Google

2,813 Reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page
1,554 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 140 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 122 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 93 reviews)

More Highlights

911 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Paradise lost.

Former Employee - Software Engineer In Test III in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer In Test III in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Well, it's Google:) You get exceptional perks, including subsidized massages and gourmet food. The average intelligence level of employees is very high and most of the technologies you work on are bleeding edge. The company tries to maintain open information culture and keep people aware of what is going on.

Cons

I've joined in 2005 and Google in 2005, Google in 2008 and Google in 2013 are 3 different companies. The early years made Google the icon for IT world and it was respectfully so. However as the company grew the engineer-centric and open culture has began to disarray and the people (mostly in mid-to-senior management) that should have never been hired started to erode this culture. Now it is becoming more and more like other big corporations. It is still a great company to work for and far better that most of what is out there, but comparing to what it could have become...

Pay more attention to people's career paths within the company. If someone is working on "high value product" it is almost impossible to switch the team (especially if the team you want to go to is not HVP). Avoid bureaucracy as much as possible and worry less about what other companies do (like Facebook) and get back to "industries disruptor mode" in which Google excels at.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - MBA Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - MBA Intern in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of flexibility and exposure to senior management.

Cons

Not transparent with internship conversion process.

Most Cool Place on earth

Current Employee - Visual Designer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Visual Designer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most Cool place to work.
    I am so glad to join Google[x]

Cons

So many nerd. Sometimes, very hard to communicate.

A nice company

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You work over the internet. How cool

Cons

Sometimes you are surfing too much.

Paddle surf

Larry & Sergey have never missed an opportunity to go the extra mile for their employees.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tremendous commitment to work/life balance, very tolerant of internal career changes, outstanding values.

Cons

Company continues to grow quickly, which can cause stress on internal dependencies.

Google, Ok for the young with no families

Former Employee - Google Earth, Acquired From Keyhole in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Google Earth, Acquired From Keyhole in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Pay
    Excitement of a fast moving tech company

Cons

Long hours away from family if you have it.
    Feeling lesser if you dont work extremely long hours.
    Stock options not very valuable since they got so big

Scale back, your growing too fast... this will not last and it will come to a head one day. Make your choices carefully.

It's what you make of it

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Working with smart, effective people: The average intelligence level here is considerably higher than anyplace else I've worked, and the people tend to be very diligent. When I need assistance from another engineer or another team, I typically get quick and effective help. Office politics exist, but compared to anywhere else I've worked they're not a problem.

- Compensation / perks: I'm very satisfied with my compensation. The assorted perks are pretty valuable as well -- the food and fitness facilities are my favorites.

- Work/life balance: From reading other reviews here it seems that experiences in this area vary. But mine have been excellent. I rarely work over 40 hours a week, and when I do it's because I personally feel engaged by what I'm working on, never because of pressure from my manager or team lead. I almost never check work emails during evenings or weekends, and when I come in to the office in the morning I don't find that they've been emailing me during that period. I actually have gotten gentle pushback from my team lead when I asked if he could log in from home later in the evening to review/approve a change I wanted to submit.

Cons

- Impostor syndrome: The flip side of working with so many smart and effective people is that it can be difficult to recognize your own value; if you're used to being the smartest guy in the room and suddenly you're surrounded by people who are at or above your ability, that can be a bit of a blow to the ego. I eventually worked through this, but it took the better part of a year.

- Slow ramp-up: One of the drivers of impostor syndrome for me was that it took me a lot longer to find my footing and get effective here than at other jobs. Some of that is on me for not asking more questions, but I think more proactive support from leadership might have helped. The environment at Google is very unique and there's a lot to learn before an engineer can get things done.

- Living in a bubble: The perks and so on make life at Google very comfortable. I can imagine that leaving that bubble will get difficult.

Amazing place to call work.

Current Employee - Administrative Business Partner in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Business Partner in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Freedom of creativity. I am able to create my own responsibilities and the folks I work with are incredibly intelligent, creating world changing consumer products.

Cons

It's really important to stay ahead of the group I support, but given things change on a daily basis, priorities are never the same from day to day. I don't consider this to be a con, but its something to consider. You must be adaptable as well as have a great sense of humor.

Awesome environment

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly and helpful people around you.
    More than 20 cafes are available.
    Convenient transportation (Free shuttle and GBike)
    High salary of course

Cons

Campus is too big.
    Some projects are trivial.
    I cannot think of any more since Intern program is sooo fancy.

Google Style

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits. They have smart people there. If the work done really makes sense, it gets launched fairly quickly. Not too much pressure, I feel people there have good balance between work and family. The way things work out - large code base, automatic MR jobs, code reviews... are Google style, and they are awesome

Cons

I hear that the food is getting worse (mainly due to the size increase). You want to really stand out for a promotion - but they have many great people there, so this can be tricky.