Gordmans

Updated November 19, 2014
2.3

Gordmans President, CEO, and Secretary Jeffrey J. Gordman
Jeffrey J. Gordman

Pros
  • Best benefit about working with Gordman's is the employee discount (in 10 reviews)

• The discount is good and when a clearance event is going on or an extra discount event happens its even better (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance, change implementation (in 7 reviews)

• Retail - as a part-time, entry level associate I always had the worst shifts (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good second job

I worked at Gordmans part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working here. I liked my co workers and the discount. Scheduling was very flexible which was nice with my full time job. Some weeks I had no availability and some weeks I had a lot and it worked out.

Cons

The signs regarding price were confusing to customers. Hard to search for prices when tags fall off. Low quality clothes. Pay on the low side.

Raise the quality on some of the merchandise. Raise pay a bt.

good managers

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Gordmans part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

there were lots of chances to learn new things and change positions. You were always busy,Had very good managers who are willing to teach and are willing to jump in and help when needed. The managers are willing to work around your school schedule and was very easy to get hours if willing to work hard. employee discount is good too.

Cons

hard to get promoted unless willing to switch to other stores, no benefits for part timers

offer benefits for part timers and give more chances for promotions

It was good in the beginning...

Current Employee - Seasonal Associate in Fremont, NE
    Current Employee - Seasonal Associate in Fremont, NE

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I always loved shopping at Gordmans and even just walking around the store to see everything they had. I thought, I would always love to work there.

Yes the discounts are good, since we are able to use them with any other sale going on pretty much.

They encourage you to ask questions. If you don't know how to do something or need help with something, ASK. They will always help.

Cons

It's hard. I am a college student attending school on an athletic scholarship. I know they hired me as only seasonal but I am not able to work most weekends because I am traveling with my team. They were disappointed in that, but were willing to work around that. That has been good, but it still seems like every weekend they are calling me to come in. I'm in a completely different state half the time so I really can't come in.

Throughout the week I am busy with practice for my sport as well as school and maybe some extra credit school events that I can attend. I have gone in the DayForce system to put in my hours of availability, I've written it down for them, I have talked to them and told them when I am able to work but they still don't listen and then get mad because I don't come in on time.

Because I don't come in on time, they play favorites, giving me the most work for that night. They let everyone else go early when they finish their work but I still get stuck there til late until I'm finished with everything. For most people they would ask "Who still needs help?" Even if I say I do, the other people get to leave early. I don't think that is very fair.

Learn to listen and communicate with your employees. If something is wrong, talk to them about it. Don't always get mad because you guys don't listen.

Company Needs a Reality Check

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Guest Service
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Guest Service

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling and usually get days off that you request, co-workers are usually easy to get along with, 20% discount on top of clearance event discounts (if 50%, you get 70% off).

Cons

Human resource department is a joke and NEVER takes action on employee complaints and advice, management are hypocrites, company aren't "realists", meaning they come up with procedures and policies that aren't realistic and shows that they don't really know how things work on the internal store level, fashion merchandisers don't know what customers want half of the time, decided to open on Thanksgiving this year, but doesn't pay holiday pay or pay and a half, REQUIRED to work Black Friday (but sure that's most retail stores), feel the company doesn't value employees, and CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP (budget cuts are ridiculous and at some points there was only one cashier able to be scheduled on a Saturday. They expect things [freight, projects, etc] to get done, but never have enough employees able to be scheduled due to money).

It was hot and cold

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Guest Service in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Guest Service in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Gordmans (more than an year)

Pros

The discount was nice and it's a very easy job and honestly really hard to get fired, you could get away with being ridiculously lazy which isn't really a good thing. They have a very flexible schedule

Cons

Like I said you could be very lazy which makes it very frustrating for those of is who work hard. Corporate is a joke, they underpay everyone and have unrealistic demands and put too much pressure on the associates. Lots of highschool type drama and favoritism. Very frustrating

Decent first job

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Gordmans

Pros

Fellow sales associates are really nice, fun people. Some of the higher-ups are too. Hours are somewhat flexible

Cons

Retail - as a part-time, entry level associate I always had the worst shifts. Weekend nights. No time for friends and almost never got daytime shifts. Pay was never good for anyone. Management could be pushy at times and customers were awful a LOT of the time. Work is repetitive

If an employee is doing their best, do not nag them. Allow some wiggle room with payroll - being understaffed all day means there will be rails upon rails of returns at the end of the night and closing will take forever. Provide either better flexibility or better pay - offering neither clearly doesn't work.

Most fun, fast paced, and friendly work place :)

Current Employee - Seasonal Part Time in American Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Seasonal Part Time in American Fork, UT

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love the people I work with. Everyone is very helpful. It's fun and I am never bored.

Cons

Finding someone to cover shifts is a little difficult.

Try to compliment your employees more :)

Dept Key Lead

Current Employee - Key Lead in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Key Lead in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Gordmans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Associate discount, there dress code is okay you can wear Jeans other then that I cannot think of anything else that would be a plus to work for them.

Cons

Understaffed, Under Pay. No training its either sink or swim and a very high turn around. No appreciation or consideration from upper Management. HR and the District Manager could care less about ongoing situations they are only concerned about the store Manager. High expectations from a management team that just sits in the office and does nothing to help out. Absolutely no advancement with in this company. The only way to be in a higher position is to get hired for it off of the street. Pay is awful and raises come once a year that is not even worth speaking about.

Get out of your cubical. Interact with associates, train and help out when needed and take responsibility for something other then claiming the badge of STORE MANAGER.. Treat people with respect and a " Thank You!! Great Job" every now and then would go a long way. You as Store Managers should be training and developing associates to advance within the Company, Not degrading and throwing them away like they are trash.

Mis-managed company

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Gordmans full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Store staff was great. Building a "team culture" environment for the team.
    Started out as a "family" type atmosphere but no longer the culture.

Cons

Terrible pay for PT, FT,ASM
    Decisions from corp were so inconsistent.
    Too many gimmick marketing and would never stick to a program.
    Would solicit credit cards to customers yet do nothing for those loyal customers.
    Need more staffing.
    Better mgmt training program

Practice what you preach...
    Trust, Pride, Happiness is no longer the culture.

Unorganized and horrible management

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Sioux City, IA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Sioux City, IA

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (less than an year)

Pros

No pros what so ever

Cons

Management was very unorganized. Prices to high. Hours to work suck. Pay sucks.

Ask your employees about availability. Stop hiring more people so your part time and full time employees get paid what they are supposed and get more hours when they ask.