Gordmans

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gordmans President, CEO, and Secretary Jeffrey J. Gordman

Jeffrey J. Gordman

Pros:
  • "employee discount, manager and assistant manager are good people"
    in 4 reviews
  • "You get a 20% discount if you work there and you learn a lot about retail marketing"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance, change implementation"
    in 7 reviews
  • "My biggest complaint is the scheduling, there is no work-life balance AT ALL"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Still learning about "big retail", not yet a "JC Penney"

Cashier, Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Avon, IN

I worked at Gordmans part-time for more than a year

Prosmost co workers were pleasant, most of management was nice, not a tense atmosphere

Conssome management was difficult to work with, doesn't allow back-stock so you're forced to spend hours just trying to get merchandise out, your job title isn't what you will be doing, you will be doing a little bit of everything, promotions don't go to those who deserve it, don't work hard and think you'll get that "lead" position - they will just hire someone else for it

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to those co workers who, although aren't the loudest, work the hardest and fastest. Don't get uptight about certain merchandise presentations if it isn't violating corporates layout

Eh.

Guest Service Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gordmans part-time for less than a year

ProsI like the flexible hours and managers are usually very accommodating of second jobs. Overall a fun company to work for.

ConsSome managers do play favorites with employees and it's very noticeable to other employees. They also ask for suggestions on how to make things better, but never implement any of the suggestions. Communication between management and departments is practically non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a lot more communication. Part time associates in the departments have no idea what's going on if they're off for more than a day.

Its ok part time job

Cashier, Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Minot, ND

I have been working at Gordmans part-time for less than a year

Prosemployee discount, manager and assistant manager are good people

Conssome supervisors on a real power kick, dont feel the corp cares much for their employees due to cut off hours leaving people with loss of income during slow periods, i feel the company penny pinches giving people a lunch and only one 15 min break if putting in 7.5 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think there stuck between a rock and a hard place. Caring people stuck between the employees and a corporate headquarters who doesnt care about employees. Good Luck

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay away unless you really need the job.

Area Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gordmans full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe Distribution Center has casual work environment.

ConsMost people with real skills work here until they get a promotion and then they find a better job somewhere else, creating "brain drain" within the company.

While there are a few good managers, many lack the basic communication, planning, and people skills required to effectively do their jobs. Communication within and between most departments is very poor.

You see a lot of "you get what you pay for" with the employees. Due to the low pay and poor benefits most people treat this as a disposable job and just do not care, making those people that do care jobs more difficult.

A big part of this problem lies within the HR and Loss Prevention departments. Lots of penny pinching and oppressive rules wear the employees out and make for a horrible work environment:

They give people a lunch and only 1 break during their shift (you have to work 8+ hours to get your 2nd break). When there is no overtime, they make people leave at around 7 hours and 45 minutes just so they don't have to pay employees for taking a second break. Who does that?

They make employees wait until they walk all the way across the warehouse to punch in at the time clock closest to their work area. It is a big warehouse and they do not want to pay employees to walk from the door to their area. This lets you know just how little they value *your* time.

Loss Prevention keeps track of how much time people spend in the bathrooms.

If you forget your badge, they charge you to use a temporary badge for the day.

These are only a few of the problems, but all of these things add up to make for a work environment where most employees just do not care about their jobs. Why would they when the company obviously does not care about them?

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the DC is going to thrive and live up to its potential, start treating your employees with some respect and stop making them feel like second class citizens. You really do get what you pay for. Start paying more and offer insurance without the high deductible to attract better employees. Stop penny pinching and creating rules that drag everyone down to the point where they do not care about their jobs. Make it a place where people want to come to work, not just do their time and collect a paycheck.

If you are interested in helping people find the perfect outfit this will be the job for you!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Thornton, CO

I have been working at Gordmans part-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou get a 20% discount if you work there and you learn a lot about retail marketing.

ConsYou have to more weedends then not!

Advice to Senior ManagementMore chairs for customers to take a breather on.

Ok at best

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Gordmans full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMission and Values, the people

Conswork life balance, change implementation

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your store teams. Gordmans is NOT Kohls

Horrible Management

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Nampa, ID

I worked at Gordmans part-time for more than a year

ProsFun people to work with and a decent discount.

ConsHorrible communication between management and employees. Could be a decent place to work but when things change with how things are run weekly and the employees are the last to hear about it, it becomes a frustrating environment to work in. Hours are also based seasonally so unless its around the holiday the hours get cut a lot. Had different leads in each department constantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave daily meetings explaining any changes that might be going on. The very rare "take 5" meetings never really went over much. And on top of a meeting or even instead of make daily notes for all employees and have them readily posted. Your employees are the backbone and they need to all know whats going on in the company or any changes to how things work as soon as possible in order for them to function properly and do a good job. The CEO really needs to pay more attention to how his stores are actually run. Surprise visits do nothing because the managers make everything look like its in order but its not.

It has been challenging working for this company and I have had to persevere.

Freight Handler/Machine Operator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gordmans full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt is a job with benefits.

ConsHigh employee turnover rate. Lack of communication from above and between various departments. Favoritism of certain employees. Inordinate amount of Dysfunctional equipment. Can have some frustrating days, weeks and months.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and value them and their opinions.

easy work enviorment

Omaha, NE

I have been working at Gordmans full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people I work with are hard working and easy to work with.

ConsThe company lacks solid communication. The departments have a difficult time communicating between them selves.

Best company I have ever worked for.

Processing Manager (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Gordmans full-time for less than a year

ProsAmazing culture, high emphasis on work/life balance, lots of room for growth, executives are open and willing to talk with employees on every level, great pay/benefits

ConsNone - honestly nothing bad that I could say.

Worked for Gordmans? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gordmans reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gordmans CEO Jeffrey J. Gordman. All 74 reviews posted anonymously by Gordmans employees.