Google

Google Reviews in Seattle, WA

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights
61 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I really enjoy the environment

Visual Data Specialist (Current Employee) Bothell, WA

ProsSo much lax. freedom. Lots of fun

ConsJob can get a little redundant

Amazing company!!!

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsI have something to compare with. This is the place where you can spend life working on interesting problems, and picking the team where you want to work.

ConsNone. I mean it. It is a corporation now, but still most of the things are very very reasonable

Great company, but getting too big.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSmart people, great perks, and proud on working with greatest company in the world for now. Good life/work balance in general.

ConsHard to get high impact work approved and done. Sometimes too much re-org and too little long term vision could hurt an organization with substantial size. Mid-management usually is the weak link in the system to constraint innovation, vision and productivity. Promotion system is kind of broken - we have managers/senior people in the team who made bad decisions about product but still got promoted at the exact the same time when the project was canceled - this just confused everybody about whether promotion has anything todo with people's work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive mid-level management more responsibilities to decide production directions but at the same time hold them responsible for the failures.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome

Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsThey value your ideas. The employees were happy to work there. Awesome food, awesome people, awesome projects. Flexible working hours, and everyone were dedicated to their job!

ConsOf course the expectations are high. It might be hard to work with people in different countries states when you work on the same project.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Awesome place to work.

Technical Program Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat people and big challenges to work on. They really take care of their people.

ConsThere's a lot going on and sometimes work/life balance suffers.

Full of the worst people from Microsoft

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsAll the usual good stuff about Google: free food and good comp.

ConsGoogle opened the Kirkland office to poach from Microsoft and Amazon. Looks like they got what they wished for. The office and Google internally is just brimming with politics and useless processes now. All the good Engineers have/will leave very shortly.

Great Company

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsIncredibly smart people, challenging work, good management, and excellent perks and compensation make this a great place to work.

ConsSometimes hubris can be a problem - people assume that of course what we do will be the best, because we're Google.

Contract worker...nothing new

Visual Data Specialist (Former Employee) Bothell, WA

ProsFree lunch, nerf gun wars, very relaxed office environment.

ConsThere is almost no possibility to move up within the company. But we all know what we're getting into when we take the job. Just wish companies weren't like this.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you aren't going to offer more opportunities for people to move up within the company or get their contracts extended, maybe offer classes or partial tuition reimbursement for people trying to gain skills while they're there.

Excellent and fun intern program!

Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsWork on interesting and challenging intern projects, meet with lots of smart guys

ConsMay not have the chance to have a impact on the product release, depends on the projects and teams

Great Company

Technical Recruiter (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Proswonderful perks: food, barisita, massage, great co-workers.

Consno upward mobility and unclear expectations for contractors to get converted

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!