Gordmans

Updated December 11, 2014
2.4

Gordmans President, CEO, and Secretary Jeffrey J. Gordman
Jeffrey J. Gordman

Pros
  • Best benefit about working with Gordman's is the employee discount (in 10 reviews)

• The discount is good and when a clearance event is going on or an extra discount event happens its even better (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance, change implementation (in 7 reviews)

• Retail - as a part-time, entry level associate I always had the worst shifts (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Gordmans

Pros

Great pay good people easy work

Cons

Work hours 6 days a week no bonus

Be kind

I worked at 2 different stores for for a combined 2.5 years of service. Happiness depends on the store that you work at.

Former Employee - Store Associate
    Former Employee - Store Associate

I worked at Gordmans part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- for the most part the coworkers are amazing! lots of fun
    - when the store is operated correctly many prizes and contests for the employees
    - laid back dress code
    - no credit card goals
    - 20% associate discount

Cons

- part timers no more than 25 hours a week
    - drama drama drama in one of my stores management teams
    - not good at listening to associates and using their knowledge or expertise to help the store

Listen to your associates!! They are the ones working in that position every single day. If they are asking you for help or asking for ways to improve their job don't ignore them!! Look at the underlying issues.. maybe you are understaffed in that one spot, maybe the associates aren't being trained well enough. Don't just blow everything off. You are the manager it is your responsibility to help your associates, and ultimately improve productivity, efficiency, and boost morale.

Sinking ship.

Former Employee - Key Holder/Lead
    Former Employee - Key Holder/Lead

I worked at Gordmans full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most the people were very nice. Funny and easy to get a long with. The work was enjoyable. And honestly not that hard to do the job required.

Cons

Too much back stabbing. Too much drama. Too many high school kids. Not enough care to do a good job. Terrible hours. Closing nights don't expect to leave before 11. The store was always a mess. No one seemed to care to listen and follow the rules. They talked several times about promotion over the position I least held for 3 years. Never delivered. Or even start training.

It was good in the beginning...

Current Employee - Seasonal Associate in Fremont, NE
    Current Employee - Seasonal Associate in Fremont, NE

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I always loved shopping at Gordmans and even just walking around the store to see everything they had. I thought, I would always love to work there.

Yes the discounts are good, since we are able to use them with any other sale going on pretty much.

They encourage you to ask questions. If you don't know how to do something or need help with something, ASK. They will always help.

Cons

It's hard. I am a college student attending school on an athletic scholarship. I know they hired me as only seasonal but I am not able to work most weekends because I am traveling with my team. They were disappointed in that, but were willing to work around that. That has been good, but it still seems like every weekend they are calling me to come in. I'm in a completely different state half the time so I really can't come in.

Throughout the week I am busy with practice for my sport as well as school and maybe some extra credit school events that I can attend. I have gone in the DayForce system to put in my hours of availability, I've written it down for them, I have talked to them and told them when I am able to work but they still don't listen and then get mad because I don't come in on time.

Because I don't come in on time, they play favorites, giving me the most work for that night. They let everyone else go early when they finish their work but I still get stuck there til late until I'm finished with everything. For most people they would ask "Who still needs help?" Even if I say I do, the other people get to leave early. I don't think that is very fair.

Learn to listen and communicate with your employees. If something is wrong, talk to them about it. Don't always get mad because you guys don't listen.

Good second job

I worked at Gordmans part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working here. I liked my co workers and the discount. Scheduling was very flexible which was nice with my full time job. Some weeks I had no availability and some weeks I had a lot and it worked out.

Cons

The signs regarding price were confusing to customers. Hard to search for prices when tags fall off. Low quality clothes. Pay on the low side.

Raise the quality on some of the merchandise. Raise pay a bt.

Horrible experience, low pay,I hope I never have to work for an company like this again

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Gordmans

Pros

Mainly discount, and some of the employees are cool

Cons

There is no communication, the manager never have the e get ready when your scheduled to come into work if your scheduled for an morning shift, you have no idea what you should be doing because there is no direction or training, there isn't anyone to train you besides management and there all busy at least they say, if you ever have to call in, they won't rely the message so you go down in the booklet as an ncns which sucks, when you ask the manager whats your task is for the day she gets an attitude, lots of employees walk out leaving you all the work to do, I was assigned to do the jewelry department and it looked like a hot mess even though there was an specialist assigned to the department all she did was walk around her whole shift but she was an specialist that didn't make sense, the Manager sit in the office all day and when you ask for help she says "can I help you over the walkie" because she's too lazy to come out, register training is no training they just throw you on an lane and expect you to know what your doing nothing is fun and exciting about working at gordmans!!its just not an good place to work!!

Employees need training to do there job right, pay attention to your employees there is a lot of one's that are doing absolutely nothing just getting an free paycheck also learn how to communicate with your employees and make them feel comfortable to come and talk to you about any questions or concerns, and don't sit in the office all day, make yourself available not unavailable

good managers

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Gordmans part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

there were lots of chances to learn new things and change positions. You were always busy,Had very good managers who are willing to teach and are willing to jump in and help when needed. The managers are willing to work around your school schedule and was very easy to get hours if willing to work hard. employee discount is good too.

Cons

hard to get promoted unless willing to switch to other stores, no benefits for part timers

offer benefits for part timers and give more chances for promotions

Company Needs a Reality Check

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Guest Service
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Guest Service

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling and usually get days off that you request, co-workers are usually easy to get along with, 20% discount on top of clearance event discounts (if 50%, you get 70% off).

Cons

Human resource department is a joke and NEVER takes action on employee complaints and advice, management are hypocrites, company aren't "realists", meaning they come up with procedures and policies that aren't realistic and shows that they don't really know how things work on the internal store level, fashion merchandisers don't know what customers want half of the time, decided to open on Thanksgiving this year, but doesn't pay holiday pay or pay and a half, REQUIRED to work Black Friday (but sure that's most retail stores), feel the company doesn't value employees, and CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP (budget cuts are ridiculous and at some points there was only one cashier able to be scheduled on a Saturday. They expect things [freight, projects, etc] to get done, but never have enough employees able to be scheduled due to money).

It was hot and cold

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Guest Service in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Guest Service in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Gordmans (more than an year)

Pros

The discount was nice and it's a very easy job and honestly really hard to get fired, you could get away with being ridiculously lazy which isn't really a good thing. They have a very flexible schedule

Cons

Like I said you could be very lazy which makes it very frustrating for those of is who work hard. Corporate is a joke, they underpay everyone and have unrealistic demands and put too much pressure on the associates. Lots of highschool type drama and favoritism. Very frustrating

Decent first job

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Gordmans

Pros

Fellow sales associates are really nice, fun people. Some of the higher-ups are too. Hours are somewhat flexible

Cons

Retail - as a part-time, entry level associate I always had the worst shifts. Weekend nights. No time for friends and almost never got daytime shifts. Pay was never good for anyone. Management could be pushy at times and customers were awful a LOT of the time. Work is repetitive

If an employee is doing their best, do not nag them. Allow some wiggle room with payroll - being understaffed all day means there will be rails upon rails of returns at the end of the night and closing will take forever. Provide either better flexibility or better pay - offering neither clearly doesn't work.