Google Reviews in Seattle, WA

2,460 Reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page
1,327 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights

63 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A company that demonstrates that it values the employees

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Researcher  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Researcher in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great compensation and benefits, fantastic food and snacks, which really boost morale. A culture of respect, and opportunity to work on interesting things, and interact with many different people. Good opportunities to travel to other Google offices. As much opportunity for professional and personal growth as one would like to have.

Cons

It's a big place, spread out across many locations. Though it's a positive when it comes to travel, it can be a little challenge for getting to know others and to be known yourself.

For the executive management, I have no complaints. But for some of the middle and upper management, it is not always clear to me what their mission is. We have visibility into their "official" missions, but the day-in and day-out is not as visible.

Overall good experience but outlook may look grim

Former Employee - Visual Data Specialist II  in  Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Visual Data Specialist II in Bothell, WA

I worked at Google as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work. Good perks - free food, zen room, gym, etc. Exciting innovative place to work for professionals. Cool pilot projects to become involved in. Great co-workers who actually care and are passionate about their work. Social work setting depending on your team. Some teams like to work with little communication/silence. Others are more interactive with each other.

Cons

Getting very difficult to get promoted unless you have an 'in'. Management listens but rarely any action is seen. The whole infrastructure of the company is disconnected, especially with quality standards dropping due to shipping Google tech jobs overseas to India - which is becoming more and more prominent in this company. Just because they can pay Indian engineers on the lower end of the payscale to increase profit margins for stakeholders, affects U.S. employees work and creates lots of internal problems.

Listen to your employees and take action. Stop focusing on the bottom line and focus more on making a quality product rather than cutting corners to get the most productivity out of your workers via outsourcing when we need to take care of our economy first. Improve the overall infrastructure, communication between groups, and slipping quality standards. Otherwise, your products will soon turn for the worst.

I really enjoy the environment

Current Employee - Visual Data Specialist  in  Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Visual Data Specialist in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Google full-time for more than a year

Pros

So much lax. freedom. Lots of fun

Cons

Job can get a little redundant

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing company!!!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Google full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have something to compare with. This is the place where you can spend life working on interesting problems, and picking the team where you want to work.

Cons

None. I mean it. It is a corporation now, but still most of the things are very very reasonable

Great company, but getting too big.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people, great perks, and proud on working with greatest company in the world for now. Good life/work balance in general.

Cons

Hard to get high impact work approved and done. Sometimes too much re-org and too little long term vision could hurt an organization with substantial size. Mid-management usually is the weak link in the system to constraint innovation, vision and productivity. Promotion system is kind of broken - we have managers/senior people in the team who made bad decisions about product but still got promoted at the exact the same time when the project was canceled - this just confused everybody about whether promotion has anything todo with people's work.

Give mid-level management more responsibilities to decide production directions but at the same time hold them responsible for the failures.

Awesome

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern  in  Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Google as an intern for less than a year

Pros

They value your ideas. The employees were happy to work there. Awesome food, awesome people, awesome projects. Flexible working hours, and everyone were dedicated to their job!

Cons

Of course the expectations are high. It might be hard to work with people in different countries states when you work on the same project.

Keep up the good work!

Awesome place to work.

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people and big challenges to work on. They really take care of their people.

Cons

There's a lot going on and sometimes work/life balance suffers.

Full of the worst people from Microsoft

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

All the usual good stuff about Google: free food and good comp.

Cons

Google opened the Kirkland office to poach from Microsoft and Amazon. Looks like they got what they wished for. The office and Google internally is just brimming with politics and useless processes now. All the good Engineers have/will leave very shortly.

Contract worker...nothing new

Former Employee - Visual Data Specialist  in  Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Visual Data Specialist in Bothell, WA

I worked at Google as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Free lunch, nerf gun wars, very relaxed office environment.

Cons

There is almost no possibility to move up within the company. But we all know what we're getting into when we take the job. Just wish companies weren't like this.

If you aren't going to offer more opportunities for people to move up within the company or get their contracts extended, maybe offer classes or partial tuition reimbursement for people trying to gain skills while they're there.

Great Company

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Google full-time for more than a year

Pros

Incredibly smart people, challenging work, good management, and excellent perks and compensation make this a great place to work.

Cons

Sometimes hubris can be a problem - people assume that of course what we do will be the best, because we're Google.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!