Gordmans

Updated January 23, 2015
2.5

Gordmans President, CEO, and Secretary Jeffrey J. Gordman
Jeffrey J. Gordman

Pros
  • Best benefit about working with Gordman's is the employee discount (in 10 reviews)

• The discount is good and when a clearance event is going on or an extra discount event happens its even better (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance, change implementation (in 7 reviews)

• Retail - as a part-time, entry level associate I always had the worst shifts (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Guest Services in Woodbury, MN
    Current Employee - Guest Services in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You received a discount. You get to see every item.

Cons

Hours, pay, breaks, communication between shifts or managers

Guest service

Current Employee - Guest Service Associate Hired Seasonal in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Guest Service Associate Hired Seasonal in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Fun environment

Cons

Understaffed on holidays
    Schedule mess ups

Sales Floor Associate

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Valparaiso, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Valparaiso, IN

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers, Great managers, Flexible hours, Just an over all great environment.

Cons

Wish it paid more per hour.

I've been at Gordmans for over a year, i love my job but the store overall needs improvement.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Gordmans

Pros

Some pros of working at gordmans-
    -I've meet some the best people here. Very nice and caring.
    -flexible hours
    -I love my employee discount. I shop here ALOT.

Cons

Some con's of working at Gordmans would be
    -managers need to communicate with other managers and employees better. Sometimes there can be a lot of confusion.
    -some of the employees are not trained correctly so they cannot prefer their job right.
    -Some "lod" or managers have "favorites". They will be treated better then others.
    -a lot of drama and rumors started between employee's

My advice to management would be to have better communication and be more involved with the employees.

It's cool

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Guest Service in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Guest Service in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people
    20% discount
    Fun place to work most of the time

Cons

Schedule conflict
    (Biggest problem)
    New store
    High turnover rate

Not bad

I have been working at Gordmans

Pros

It is fairly new and is still trying to find an identity, giving it a chance for new positions to be created.

Cons

there is a gap from loss prevention lead to dlpm, making it difficult to get promoted. Communication is sometimes misunderstood due to changing policies over and over

Overall a good experience.

I worked at Gordmans full-time

Pros

Some of the team members were very compassionate about the work and excited to be there. Certain team members were always willing to go the extra mile to help.

Cons

Direction from corporate was confusing and extremely unorganized. This created more work at the store level with rarely any additional payroll.

Get the left hand and right hand at the corporate level on the same page working for the same goals consistently.

Not bad

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in East Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in East Peoria, IL

I have been working at Gordmans

Pros

Friendly staff.
    Good customer base, hardly ever any complaints of upset guests.
     20% discount offered to all employees.
     Get recognized for signing up 75% or more guests for the G-Rewards program.
    Get recognized for getting guests to apply for credit cards, if they're approved.
    Always have something to do.
    15 minute breaks every 2 hours of work.

Cons

Poor training of new employees, basically you are expected to learn as you go.
    Hiring of high school students that have never had a job and give them more hours than adult employees with experience who have bills to pay and families to feed.
    The schedule is never posted on time. Its suppose go up on Thursday and sometimes it won't be posted until Saturday night and the new week begins on Sunday.
    Your schedule will never be structured. Its flexible hours, so you will have a different schedule every week.
    Managers aren't always aware of the proper procedures to carry out on certain tasks and also they don't communicate very well with each other because each one of them has a different way of telling you how to do things. If a manager isn't educated on the proper procedure and you ask them how to do something they may tell you how to do it the wrong way and there can be consequences, like your drawer coming up short, and you will be held responsible for it by the company.

Give better training to new employees. For example, demonstrating how to do things, rather than explaining it briefly in a 2 hour session.

Have the schedule posted on time.

Consider giving more hours to adult employees with bills to pay and mouths to feed instead of giving a pretty fair amount of hours to 16 year old high school students, who complain they have to work so much.

Please make sure that ALL managers are aware of the appropriate procedures on how to carry out new tasks. Also I would suggest communicating with each other more often about the correct way to carry out tasks so that employees aren't told how to do something 2 or 3 different ways.

Suggest to corporate that the store needs to be provided with different bags. The bags that are currently in use get stuck together and tear easily causing quite a few of them to be thrown away, which in turn costs the company more money than it probably would cost to invest in bags made of different material.

Save, raise or even take out a loan and discuss with corporate you need to build bigger checkout counters. They would provide the customer and cashier more space to place and ring up items. Also, if this were to ever take place, I would hope the designed the counters in a way that the customers are able to pick up their own bags without having to wait for the cashier to hand them their bags or reaching over the counter to get them. This would save more time and there would be less paid merchandise left at the store.

Great

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Gordmans

Pros

Great pay good people easy work

Cons

Work hours 6 days a week no bonus

Be kind

I worked at 2 different stores for for a combined 2.5 years of service. Happiness depends on the store that you work at.

Former Employee - Store Associate
    Former Employee - Store Associate

I worked at Gordmans part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- for the most part the coworkers are amazing! lots of fun
    - when the store is operated correctly many prizes and contests for the employees
    - laid back dress code
    - no credit card goals
    - 20% associate discount

Cons

- part timers no more than 25 hours a week
    - drama drama drama in one of my stores management teams
    - not good at listening to associates and using their knowledge or expertise to help the store

Listen to your associates!! They are the ones working in that position every single day. If they are asking you for help or asking for ways to improve their job don't ignore them!! Look at the underlying issues.. maybe you are understaffed in that one spot, maybe the associates aren't being trained well enough. Don't just blow everything off. You are the manager it is your responsibility to help your associates, and ultimately improve productivity, efficiency, and boost morale.