Google

2,931 Reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page
1,615 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 140 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 122 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 93 reviews)

More Highlights

100 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great experience, but all consuming

I worked at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'll miss my team and the people the most, Google has done a great job in hiring over the years. The fast pace (for such a large company) is very exciting, and the autonomy (once you have proven yourself) is great for people who relish that. Also the values are strong and the ability to innovate and really push for new developments and advances in your role and function are really well supported

Cons

For people outside the US, increasingly becoming too US (well Valley) centric - aside from regional roles most of the interesting senior roles are based there, beware if you are in Europe or elsewhere globally. Drain of people moving there as the only means to further their careers. Also politics (as with any big company) is rife and silo's strong. Finally don't expect to have much of a life outside of the company

Long term, need to build a more inclusive global strategy as concentrating in the Valley is an introspective approach for a major global player

The best experience in my carreer

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great projects and culture, plenty of nice and interesting people to work with, easy to get involved in whatever interests you.
    Also plenty of resources and supportive management which allows to be ambitious and still succeed.
    Perks are also great.

Cons

I can't imagine working somewhere else even for much more money.

Great challenges, lots of opportunity to learn and grow, and an extremely cool culture.

I have been working at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Very smart and nice colleagues.
    - Solve on problems on a completely different scale than other companies.
    - Lovely culture and great perks.

Cons

- Very Mountain-view-centric, especially at higher levels
    - Mountain view is a horrible place to live.

Reduce the growth in mountain view so it becomes less than all other larger offices.
    Spread senior management around into other offices

Great place to work, but...

Current Employee - Finance Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Free food, free gym, plenty of autonomy and perks. Interesting speakers come into talk and we can generally set our own times and get our work done to our own rhythms.

Cons

Interesting projects are hard to come by outside the US hub. There is a hierarchy even if they claim there isn't. Decisions take forever - everyone's opinion is valid, yet there are too many decision makers and no decisions. Promotion is more about who you know that what you did. You will work long hours - usually till 7pm.

Overall good

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a fun place to work. Everybody is willing to teach you something new.

Cons

The company is a bit overwhelming

Good company

I worked at Google

Pros

Great perks, training and compensation. Management structure can be good at times.

Cons

Progression can be arbitrary.

Had the best time of my life.

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Did an internship as a Software Engineer at the London office and also had the opportunity to visit Mountain View.
    * My team was great, all super talented people from different areas (most of them Ivy-leaguers) - theoretical Physisists, CS folks, hardware specialists and even guys with background in social sciences - all of them software engineers, too.
    * The project was super interesting and meaningful and unlike other companies, Google has very good tutorials/material to get you up to speed in whatever you do.
    * The atmosphere is great. Awesome food and the little micro-kitchens make you feel very comfortable. But it's not only the food, most engineers are very outgoing and fun and the ones who aren't are good at heart.
    * Reputation. Google not only does great software but does what many other large companies fail to do: they conduct research in areas beyond their core business, in areas that are completely new, only to prove everyone wrong and show what can be done. Examples (just to name a few): - Google Fiber - Google Glass - Project Loon - Google driverless car. Personally, I find this super exciting.
    * Benefits. There's so many, even for interns! Don't know where to start. You can spend 20% of your time on a project of your choice. I did a 20% project with another intern, that was really fun.
    * Cool activities. The recruiters did a truly awesome job at organizing weekly fun activities (e.g. we watched "the Internship" before its original release in the cinema, flew to the Zurich office for the "intern summit", just to name a few ). And this in addition to all the other fun stuff happening every day.

Cons

* many people think high of themselves; but I guess this is normal in companies that hire the best, luckliy there's most people aren't like this

Keep hiring awesome tech people. Maybe raise standards for technical questions.

Still one of the best companies to work for

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work culture, amazing colleagues, excellent benefits and most importantly, really challenging work

Cons

After a while, you get too much pigeon-holed in to a specific role; Only x% of the people still do get to work on awesome open source stuff - everyone else works on a gaint, pretty much closed ecosystem, platform and tech stack wise.
    Also, the company is getting too big, a little outside of everyone's comfort zone; almost 0% work-life balance;

while taking on more work looks good on your appraisal, a ton of actually doing it ends up on your team - just be aware of that.

I had a blast

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Google as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Working with smart people,
    Get to build cool stuff,
    Free food!

Cons

Work-life-inbalance is an issue. I guess they make it so good to stay there, that you do.

Trust those who are good at what they do. You've hired them for a reason.

Love it

Current Employee - Business Associate Intern in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Associate Intern in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Culture, compensation and company. In addition very good conditions

Cons

Working hours and the fact that senior management does not regards interns as added-value tool

Should consider the progression of interns