somewhat flexible in how you work - but don't get me wrong - you'll work a LOT. But you don't have to do all of it chained to your desk.

Cons

I live in SF so the commute can take between 1.5 hours to 1.75 hours each way on the shuttle - sometimes 2 hours each way on a busy day or rainy day. That means being on the bus for 3-4 hours PER DAY. It's a wired bus though which means you can work on the way to Mountain View. But it can feel brutal. Your first year or two are really important in terms of your career at Google and they affect how you're viewed, and your ability to be promoted. You should always ask to work on high profile projects. If you don't get them, don't expect to get high ratings or get promoted. Always volunteer for cross functional group work for maximum exposure, and then work hard at those things. You'll likely work on something that no one will explain to you and it will take you at least a year to be comfortable doing what you're working on, even if you're super quick at learning. No one has time to train you or teach you what you're doing - which is kind of hard. After two or three years, people you started out with at Google start to get promoted. If you're not one of them, you'll wonder why and how it happened, and that process is somewhat political and not always clear. It's a big company now. And super political. So don't be naive. Expect some people to be catty, some people to be territorial, and be prepared to be mentally tough. Don't let people see your vulnerableness. It's a Darwinistic culture with a huge dose of 30-something idealism on top which can fool you into thinking that people are easygoing - they're not. They're driven. If you're not driven, you're not going to fit in. When you start at Google, it seems like peer reviews are super important - they are, but they are the sprinkles on the fro yo. The important thing is that your direct manager knows your work, likes your work and likes you, and then you can get promoted. If your boss doesn't like you, all the positive peer reviews in the world won't help you. Make sure you know what your boss wants, and give it to them. You will have weekly one on ones, and make sure you are addressing your performance at each one, asking if they have questions, how you can improve, can you work on cross functional projects, etc. It's really hard to find work life balance at Google. The workload is huge. I hardly have time to work out. The commute is brutal. My family sometimes needs more from me and I can't give it. I'm still trying to find the balance. I think I need more down time than most people so I have a hard time being structured every day to fit all the things I want into my day, so a lot of things slip, like working out.

Advice to Management

Keep on NOT micromanaging - that is a huge benefit to Google. Most of us have a huge workload and we work in spikes and not chained to our desks, and we care deeply about producing, and we produce a lot. We can do that because you respect us enough to give us some freedom in how we do our jobs.

Moving at the speed of light, burn out is inevitable

Former Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1) Food, food, food. 15+ cafes on main campus (MTV) alone. Mini-kitchens, snacks, drinks, free breakfast/lunch/dinner, all day, errr'day. 2) Benefits/perks. Free 24:7 gym access (on MTV campus). Free (self service) laundry (washer/dryer) available. Bowling alley. Volley ball pit. Custom-built and exclusive employee use only outdoor sport park (MTV). Free health/fitness assessments. Dog-friendly. Etc. etc. etc. 3) Compensation. In ~2010 or 2011, Google updated its compensation packages so that they were more competitive. 4) For the size of the organization (30K+), it has remained relatively innovative, nimble, and fast-paced and open with communication but, that is definitely changing (for the worse). 5) With so many departments, focus areas, and products, *in theory*, you should have plenty of opportunity to grow your career (horizontally or vertically). In practice, not true. 6) You get to work with some of the brightest, most innovative and hard-working/diligent minds in the industry. There's a "con" to that, too (see below).

Cons

1) Work/life balance. What balance? All those perks and benefits are an illusion. They keep you at work and they help you to be more productive. I've never met anybody at Google who actually time off on weekends or on vacations. You may not hear management say, "You have to work on weekends/vacations" but, they set the culture by doing so - and it inevitably trickles down. I don't know if Google inadvertently hires the work-a-holics or if they create work-a-holics in us. Regardless, I have seen way too many of the following: marriages fall apart, colleagues choosing work and projects over family, colleagues getting physically sick and ill because of stress, colleagues crying while at work because of the stress, colleagues shooting out emails at midnight, 1am, 2am, 3am. It is absolutely ridiculous and something needs to change. 2) Poor management. I think the issue is that, a majority of people love Google because they get to work on interesting technical problems - and these are the people that see little value in learning how to develop emotional intelligence. Perhaps they enjoy technical problems because people are too "difficult." People are promoted into management positions - not because they actually know how to lead/manage, but because they happen to be smart or because there is no other path to grow into. So there is a layer of intelligent individuals who are horrible managers and leaders. Yet, there is no value system to actually do anything about that because "emotional intelligence" or "adaptive leadership" are not taken seriously. 3) Jerks. Sure, there are a lot of brilliant people - but, sadly, there are also a lot of jerks (and, many times, they are one and the same). Years ago, that wasn't the case. I don't know if the pool of candidates is getting smaller, or maybe all the folks with great personalities cashed out and left, or maybe people are getting burned out and it's wearing on their personality and patience. I've heard stories of managers straight-up cussing out their employees and intimidating/scaring their employees into compliance. 4) It's a giant company now and, inevitably, it has become slower moving and is now layered with process and bureaucracy. So many political battles, empire building, territory grabbing. Google says, "Don't be evil." But, that practice doesn't seem to be put into place when it comes to internal practices. :(

Advice to Management

1) Don't dismiss emotional intelligence and adaptive leadership. They're not just catch phases. You need great managers and leaders in order to build great companies and develop great employees. The people who may be brilliant at solving technical issues may not be (and are most often, not) the best candidates for management. 2) Do something about that work-ife balance. Don't just have a bunch of pow-wows and tech talks and discussions about it. Leadership should actually model it. Consider re-evaluating how work is done; what processes are in place that are inefficient and ineffective and need to be updated or removed? 3) Don't forget that there is already a pool of incredibly talented people within the company. If career development is really a goal at Google, then do it. Don't just hire from the outside. Take the time to help your employees develop their careers - then maybe you won't lose some of the great ones, and maybe you'll have prevent some of that burn out and disillusionment.

3. Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Culture - Openness from senior management, how people are treated Great Coworkers - Smart and Hardworking Great Senior Leaders - Smart

Cons

Slow in decision making. Sometimes too slow to react to market trends.

Advice to Management

Strive better for product excellence. Launch and iterate doesn't work for consumer products that are not free.

5. Great place to Intern

Former Intern - SWE Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - SWE Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

* Lots of opportunities to learn a lot * Get to use really well set-up infrastructure * Work on interesting projects * High pay, easy conversion to full-time * Relaxed work schedule * Huge campus, lots of places to go (check out the SF office if you have a chance!)

Cons

* Some other interns had not-so-fun projects. * Few and boring intern events.

Advice to Management

Sometimes I wish management would allocate more budget towards better food. Pales in comparison to some other places like Dropbox, although it's certainly better than most.

6. Google is phenomenal

Current Employee - Analytic Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Analytic Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

The culture and environment is off the charts. They do absolutely EVERYTHING they can to take care of employees. The benefits are awesome, there is free food and supplies everywhere...free transportation, etc. You name it and Google provides it...

Cons

The Bay Area cost of living is through the roof...Google has competitive salaries but it's not enough to live in the Bay Area.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

Great Company

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Everything is great, they are the top company to work for, not shocking.

Cons

Expensive place to live. Salary is good but trying to buy a house out here is brutal.

8. Great pay, great job

Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy, working with outstanding peers, work/life balance, great bonuses for high performers

Cons

You can burn out if you're an overachiever, getting "fruitier" every week

Advice to Management

Keep it Googley!

Cool place

Former Employee - Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time

Pros

Free food, great people to work with

Cons

For interns converting to full time, it's annoying that you have to sign an offer before getting matched with a team

Community Manager

Current Employee - Community Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are the most amazing people here! The people alone are what kept me here for so long. It's great to work at a company with a strong and clear mission. Note that it's pretty good work/life balance and you feel valued by the HR/benefits team due to the perks (ie: food, gym, shuttle, health/dental, discounts, dog-friendly workplace), etc.

Cons

Yes, Google is amazing but not all roles at Google are amazing. The work is largely reactive for many roles and sometimes you feel like you are fighting for table scraps when it comes to new and exciting work simply because you're surrounded by tons of high-performing, over-achieving (but wonderful) individuals.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees to enable/empower them with truly exciting, challenging work vs. taking on more team initiatives simply because they need to check boxes.

11. Great place to build skills and get started in tech

Current Employee - Business Operations Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Business Operations Associate in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative & exciting atmosphere ("go change the world" attitude) Ambitious projects & people Great teammates Good benefits and support structures for employees and their families

Cons

Big company issues (bureaucracy, etc.) Lack of growth / promo opps Some lack of vision / execution at the top Travel to office

Advice to Management

Don't be too MTV centric in your governance structure, the town is too small to support Google anymore and lends itself to being focused on the valley rather than future opportunities

Showing 1,154 of 3,921 reviews