Gordmans

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gordmans President, CEO, and Secretary Jeffrey J. Gordman

Jeffrey J. Gordman

Pros
  • Best benefit about working with Gordman's is the employee discount(in 5 reviews)

• You get a 20% discount if you work there and you learn a lot about retail marketing(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance, change implementation(in 7 reviews)

• My biggest complaint is the scheduling, there is no work-life balance AT ALL(in 4 reviews)

I will never work retail again, thanks to this place.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsConstantly doing something and always staying busy so the work day moves quickly. Great job to stay in shape and keep active.

Great if you enjoy working with the public.

ConsWork-life ratio is terrible. I was told once that I couldn't take more than a week off for a long over due vacation. I worked 6 months at one time without getting a full weekend off.

The company makes promises they don't keep. Instead of promoting within, they hire Store Managers and District Managers who haven't worked a day in an actual store.

They promote and hire with the intention to train and then never follow through... But they expect you to know what and how to do it anyway.

District Managers don't even know the names of the Assistant Managers in the stores.

Pay is not worth what they put you through.

They tell their associates that the employee survey is confidential and it is not. It will get back to the SM.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork in the store for a month doing the same job as EVERY part time associate.

Lack of follow up

ProsThe company growth is great it opens up other opportunities in future areas

ConsLack of follow up, even after everyone says if you have any questions call us and we will help out. Then when you do call you get they will call you back when they get a min, and still never get a response.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow up is critical even in all situations.

Good for seasonal position

Sales Associate (Home Fashions) (Former Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsCoworkers were fun and easy to get along with. Pay was decent.

ConsI was hired in August and had a decent amount of hours up until after New Years. The holiday season is obviously super busy so when a couple people in my department quit, a few of us were expected to make up for their absence. My manager didn't seem to care about our lives outside of Gordmans. Me, being a student, this was a big problem. After the holidays, everyone's hours got cut and they didn't even have a reason as to why or even a clue as to when our hours would pick back up. I went about a month to a month and a half of not working when I just ended up "quitting". I went in to check my schedule like I did every week and my name was no longer on the list. Was I fired without so much as a phone call or did they assume I quit after not being scheduled? I'll never know.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication is a must!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Eh.

Guest Service Associate (Current Employee)

ProsI like the flexible hours and managers are usually very accommodating of second jobs. Overall a fun company to work for.

ConsSome managers do play favorites with employees and it's very noticeable to other employees. They also ask for suggestions on how to make things better, but never implement any of the suggestions. Communication between management and departments is practically non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a lot more communication. Part time associates in the departments have no idea what's going on if they're off for more than a day.

Its ok part time job

Cashier, Sales Associate (Current Employee) Minot, ND

Prosemployee discount, manager and assistant manager are good people

Conssome supervisors on a real power kick, dont feel the corp cares much for their employees due to cut off hours leaving people with loss of income during slow periods, i feel the company penny pinches giving people a lunch and only one 15 min break if putting in 7.5 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think there stuck between a rock and a hard place. Caring people stuck between the employees and a corporate headquarters who doesnt care about employees. Good Luck

If you are interested in helping people find the perfect outfit this will be the job for you!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Thornton, CO

ProsYou get a 20% discount if you work there and you learn a lot about retail marketing.

ConsYou have to more weedends then not!

Advice to Senior ManagementMore chairs for customers to take a breather on.

Ok at best

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsMission and Values, the people

Conswork life balance, change implementation

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your store teams. Gordmans is NOT Kohls

Stay away unless you really need the job.

Area Assistant (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsThe Distribution Center has casual work environment.

ConsMost people with real skills work here until they get a promotion and then they find a better job somewhere else, creating "brain drain" within the company.

While there are a few good managers, many lack the basic communication, planning, and people skills required to effectively do their jobs. Communication within and between most departments is very poor.

You see a lot of "you get what you pay for" with the employees. Due to the low pay and poor benefits most people treat this as a disposable job and just do not care, making those people that do care jobs more difficult.

A big part of this problem lies within the HR and Loss Prevention departments. Lots of penny pinching and oppressive rules wear the employees out and make for a horrible work environment:

They give people a lunch and only 1 break during their shift (you have to work 8+ hours to get your 2nd break). When there is no overtime, they make people leave at around 7 hours and 45 minutes just so they don't have to pay employees for taking a second break. Who does that?

They make employees wait until they walk all the way across the warehouse to punch in at the time clock closest to their work area. It is a big warehouse and they do not want to pay employees to walk from the door to their area. This lets you know just how little they value *your* time.

Loss Prevention keeps track of how much time people spend in the bathrooms.

If you forget your badge, they charge you to use a temporary badge for the day.

These are only a few of the problems, but all of these things add up to make for a work environment where most employees just do not care about their jobs. Why would they when the company obviously does not care about them?

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the DC is going to thrive and live up to its potential, start treating your employees with some respect and stop making them feel like second class citizens. You really do get what you pay for. Start paying more and offer insurance without the high deductible to attract better employees. Stop penny pinching and creating rules that drag everyone down to the point where they do not care about their jobs. Make it a place where people want to come to work, not just do their time and collect a paycheck.

Horrible Management

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Nampa, ID

ProsFun people to work with and a decent discount.

ConsHorrible communication between management and employees. Could be a decent place to work but when things change with how things are run weekly and the employees are the last to hear about it, it becomes a frustrating environment to work in. Hours are also based seasonally so unless its around the holiday the hours get cut a lot. Had different leads in each department constantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave daily meetings explaining any changes that might be going on. The very rare "take 5" meetings never really went over much. And on top of a meeting or even instead of make daily notes for all employees and have them readily posted. Your employees are the backbone and they need to all know whats going on in the company or any changes to how things work as soon as possible in order for them to function properly and do a good job. The CEO really needs to pay more attention to how his stores are actually run. Surprise visits do nothing because the managers make everything look like its in order but its not.

It has been challenging working for this company and I have had to persevere.

Freight Handler/Machine Operator (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsIt is a job with benefits.

ConsHigh employee turnover rate. Lack of communication from above and between various departments. Favoritism of certain employees. Inordinate amount of Dysfunctional equipment. Can have some frustrating days, weeks and months.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and value them and their opinions.

Worked for Gordmans? Contribute to the Community!