Google Reviews

• United Kingdom
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

1. Great employer (Was an MBA intern)

Former Employee - MBA Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - MBA Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at Google

Pros

- Intrapreneurial - Ability to make a terrific impact in a short amount of time - Exposure to one of the best technologies - Treated fairly well and almost equal as employees

Cons

- Sometimes you may have to do projects that are not necessarily innovative or make the best use of your skills - Access to data that is needed for your job is hard to come by. It is always a constant struggle to convince the right folks to grant you access

2. Fun place to be

I worked at Google

Pros

Bright people all around you

Cons

Too much focus on some individuals

3. I have had an overall positive experience working at this company, and would be likely to suggest others to work there.

I have been working at Google

Pros

You meet some of the most interesting and intelligent people around.

Cons

Really disorganized for a company of it's size, at least in the marketing department.

Advice to Management

Don't innovate for the sake of innovation, focus yourself

5. The true reality of Google's "Promised Land"

Current Contractor - Partner Brand Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Partner Brand Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance (you can practically work anywhere in the office without feeling micromanaged). Have the say that the perks at Google are what keep people here -- free breakfast, lunch and gym.

Cons

My experience has been that unless you start your career at Google, it is very difficult to come into this work place and be seen as an added-value team member. In fact, I found that as a contractor, you are looked down upon as admin support as opposed to someone who can actually bring some outside experience and perspective to the team. My general experience has been that Google can be a bit clicky and that it is tough to build relationships with people ( even if you are a naturally social person). Another down side was the surprise that salaries were quite lower at Google than are at most other places with similar job roles.

Advice to Management

Identify talent early and keep those who truly bring value to your business.

If they ever rebrand as a restaurant I'd definitely eat there.

Former Contractor - Recruiter in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Recruiter in London, England (UK)

I worked at Google as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The food is absolutely fantastic, and most offices are genuinely cool.

Cons

If you are not an engineer you will be working surrounded by a collection of people scared to get in the way of the engineers. The amount of legacy systems in HR and recruitment were just astonishing. Zero priority. Some people are nice, some aren't. The Googleyness thing basically boils down to "never give bad feedback". Management is terrified of direct feedback, and "anonymous" queries that result in less than good grades will be pursued until people change them. As a result, there's a yes culture where people are basically grateful for being there, and not able/eager to change or improve anything that did not come from the top. Even on the engineering side of things: sure, if you are working in Google X you'll probably be doing cool stuff. The blunt of the rest is basically tweaking ads. Don't forget, 90% of revenue comes from online advertisement. A proportional amount of engineering time is devoted to make sure it continues that way. Let's skip the disregard for privacy because this is bad enough :)

Advice to Management

Be honest about bad feedback. It's the only way to improve.

Cult of growth

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

Competent and mostly helpful colleagues. Extreme amount of information accessible. Very powerful tools. Huge infrastructure for experimenting. Memegen.

Cons

Cult of growth. Everything is measured, quantified and evaluated in terms of growth and impact. Exponential growth is expected in every single metric: number of projects, number of users, lines of code, impact, whatever. If something stops growing, it usually gets killed. Do you remember Google Reader? It stopped growing. Look out for your own stats, and get transferred quickly if you stop growing at your current place. Lack of focus. Hyperactive and very disruptive development in most areas, with user experience neglected. It is starting to hit back (as of 2014-2015). Unfortunately, I can't go into details on the consequences of this one, due to confidentiality. Chaos. There is no stable point, everything changes all the time. All documentation is unfinished and/or outdated. Very few people have the 'big picture' and they don't have time to share it, because they have to chase their own growth. Reorganization is continually happening. People come and go, teams come and go, products come and go. Usually we move 3-4 times a year. Noogler onboarding is often forgotten. There's a story about a noogler haunting the buildings for 2 months before finding out whom he reported to. I'm not sure if that ever happened, but I've seen people wandering around for several days. (Now I have the routine to spot them and help finding their team.) Long working hours and stress. This is most prevalent in SRE, but many development teams experience it, too. Cult vocabulary. There are hundreds of words for common things. On top of that, all projects have their internal codenames, and sometimes 3-4 different names refer to the same thing. You can speak whole sentences with words that only googlers understand. Willpower, Ikea, magnet, batman, etc.: those words do not mean what you think they mean. Location-specific issues. The company is centered around Mountain View, and you are almost certainly required to move there if you become important. Other sites (especially non-US sites) provide significantly less perks and choices. Mountain View is extremely crowded, and facilities can't keep up with the growth. Property prices are crazily inflated by googlers, and traffic is bad for the same reason. London still has some office space, but it pays much less than other sites, while living costs are the same or higher. The company sets the salaries based purely on industry average, not on living costs. The London benchmark seems to be flawed. You can't afford to rent any decent flat near the office, and commute is awful during peak times. Offices are open plan everywhere. Waiting for male toilets is very common at most sites. With regards to quality of life, the Zurich site is the most livable in Europe, and maybe New York in the US (until Eric Schmidt applies his stupid crowdedness-makes-you-creative theory).

Advice to Management

Allow people to focus on one thing, even if it slows growth down. It results in better quality and less fixing later.

Best years of my career

I have been working at Google

Pros

Great people, incredible culture

Cons

I can't think of any.

Interviewed at Google

Current Intern - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Google is the best company in the world and its a pleasure to work there

Cons

I didn't find any cons, I think there are no cons at all

It's no wonder...

I have been working at Google

Pros

Great culture and career opportunities (not to mention THE canteen!)

Cons

Not many... A bit too hierarchical

Summer intern working on main campus in MTV

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome food, great peers, many events for interns

Cons

Large software stack takes some time to learn at the beginning so 3 months is not a lot of time.

Showing 139 of 3,768 reviews