Google

2,713 Reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page
1,501 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 140 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 122 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 93 reviews)

More Highlights

66 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Awesome place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

makes you excited abut the things you are doing.It provides you with various kinds of training.

Cons

I don' t see there are any obvious drawbacks. This company has a good work/life balance

Friendly, brilliant people

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great community atmosphere. Brilliant engineers who are humble, respectful, and go out of their way to help you. The perks are seriously insane -- delicious food, world-class gyms, etc. Unlike some other reviewers, I've had no trouble with movement around the company. I will say that I started Google with a particularly excellent and supportive team, which means I got very good peer reviews, which made transfers to other teams quite easy. I've seen others who get unluckily placed in a hohum team and have trouble getting out. I find work-life balance also quite reasonable, though it might help to be remote from the HQ.

Cons

Gets a bit political as you climb up the ladder. Not toxically so, but still annoying.

Google is a good company on the surface, but uses sweatshops to get things done.

Former Employee - Visual Data Specialist in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Visual Data Specialist in Bothell, WA

I worked at Google as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Free food, relaxed atmosphere, nice facilities.

Cons

Low wages, short contracts, treats employees like sheep.

I said something critical of their product (Google maps) and was reprimanded that their product is perfect, thus I was removed immediately. Evidently, Google doesn't want to employ any free thinkers because they want complete dominance over their employees/sheep. Without being critical of their own products, competition is going to surpass them. We see this with Here Maps, Open Maps and even Bing is starting to catch up. Google employs people with little to no GIS knowledge, and relies on internally developed tools to improve their maps. This method isn't as effective as traditional GIS, and you can really see the difference in detail between Google Maps and Here Maps. Google could provide better maps if they hired a smaller group of GIS specialists, but they don't like criticism about their methods. Because of short contracts, by the time people learn their system the contracts are over. I use to love Google products, but after seeing how they run their business first-hand, I would be very cautious to even invest in them.

Overall good experience but outlook may look grim

Former Employee - Visual Data Specialist II in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Visual Data Specialist II in Bothell, WA

I worked at Google as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work. Good perks - free food, zen room, gym, etc. Exciting innovative place to work for professionals. Cool pilot projects to become involved in. Great co-workers who actually care and are passionate about their work. Social work setting depending on your team. Some teams like to work with little communication/silence. Others are more interactive with each other.

Cons

Getting very difficult to get promoted unless you have an 'in'. Management listens but rarely any action is seen. The whole infrastructure of the company is disconnected, especially with quality standards dropping due to shipping Google tech jobs overseas to India - which is becoming more and more prominent in this company. Just because they can pay Indian engineers on the lower end of the payscale to increase profit margins for stakeholders, affects U.S. employees work and creates lots of internal problems.

Listen to your employees and take action. Stop focusing on the bottom line and focus more on making a quality product rather than cutting corners to get the most productivity out of your workers via outsourcing when we need to take care of our economy first. Improve the overall infrastructure, communication between groups, and slipping quality standards. Otherwise, your products will soon turn for the worst.

A company that demonstrates that it values the employees

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Researcher in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Researcher in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great compensation and benefits, fantastic food and snacks, which really boost morale. A culture of respect, and opportunity to work on interesting things, and interact with many different people. Good opportunities to travel to other Google offices. As much opportunity for professional and personal growth as one would like to have.

Cons

It's a big place, spread out across many locations. Though it's a positive when it comes to travel, it can be a little challenge for getting to know others and to be known yourself.

For the executive management, I have no complaints. But for some of the middle and upper management, it is not always clear to me what their mission is. We have visibility into their "official" missions, but the day-in and day-out is not as visible.

I really enjoy the environment

Current Employee - Visual Data Specialist in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Visual Data Specialist in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

So much lax. freedom. Lots of fun

Cons

Job can get a little redundant

Amazing company!!!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have something to compare with. This is the place where you can spend life working on interesting problems, and picking the team where you want to work.

Cons

None. I mean it. It is a corporation now, but still most of the things are very very reasonable

Great company, but getting too big.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, great perks, and proud on working with greatest company in the world for now. Good life/work balance in general.

Cons

Hard to get high impact work approved and done. Sometimes too much re-org and too little long term vision could hurt an organization with substantial size. Mid-management usually is the weak link in the system to constraint innovation, vision and productivity. Promotion system is kind of broken - we have managers/senior people in the team who made bad decisions about product but still got promoted at the exact the same time when the project was canceled - this just confused everybody about whether promotion has anything todo with people's work.

Give mid-level management more responsibilities to decide production directions but at the same time hold them responsible for the failures.

Awesome

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They value your ideas. The employees were happy to work there. Awesome food, awesome people, awesome projects. Flexible working hours, and everyone were dedicated to their job!

Cons

Of course the expectations are high. It might be hard to work with people in different countries states when you work on the same project.

Keep up the good work!

Full of the worst people from Microsoft

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

All the usual good stuff about Google: free food and good comp.

Cons

Google opened the Kirkland office to poach from Microsoft and Amazon. Looks like they got what they wished for. The office and Google internally is just brimming with politics and useless processes now. All the good Engineers have/will leave very shortly.