Gordmans

Updated December 11, 2014
2.4

Gordmans President, CEO, and Secretary Jeffrey J. Gordman
Jeffrey J. Gordman

Pros
  • Best benefit about working with Gordman's is the employee discount (in 10 reviews)

• The discount is good and when a clearance event is going on or an extra discount event happens its even better (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance, change implementation (in 7 reviews)

• Retail - as a part-time, entry level associate I always had the worst shifts (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Systems Engineer

I worked at Gordmans full-time

Pros

The building was nice, free coffee, good location for the corporate office, they pay you.

Cons

They tend to buy products as solutions rather than look for a real solution to a problem, in addition they don't have any money to spend, yet because they don't have any money to spend they use this as an excuse for not being able to build good solutions. New idea's are not wanted here, neither is practical advice. If your looking to grow your career, this is not the place for you.

An okay place to start

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Mankato, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Mankato, MN

I worked at Gordmans part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly employees, good deals on merchandise

Cons

Career development, hours are based on amount of money allowed by corporate per week. I needed to have a second job because the hours were not predictable.

Iffy...

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Minot, ND
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Minot, ND

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employee discount. It can be a fun place to work when you are not short handed. Everyone seems to get along really well.

Cons

Hours are constantly being cut; employees are leaving because it is so stressful to work there. There is no reason we should be at the store until midnight on the weekends. The schedule only comes out 4-5 days in advance making it very stressful to have to work around another job.

Pay more attention to what is going on at each of your stores. Hours keep getting cut and we are constantly short staffed because our payroll is "limited". There is no way that we are not reaching our goals when we are constantly busy and a lot of times the #1 store in the company. The schedules need to be done at least 2 weeks in advance and not 4-5 days.

Too much negativity in the store!

Former Employee - Guest Services Associate in Clarksville, IN
    Former Employee - Guest Services Associate in Clarksville, IN

I worked at Gordmans part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work with flexible scheduling.Good discounts

Cons

There are no consequences at all for those that do no call no shows, harassment of other employees, profanity used on management or employees running off a lot of the good workers and management not doing anything about it. I'm sure all the stores aren't like this one but this one definitely has a lot of problems. Gordmans used to be my absolute favorite store until i worked here and dealt with too much harassment that was not dealt with accordingly.

When an employee comes to you with a problem with another employee, do something about it rather than sweeping it under the rug causing good employees to quit.

Poor, but need the money.

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee Discount, Friendly Associates. As a shopper, there is cute merchandise.

Cons

.Very little training, was not trained for my department. Was thrown on register with no one to help me.
    .Poor management-very rude and not organized
    .Staying up to an hour after close-sometimes longer
    .Management refused to put my college schedule into the system because I do not have their app. Still scheduled during classes.
    .Always Understaffed.
    . Was told a promotion was available, a bunch of people applied, no promotions were given.

Start training your employees and actually following through with your promotions. If an employee brings an important schedule adjustment in to you, put it in the system... we do not get paid to do your job! Follow through with your promotions and be friendlier when people call in,make mistakes and ask questions. Do not hang up on employees!
    Get the appropriate amount of walkie-talkies for your employees. I should not get in trouble for not responding to a call when I am unable to have a walkie.

Be more organized, do not take people away from their assigned departments.

Good company, keeps close ties to corporate offices.

Former Employee - Merchandising Manager
    Former Employee - Merchandising Manager

I worked at Gordmans full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a fast paced environment that offers room for you to contribute your own ideas, yet there is a corporate directive for most store operations.

Cons

Working in a position that offers paid holidays does not mean that you are allowed to take the day off!

You should consider giving folks their paid holiday as time off, not requiring that they work the day with time and a half or even double pay.

Gordmans was good

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Steady work schedule, lots of hours, simple instructions to do your job

Cons

sometimes other workers will call-in, leaving you to pick up their shift

Jeff gordman wS fired

Current Employee - Dhead Gm
    Current Employee - Dhead Gm

I have been working at Gordmans full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The ability to figure out anyone with functional braincells is working ANYwhere else in the world. Hookers have greater benefits and representation

Cons

Absolutely everything. Hour suck Prices suck. Insurance sucks. Target sucks. All leadership in this company has been FIRED by real companies.

Suicide is painless and of great benefits to your subordinates

Fun Friendly enviroment to work.

Former Employee - Cashier in Independence, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Independence, MO

I worked at Gordmans part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Best benefit about working with Gordman's is the employee discount.

Cons

When I was working with Gordman's I didn't find any cons really with the company. No late nights. Working weekends can be a bummer sometimes but thats work.

Doing a great job.

I am a full-time lead.

I have been working at Gordmans

Pros

If you are part time the schedule can be flexible. If there are openings it is pretty easy to get and interview and a job.

Cons

No one on any level of the company is on the same page. Everyone at a store level is underpaid! There is no consistency and a lot of bad attitudes. Payroll is scarce.

Be more clear about what is going on within the store and company as a whole. There is a lot of miscommunication.