Google

2,954 Reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page
1,629 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 140 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 122 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 93 reviews)

More Highlights

70 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Outside of Mountainview, you feel out of the loop

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- great perks; they try hard to make it a nice place to work
    - very smart people
    - not a lot of politics for a big company
    - decent pay

Cons

- career management is very hard
    - too many smart people means your talent is often wasted on trivial stuff
    - outside of main campus options for advancement are even more limited

Two years of contract writing and editing with no room for growth

Former Employee - Writer in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Writer in Bothell, WA

I worked at Google as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the casual environment and the very intelligent people I got to work with. The subject matter itself (editing and rewriting content for the Field Trip mobile app) could be interesting.

Cons

Terrible leadership, just awful. Most of us were managed by other contractors, Google management didn't know any of the contractors outside of the 5-7 given leadership roles, and the contract vendors had no idea what was going on until someone's numbers dropped. Hard work was not rewarded, there was no potential for a raise or full-time employment, and contracts were automatically terminated after two years as a matter of company policy.

You reap what you sow. If you want dedicated, hard workers, you have to invest in them. Hire full-time people and treat them as such.

Evangelized adoption and usage of Google Apps for Education to university IT departments as a Google Student Ambassador.

Former Employee - Google Student Ambassador in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Google Student Ambassador in Seattle, WA

I worked at Google

Pros

Vibrant work culture and numerous possibilities for professional growth.

Cons

None in my role as a Google Student Ambassador.

Incentivize employer performance with long-lasting intrinsic rewards than short-term extrinsic ones.

Contractors have minimal access to corporate knowledge base.

Former Employee - Technical Writer III in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer III in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Google

Pros

Fabulous talent with honest deliverable within the team.
    Dynamic environment with dynamic tools.
    On site exercise, on site weekly TED style presentations.
    Astonishing and amazing food.
    Green energy.

Cons

Some slow-to-respond, out-of-date information to leverage politics between team leads.
    Contractors have minimal access to corporate knowledge base.

Management cannot prevent people who want to keep their jobs from "protecting" their role with minimalist info. One or two star performers in a sea of mediocrity seems to be on par, even in government.

Awesome place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Google as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

makes you excited abut the things you are doing.It provides you with various kinds of training.

Cons

I don' t see there are any obvious drawbacks. This company has a good work/life balance

Friendly, brilliant people

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great community atmosphere. Brilliant engineers who are humble, respectful, and go out of their way to help you. The perks are seriously insane -- delicious food, world-class gyms, etc. Unlike some other reviewers, I've had no trouble with movement around the company. I will say that I started Google with a particularly excellent and supportive team, which means I got very good peer reviews, which made transfers to other teams quite easy. I've seen others who get unluckily placed in a hohum team and have trouble getting out. I find work-life balance also quite reasonable, though it might help to be remote from the HQ.

Cons

Gets a bit political as you climb up the ladder. Not toxically so, but still annoying.

Google is a good company on the surface, but uses sweatshops to get things done.

Former Employee - Visual Data Specialist in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Visual Data Specialist in Bothell, WA

I worked at Google as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Free food, relaxed atmosphere, nice facilities.

Cons

Low wages, short contracts, treats employees like sheep.

I said something critical of their product (Google maps) and was reprimanded that their product is perfect, thus I was removed immediately. Evidently, Google doesn't want to employ any free thinkers because they want complete dominance over their employees/sheep. Without being critical of their own products, competition is going to surpass them. We see this with Here Maps, Open Maps and even Bing is starting to catch up. Google employs people with little to no GIS knowledge, and relies on internally developed tools to improve their maps. This method isn't as effective as traditional GIS, and you can really see the difference in detail between Google Maps and Here Maps. Google could provide better maps if they hired a smaller group of GIS specialists, but they don't like criticism about their methods. Because of short contracts, by the time people learn their system the contracts are over. I use to love Google products, but after seeing how they run their business first-hand, I would be very cautious to even invest in them.

Overall good experience but outlook may look grim

Former Employee - Visual Data Specialist II in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Visual Data Specialist II in Bothell, WA

I worked at Google as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Good perks - free food, zen room, gym, etc. Exciting innovative place to work for professionals. Cool pilot projects to become involved in. Great co-workers who actually care and are passionate about their work. Social work setting depending on your team. Some teams like to work with little communication/silence. Others are more interactive with each other.

Cons

Getting very difficult to get promoted unless you have an 'in'. Management listens but rarely any action is seen. The whole infrastructure of the company is disconnected, especially with quality standards dropping due to shipping Google tech jobs overseas to India - which is becoming more and more prominent in this company. Just because they can pay Indian engineers on the lower end of the payscale to increase profit margins for stakeholders, affects U.S. employees work and creates lots of internal problems.

Listen to your employees and take action. Stop focusing on the bottom line and focus more on making a quality product rather than cutting corners to get the most productivity out of your workers via outsourcing when we need to take care of our economy first. Improve the overall infrastructure, communication between groups, and slipping quality standards. Otherwise, your products will soon turn for the worst.

A company that demonstrates that it values the employees

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Researcher in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Researcher in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great compensation and benefits, fantastic food and snacks, which really boost morale. A culture of respect, and opportunity to work on interesting things, and interact with many different people. Good opportunities to travel to other Google offices. As much opportunity for professional and personal growth as one would like to have.

Cons

It's a big place, spread out across many locations. Though it's a positive when it comes to travel, it can be a little challenge for getting to know others and to be known yourself.

For the executive management, I have no complaints. But for some of the middle and upper management, it is not always clear to me what their mission is. We have visibility into their "official" missions, but the day-in and day-out is not as visible.

I really enjoy the environment

Current Employee - Visual Data Specialist in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Visual Data Specialist in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

So much lax. freedom. Lots of fun

Cons

Job can get a little redundant