Google

Google Reviews in Toronto, ON Canada

Updated May 9, 2014

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development(in 103 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro(in 218 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging(in 98 reviews)

• Google is no different than any other big company and they are starting to realize it(in 70 reviews)

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to intern at!

BOLD Intern (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- Fun corporate culture
    - Competitive pay
    - Amazing people
    - Challenging work
    - Good work-life balance
    - Plenty of opportunity to travel
    - Free food!

Cons- Very demanding
    - High expectations
    - Stressful

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Treatment varies greatly depending on full time or contract status. Not as good as it appears to be.

Technical Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) Kitchener, ON (Canada)

Pros- Nice people
    - Free food and snacks
    - Great computer equipment and supplies
    - Desks where you can stand or sit (although not everyone had one)
    - Library, patio, and areas to lounge
    - Gym, exercise room
    - Unique office environment
    - Well documented tools

Cons- Be wary of people that bring gifts like free food, there is usually a catch. (Company tries to create an environment in which employees never leave. By trying to turn work into "home", employees do not learn to take care of themselves and be on their own.)
    - Work days are very slow to start and late to finish ie: 9am - 6pm. I'm accustomed to 8am-4:30pm or 5pm. I like to have *some* daylight when my work day is finished.
    - No flex time for contractors.
    - No benefits
    - Pay is "average" or "below average" depending on whether you are full time or contractor
    - Many employees at Google are contract employees. These people have no benefits. (All the free food in the world does not make up for the lack of a pension plan, dental coverage, stock options, or other "real" monetary benefits etc.)
    - Contract employees are used and discarded, and kept separate from full time staff
    - Contract work does not lead to full time positions
    - Contractors cannot stay for more than one year before having to leave the company
    - My manager worked remotely and was usually not present
    - Daily team stand-up meetings were frequently cancelled.
    - Employees in the same room communicate through IM rather than face to face. Isn't it faster to talk than to type?
    - Skills gained are not transferable because Google uses its own proprietary software and tools.
    - Opinions and suggestions are not welcome.
    - Employees spent code reviews nitpicking about having too many program comments. That's right: comments *about* comments!
    - Employees are dismissed? without notification. ***

***My badge was deactivated this morning and nobody has contacted me since! I have no idea whether I'm still an employee at Google or not. It has been 10 hours. I have never seen a situation like this before. It is outrageous. I still have personal belongings in the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry being in the building to manage employees.

Treat contract workers like people rather than as objects to be used and thrown away.

pretty good

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosgood benefits, good people to work with

Consnot much, except it's competitive

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Google

Adwords Associate (Current Employee) Kitchener, ON (Canada)

ProsA typical day is 9-5 and the workplace is positive. The hardest part of my job is being recognized. The most enjoyable part of my job is the freedom the position gives me.

Conslimited work/life balance, expected to work on paid holidays, little advancement opportunities, very competitive culture

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't konw

a very competitive and political atmosphere

Analytical Lead (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- very international team
    - nice office with good benefits (free food and lunch, gym)

Cons- very high volume of work
    - very political;
    - talended people are not rewarded;
    - no careers opportunities
    - no life/balance (you need to go out every week to be promoted)

Advice to Senior Management- be human and fair

A great place to work!

BOLD Intern (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- Great Culture
    - Good Pay
    - Amazing People
    - Many Learning Experiences
    - Real Responsibility
    - Free Food

Cons- A lot to learn in 12 weeks

Work darn hard, but it's very rewarding on many levels

Senior Accounts Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsIncredibly talented teammates, great camaraderie and passion to excel. Fantastic work environment (food, massages, games, etc.). Powerful products.

ConsNot for those who aren't willing to give it 110% and work hard for it. Work-life balance isn't impossible, but you have to be extremely efficient and effective in order to achieve some degree of balance.

Great food, awesome people, global projects

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Kitchener, ON (Canada)

ProsComfortable office spaces built with humans in mind. Lots of freedom in choosing what to work on. Projects with global impact. Generous budgeting. Opportunities to travel. Managers that know the tech side of the projects.

ConsWith all the smart people around it's not that easy to get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the good work.

Unparalleled

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Kitchener, ON (Canada)

ProsFreedom to work and motivate one self. There is no micro-managing and you're given the freedom to work the way you want as long as it drives results. They also understand the importance of life balance and have helped me instill balance in my life.

ConsI really can't think of anything. There may be times where you feel the work isn't right for you, but it's big enough that you're able to move to a project and location that suits you.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!