Google Reviews

Reset
4.0
Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page

Pros
  • Work life balance can be what you want it to be on most teams (in 140 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is extremely hard (in 122 reviews)

• Big company so it takes time to know who's doing what (in 93 reviews)

1. Narrow focus, but on interesting scale

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

Colleagues are consistently capable and dedicated. Perks are of course good. Reasonably open culture. Excellent tools. Senior-level management appears to genuinely care about companies.

Cons

It's a large company, so you can expect to work on a relatively narrow problem. While office politics isn't bad, it does occasionally frustrate, with projects getting moved around without consultation of rank-and-file employees.

Advice to Management

Keep your focus on being a force for good. But don't stray too far from the core mission. Keep talking with your employees!

2. Awesome Perks, Challenge Bureaucracy

Current Employee - Visual Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Visual Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perks Pay Health Benefits Food Care for their employees

Cons

Time blurs between work and life must be a go getter, not a quitter

Advice to Management

Create a place where answering the bigger questions for products

3. VDS2

Current Employee - Visual Data Specialist in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Visual Data Specialist in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Google (More than a year)

Pros

Flex schedule and relaxed work enviroment

Cons

Little or no chance to be promoted to full time permanent status

Advice to Management

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

5. software engineer intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Google (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office. Problems trying to solve is generally large scale.

Cons

Hard to make any meaningful impact as an individual

6. Google Maps (contract)

Current Contractor - Visual Data Specialist III in Bothell, WA
    Current Contractor - Visual Data Specialist III in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great entry-level position to start a career in GIS/mapping. Opportunities to learn more about GIS, coding, etc. Casual atmosphere. Typical tech perks including free food, games, massage chairs, etc. Flex hours (can start between 6:30 and 9:00).

Cons

Typical contractor woes. Frequently redundant grunt work. Close to zero opportunities for hiring on contractors; limited chances for upward mobility (team lead at highest). These cons are to be expected when working under a 1 to 2 year contract, but there seems to be an extra effort to insulate TVCs from the rest of the company (we have our own office building with just a handful of Google PMs/PgMs). Managers cannot provide references for future job opportunities; your vendor can, but they have limited knowledge of project details.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities to people who contribute at a high level.

7. Content

Current Contractor - Content Writer in Bothell, WA
    Current Contractor - Content Writer in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual work environment, open-door policy for support, worked with a small group of very intelligent people. Enjoyed the material I got to read while working on the phone application. I enjoyed the flexibility as far as start times. I liked that I could take a day off whenever I needed it. I also liked that I learned from this job that will hopefully with the next one.

Cons

Not enough room for growth. Had good leadership up until transitioning to a new leadership, then I felt the team fell apart by that point. There was hardly any bond as far as far as the team was concerned. NICE people, but everyone was in their own world and hardly engaged with one another except in weekly meetings. Felt that the vendor was poorly misinformed of what was going on and didn't really take the time to understand our process in order to help us when numbers were low. Felt that the review process was counter-productive in that our work was reviewed by several different individuals with different approaches to how they tackled the work versus how we learned to do the job. It should be one consistent person whose style the writers can adapt to so not to be confused when you've made it so far in the job and get a low score on your performance.

Advice to Management

CONSISTENCY! I encourage you to look up that word and think about how that can apply to your work environment. There seems to be a lack of it. LEADERSHIP. At some point I felt the lack of leadership was what made the team and the work fall apart. Encourage your employees to do better by rewarding them. Don't just wait til they drop in numbers to say something. Focus on the positive effort.

8. best large company

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, friendly culture, infrastructure

Cons

Red tape to doing anything

Advice to Management

Polish existing experiences, get more aesthetic talent

9. Senior Technical Writer

Former Contractor - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything you've heard about Google is true, and more. They made me feel like a rock star. I had an excellent experience from day one. My hiring manager flew out to get me up-to-speed and went out of his way to set up a dinner so I could meet other writers on our team. The team I supported immediately created an environment where I could contribute and thrive -- indeed this is the Google way. I had access to needed training, and a support team of mentors and engineers. It was truly special to receive emails from people in NYC, England or Israel offering to help me if needed. Does it sound like I have a love affair with Google? I do. And it has nothing to do with the free snacks and food. Sure, that's great for the first month -- until you step on the scale! Where Google pulls away from the pack is how they treat you. It didn't matter that I was a contractor. I was invited to all the social off sights and included in Sprints. I was empowered to work independently and trusted to deliver on time. I was encouraged to try new things and not be afraid if it doesn't work To sum it up: My experience was Googlely.

Cons

That my contract ended. I can't really think of anything negative to say.

Advice to Management

Keep your contractors around longer! :)

All the important and interesting projects are in Mountain View

Current Employee - Software Design Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Software Design Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free food, lots of other benefits onsite.

Cons

Lack of career opportunities and good projects unless you want to move to Silicon Valley.

Advice to Management

Send some good work to the remote offices.

Great for recent college grads AND industry professionals

Current Employee - Site Relaility Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Site Relaility Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The other employees are what make this company great. The hiring team has done a great job of building teams with diverse backgrounds (age, experience, etc.) and it makes collaboration fun.

Cons

Google is pretty big now. Sometimes it's hard to tell if any real impact is being made.

Showing 80 of 3,947 reviews