Gordmans

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gordmans President, CEO, and Secretary Jeffrey J. Gordman

Jeffrey J. Gordman

Pros:
  • "employee discount, manager and assistant manager are good people"
    in 4 reviews
  • "You get a 20% discount if you work there and you learn a lot about retail marketing"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance, change implementation"
    in 7 reviews
  • "My biggest complaint is the scheduling, there is no work-life balance AT ALL"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best company I have ever worked for.

Processing Manager (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsAmazing culture, high emphasis on work/life balance, lots of room for growth, executives are open and willing to talk with employees on every level, great pay/benefits

ConsNone - honestly nothing bad that I could say.

Friendly welcoming place to work

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Independence, MO

ProsEmployee discounts, Was close to my house, and fun and clean enivorment.

ConsSemi late hours, Low pay rate, and if not full time don't work many hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a better new employee program

Fun work, potential to move up within the company

Sioux Falls, SD

Prosworking independently without dealing with micromanaging, work in a fun store with products that appeal to you, and assisting guest,

Conslack in training, not provided with enough info in orientation

Advice to Senior Managementmore training would make for a stronger team

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay summer job

Ogden, UT

ProsGreat place to work! Everyone it friendly

ConsNot very challenging for me (college student) and not much movement up

Outstanding company to work for with great growth opportunity

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThe company is experiencing incredible growth. When many companies fail to support their fast growth, Gordmans has taken great steps toward making sure the growth is careful and controlled. They have hired executives from competitors to bring a wide range of experience and expertise.

ConsWhen compared to other retailers, I would rate Gordmans at the lower end of the pay scale. If they want quality managers to stay, they will need to develop a better compensation package. They offer no stock ownership, which in a period of growth would be a valuable offering and incentive to managers.

Very Great place to work

Mankato, MN

ProsGreat Hours: im part-time and im getting almost 40 hours a week, great management very easy to get along with.

ConsPay is poor, i've worked there 2 years seasonal, and now 2 years part-time only got one raise and im one of the better employees that works there. not firing people who need to get fired cause they dont do any work or they dont show up multiple times let the mangers fire when need and not have to contact corporate before they can fire, or get 3 write ups.

It is a wonderful job. The managers are very kind and are great with working around my available schedule.

Green Bay, WI

ProsAble to move up in positions, Good raise opportunities

ConsSome managers seem to create very confusing schedules, hours are cut dramatically after the holidays. I went from 35+ to 5 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to care about employees more, to give more than a 2 or 3 hour shift. If someone is obviously doing an outstanding job and going above & beyond, they should receive some sort of praise for that.

Stressful at first bit it gets easier later.

Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsThe managers are nice and the schedule can be flexible you will have lots of opportunities to make extra money (extra hours, credit card sign ups) and if you do your job well then you have the chance to move up in this company

ConsThere are always issues with scheduling, registers, customers. The worst part is that gordmans is always trying new things and they roll them out before testing everything and the employees have to suffer when things don't work and the customers are mad.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your lower lower level employees more instead of talking to just the managers because they will tell you everything is perfect when it is not.

Almost everything they said it would be.

ProsIf you work hard and deliver results and can relocate they opportunities are really endless. They truly care about there associates, but does depend on the management at each location. Corporate holds development days several times a year at there corporate office to help better the best or high potential members of management. They spend lots of time trying to help train associates better. They really listen and value new ideas. They truly want every guest and associate to enjoy there time at Gordmans! It's refreshing to see things from the corporate level where they are trying to implement all the tools for success.

ConsThe training can be overwhelming, but can just as soon as you learn a new process they either change it or make two others. I understand they are growing so fast but test ideas or methods a little longer before rolling out. The hours needed to work for real success is insane. It's unfortunate they don't realize what it takes to be a successful store. A few potential associates do get over looked if they don't match 100% what they are looking for which is sad. Extremely different upper managers depending on location. The amount of freight and tasks are crazy. The presentation procedures is 100 pages long and is always changing so others get frustrated easy because of all the company changes. Just understand the company is awesome but they are growing so fast that they are trying to update everything to be able to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the tools corporate gives ( g-cards, scratch offs, and personal encouragement) and keep a positive attitude and your team will be much better off.

good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood salary, organized, team driven

Conslong hours, could be stressful at times

Advice to Senior Managementno advice, I always had a great management team.

Worked for Gordmans? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gordmans reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gordmans CEO Jeffrey J. Gordman. All 81 reviews posted anonymously by Gordmans employees.