Google

Google Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Jun 18, 2014

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development(in 103 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro(in 218 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging(in 98 reviews)

• Google is no different than any other big company and they are starting to realize it(in 70 reviews)

76 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Do no evil? Guess not..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree to do random stuff

ConsFocus on academics means lack of proper direction
    It's all changing

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some great people, rather than the phd's who pass your silly interview questions and then cant actually produce deliverables...

Google: change is needed to avoid complacency & loss of competitive edge

Strategic Partner Development Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros2 types of people that will find a great place to work: (1) recent college or B-school graduates looking for a first job where they can learn a lot, and (2) more senior corporate executives with many years of experience who aren't overly ambitious and are looking for a role where they can put life on auto-pilot and glide through their day-to-day activities.

ConsThere is no clear career progression, and senior management is arrogant.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward employees based on achievements as opposed to favoritism by one's direct line manager. Ensure that rewards / bonuses / promotions are not entirely up to one person (ie the specific team manager), and instead need to factor in feedback and opinions that the direct line manager cannot overrule.

Didn't quite live up to what I imagined

Business Associate Intern (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat perks (food, gym), great kudos.

ConsWas not inspired by the work I was doing, there are lots of smart people doing very mundane jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush the interns harder.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great if you're an engineer, not so great if you're in UX or not in Mountain View

User Experience Designer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsLots of freedom, cool projects and great colleagues. You have to find the right project though, where the team does appreciate UX as that's not always the case. Manage that and you'll have a blast. Also great benefits (good pension, medical insurance plus things like gym membership, and of course free food) and a very decent salary.

ConsGoogle doesn't really seem to understand UX. Design decisions are often made by committee and based on technology or what the VP likes. The UX designer then gets the job of painting the pixels. There's also little understanding of the different roles within UX (visual designer, interaction designer, researcher). I find the work very simple and repetitive do miss the more interesting bits of UX design (conceptual, strategical work)

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Challenging

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) City of London, England (UK)

Pros- Relaxed environment
    - Considerate to personal needs
    - Great benefits
    - Growing business

Cons- Poor on boarding
    - In experienced work colleagues
    - Poor management
    - too many meetings

Advice to Senior Management-

Great perks, mediocre career opportunities

Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat benefits, this is the main reason people site for working at Google. My colleagues were fantastic and make my daily life at Google much happier.

ConsYour job is generally dreadfully boring, so the good perks are the only thing you can really look for to. Once these are taken away I'm not really sure why someone would want to work there, usually perhaps you are an engineer.
    There is no real career growth at Google, because no one wants to leave, this forces the best talent to leave the firm prematurely while the good old boys keep their well paid jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove career prospects if you want people to stick around longer.

Overall good

Software Engineer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIt is a fun place to work. Everybody is willing to teach you something new.

ConsThe company is a bit overwhelming

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat perks, training and compensation. Management structure can be good at times.

ConsProgression can be arbitrary.

I had a blast

User Experience Designer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWorking with smart people,
    Get to build cool stuff,
    Free food!

ConsWork-life-inbalance is an issue. I guess they make it so good to stay there, that you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust those who are good at what they do. You've hired them for a reason.

Love it

Business Associate Intern (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsCulture, compensation and company. In addition very good conditions

ConsWorking hours and the fact that senior management does not regards interns as added-value tool

Advice to Senior ManagementShould consider the progression of interns

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!