Gordon Food Service Reviews

1. Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Gordon Food Service

Pros

Very nice people, great place to work. Cool boss.

Cons

None yet, but only have been there a few months.

So far, so good.

2. Great Place to Start a Career!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you can get into the company, they highly encourage growth through personal development and lofty goal setting. GFS truly values their employees and treats them well through profit sharing, events, and competitive pay. After you a have worked there for a year the company profit shares a significant amount directly into your 401k on top of their match and bonus if you are salaried. Because of this they challenge their employees to work hard, which is to be expected. There are many opportunities for advancement especially in the coming years due to the expansion and growth of the company.

Cons

As mentioned before, they often place lofty goals and objectives that can sometimes interfere with work-life balance, but many positions in the head office have a season or two that will be busier than others. Depending on the area that your position is in, some departments have better training programs than others. Expect to be thrown into a position and have a lot expected of you in your first few months... "Trial by Fire!"

Keep doing what you are doing!

3. Wonderful company to work for!

Former Intern - Intern in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Intern - Intern in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Gordon Food Service as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Really cares about their employees- that is clear from the first day. Excellent benefits and treat all employees on the same level. High level management is very involved. Culture and people are great- very family friendly and community type environment. This is a company that really sticks to their values and shows them through the work. Flexible work hours!

Cons

Very hard to think of cons- if any, could improve on diversity

Satisfied with management- they are doing something right with the group they are experiencing

Great company

Former Employee - Data in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Data in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Gordon Food Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

positive Christian message if that's your thing. Great teamembers and coworkers.

Cons

Salary struggles. Male dominated company. Little vision for the future is shared with associates.

Share your knowledge! Prepare for the next generation.

6. Lowering wages

Former Employee - Commercial Sales Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Commercial Sales Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Gordon Food Service full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Used to have good benefits, but not the case any longer.

Cons

GFS deployed a compensation plan several years ago to get the wages down on the food service sales side. Based on the salaries reported here they have succeeded. The comp plan is designed to keep the reps wages suppressed to in their words "keep them hungry".

Senior managers are cliquey and won't listen anyway.

Not The Best Long Term Employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am a current employee holding a notable position with the company. I have been spending a lot of time trying to think of pros however, have very few.
    The profit sharing and 401k matching are decent

Cons

- The work / life balance is almost non existent for some teams, my team included.
    - Many of the individuals in leadership are mediocre in their performance and intelligence.
    - There is very little diversity within the company.
    - If working above and beyond your positions requirements consistently you will never receive more than a pat on the back and a verbal "Good Job"
    - It is very difficult to move vertically within the company. You will find that the success stories of employees moving vertically and finding success are outliers.
    - Many individuals make a number of lateral moves in order to feel like they are making forward progress within the company (This can be positive however, at GFS rarely results in vertical movement down the road).
    - Compensation tends to be about 20% below market averages.
        * Poor work / life balance and non competitive compensation has resulted in many of our most talented employees seeking and taking advantage of external opportunities.
    - There is little to no professional development, which creates a lot of difficulty for employees seeking more from their careers.
    - GFS can be a great stepping stone however, it is rare that ones experience will be excellent.
         * I would recommend only as a resume builder and stepping stone to a better company.

- The organization needs to value and invest in their talent far more than they currently do.
    - Compensation needs to be more competitive to appeal to external candidates and hold onto the talented individuals that often leave the company.
       * Though a number of people have a lengthy tenure at GFS, many of the employees that leave are the ones that can affect positive change and growth for the company.

8. A year in and going strong

Current Employee - Selector in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Selector in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I started at GFS's new Freezer building as a selector. I have had a few crappy jobs before and I think that those have allowed me to really appreciate my job at GFS so far. My supervisor and team leads are all great to work with. They all care about their employees and just about everyone I work with is great.

Cons

Scheduling can be difficult sometimes, especially since seniority is next to god at this building. You have to put your time in to really get time off and vacation that you want.

Communication, like almost all other business' communication always needs improving.

9. A very employee oriented company.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Gordon Food Service part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everybody is very friendly and helpful, the company genuinely cares about their employees and treat them very well as if they are family. Many services are offered to employees for free. Also they just got a brand new beautiful coorporate headquarters.

Cons

I felt the pay grade was low for where it maybe should be, but this is made up with by bonuses and profit sharing.

10. Best Company Ever

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company values every person they employ. Pay for performance and excellent time off package.

Cons

None - I wake up every morning and look forward to going into work. I love the fact that I feel like I make a difference in the company everyday!

Good job security

Former Employee - Analyst in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Analyst in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Gordon Food Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty positive culture. They are growing. New building is nice. Some career mobility. Virtually impossible to get fired. Good work life balance.

Cons

Raises are conservative. Bit of the good old boys mentality. Management tends to hand pick who gets opportunities.

Need to make hiring process more fair and transparent.

Gordon Food Service Photos