Gordon Document Products

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
3.9

John Gordon

New sales management and new sales training makes it an easy pleasurable experience working here.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Gordon Document Products full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good upper management
    Great colleague support system
    Assigned territories
    State of the art demonstration showroom
    Good communication with service and install department

Cons

Interview process was long and thorough but well worth it
    Working with finance is sometimes difficult but it always gets done in the end
    Website is a little dated could be more intuitive

The only thing I would advise is on Tuesdays when we are all in house is that it is made a casual dress day

Dispute of negative review by OVERWEIGHT

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Gordon Document Products as a contractor

Pros

GREAT health and wellness program in progress. Company located near Chattahoochee River trails and provides personal trainer program with briefings on nutrition and excise, plus time on the trails to develop fitness program.
    This moral booster overcomes all the complaints about management expecting employees to work hard and maybe miss lunch occasionally

Cons

Good employer who expects superior performance, and doesn't understand employees who are lazy.

Keep the wellness program going. Good for moral and will cut health care costs and grief for employees.

Micro management at it's worst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

I worked at Gordon Document Products full-time

Pros

Easy to get hired with no experience. Besides the owner I genuinely loved my co-workers at the time. The products at the time covered a large portion of the market share.

Cons

Owner can't get out of his own way. Ultimately he is out of touch with how to manage people. He expects life-long loyalty by merely employing people. He treats people as if they always owe him a favor and that making the company successful should be their only goal in life. He has GPS locators on all of his sales team and questions every little move they make. He constantly meddles and actually makes his team less productive. One of my former co-workers got a letter from his lawyer threatening legal action if he gave a negative review on glassdoor.com. That employee didn't even know what glassdoor.com was. I even witnessed him screaming at his wife, who works there, while in a meeting. It was an extremely uncomfortable work environment. Some of these rave reviews are almost farcical in nature. I would seriously question the legitimacy of their claims.

Let someone take over the management of the overall business. Loyalty is earned by mutual trust and respect. No one of value will stay unless they are treated like professionals and it will continue to be a revolving door.

Great Employer

Former Employee - Technician in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Technician in Marietta, GA

I worked at Gordon Document Products part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have been working on and off with GDP for years now. Wonderful coworkers, great environment, and awesome family like feel. I would suggest GDP to anyone seeking a career full or part time!

Cons

The work can seem never ending, but if you stay on top of it you can get things done in a timely fashion.

Clear Direction!

My experience at Gordon Document Products has been an A+, 100% High Satisfaction.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Gordon Document Products

Pros

The company has an excellent culture & friendly atmosphere which trickles down from the very top. The owner, Mr. John Gordon is extremely fair, flexible, honest, and always available. I have always enjoyed my time working with GDP & Mr. Gordon as my experience here has greatly benefited my professional career experience. I have over eight years as a General Manager, having more than 25 employees report to me, and I truly admire Mr. Gordon's leadership abilities.

Cons

Mr. Gordon is very honest--sometimes to a fault. I personally believe that he may trust people with more credit than they deserve because I have witnessed several other employees who have tried taking advantage of him. I have observed those sample employees not being self-motivated, but instead being extremely lazy and dishonest.

Continue to hold employees to their job description, and continue to lead by example. Mr. Gordon has the greatest integrity that I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing, and any employee who is willing to work hard & enjoys working for a wonderful employer, then I would recommend anyone work here!

Work your butt off and get PAID!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Gordon Document Products full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good oppty to make some good money and help businesses with their current and future needs. Unlike some of the non professionals that just walk in off the street with a proposal in hand for their one size fits all special of the week, GDP enforces a needs analysis policy to show the customer that we customer tailor a system to their needs. GDP hired a new sales MGR who subscribes to this theory and knows how to sell on the up and up.Good spiffs. The Techs are what keep the customers happy. Great techs, great tech service mgr and great tech field mgr. The techs diagnose the problem right the first time, get the parts needed to fix the problem right the first time, and get the job done quickly. The customers appreciate that. And so does the sales force. The owner's wife caters lunch for late morning/early afternoon demonstrations and that is a hit with customers. Personal touch. The woman is pure class, grace and poise.

Cons

Company needs a dedicated IT staff that will work their butts off instead of sitting around and complaining. This is a demanding position and is not for every one.

Keep the spiffs/incentives in place; keep a well balanced inventory/mixture of all lines with different features. Let the sales staff flow and just sit back and watch the magic happen.

Great Place To Work.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Gordon Document Products full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is an excellent place to work, with a great deal of opportunity for advancement and earnings. The executive management is fair and easy to work with, always expressing interest in the ideas and feedback of staff members, and they take care of their employees with nice benefits, bonuses & reimbursements. This company is professional in all manners of appearances and behaviors, and I appreciate the quality of character held by Management and staff alike.

Cons

There is a lot of unsupervised work, so for people that are not self-disciplined or self-motivated, it is unlikely they will get much done or reach their true potential. This is not a place of employment for those that need to be micro managed.

Post and advise staff of possible advancements and provide incentives for staff to aim higher.

Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Gordon Document Products full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As an employee of Gordon Document Products going on 4 years my experience here has been a positive one. It is a great place if you're self motivated, a hard worker and don't require a lot of supervision. The culture here is up beat and the management team will supply you with all the tools you need to be successful. The owner will personally go on sales calls with you to help close deals. The company has sent me to all the manufacturer's training programs to enhance my sales skills. The commission pay is very fast compared to most sales jobs I've had in the past.

Cons

It can seems like your being micro managed if you're not meeting the minimum company expectations.

I would like to see a more lucrative plan for tenured sales reps.

Anywhere is better than GDP.

I worked at Gordon Document Products full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many of the employee's are great. Service team knows what they are doing and works hard to keep customers. Great place to learn what not to do.

Cons

The owner is the reason this company is not performing as well as it should. He will micro-manage everything. Promotions are available because turnover is high. New sales reps are not allowed to work close to home. The owner will refuse to pay agreed commissions. Customers are not always treated fairly.

Management needs to find a way to work around the owner.

My experience at GDP has been a very positive one.

Current Employee - Sales Representative/AE in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative/AE in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Gordon Document Products full-time (less than a year)

Pros

As a relative newcomer to outside sales, I found the management team to be extremely supportive and patient.

Training is top-notch. I’ve had the opportunity to attend week-long, hands-on training at manufacturers’ facilities.

The company has invested in customized selling programs from top industry consultants.

It is a positive work environment. In the increasing world of cubicles and workstations, all Sales Reps/Account Executives have their own offices.

The breakroom is fully-stocked on an honor system. I think that speaks to the integrity that runs through the company.

The owner is extremely committed to the community through various non-profit entities as well as contributions to many of our non-profit customer-partners.

The service team is second to none in Atlanta. Our Service Manager has 30+ years of industry experience and never hesitates to roll up his sleeves to help.

With over a quarter-million dollars in existing inventory combined with a lucrative compensation plan, GDP is a great place to work.

Cons

However, GDP is not for everyone. Management rewards those who are self-motivated.

Those who succeed understand the expectations. You’re truly your own boss.

Continue to hire top-tier talent. If you are intelligent, poised and a hard-worker, GDP provides all the tools for you to succeed. The rest is up to you!