Gordon Food Service

Gordon Food Service Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Gordon Food Service CEO Jim Gordon

Jim Gordon

Pros
  • The Profit Sharing is awesome with the company matching up to 6% of your earnings put in each year(in 22 reviews)

• Good values, great benefits and overall good family to work for(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • hour work week (50 hours required year round)(in 9 reviews)

• Work/life balance is nonexistent(in 5 reviews)

LOVE working here!!!

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) Tallmadge, OH

ProsThe management is very supportive of my desire to learn new things, and I have the chance to learn new things daily. They let me learn as many things as I possibly can in a day and they let me take the lead of many things.

ConsThere are no full time positions, and it is very hard to move up in the company as there are not many positions available as I have 11 years of retail management experience. Pay could be a little higher for experienced retail workers

Advice to Senior Managementmake a certain number of full time positions per store

Good job security

Analyst (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsPretty positive culture. They are growing. New building is nice. Some career mobility. Virtually impossible to get fired. Good work life balance.

ConsRaises are conservative. Bit of the good old boys mentality. Management tends to hand pick who gets opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to make hiring process more fair and transparent.

Store Manager

ProsThey have strong values shared throughout the company.

ConsGrowing too quickly. Company currently is not ready to go national. But it seems like they are trying.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate your employees appropriately.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long term employee

ProsFamily run, ok benefits, opportunity to develop and grow with the company. A lot of opportunities.

ConsEverything is based in Grand Rapids, if you can't move your opportunities to grow are extremely limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the boys club's, old school thinking, and be there done that attitude. We won't diversify appropriately if you don't.

GFS employees live the cornerstone values

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Kenosha, WI

ProsAt every level, GFS has excellent benefits and incentives for their employees. Profit sharing is very generous when any employee meets their personal goals. Sales people are provided with a vehicle and gas card which helps compensate for lots of driving involved in an outside sales role.

ConsMentoring program for outside sales associates needs improvement. Some mentors come off similar to fraternity brothers hazing pledges who are rushing to join the fraternity. Continuity is lacking due to working with many different mentors with different teaching styles.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake some changes to the sales associate training program

Great culture, so so pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture, very up beat and positive

ConsLow pay for positions. Use culture as leverage instead of competitive wages.

Advice to Senior Managementpay to retain employees

Solid company with a long track record of growth.

ProsBenefits, passion for excellence, programs for developing employees personally and professionally, opportunity for advancement, commitment to customers.....are all top notch.

ConsSometimes Gordon Food Service operates on very tight budgets, which means employees have to pick up the slack and put in a little extra work to get the job done.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to the company values, and make sure you keep PEOPLE as the most important asset.

Gfs review

Selctor (Current Employee) Springfield, OH

ProsGood hourly pay, bonus checks , great benefits like health issurnace and 401k lots of opertunitys to move up

ConsIt's very physical and fast pace not meant for everyone long workdays

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp get employees where they wanna be

Marketing Analyst

Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsVery professional but they make you feel comfortable.

ConsIt is quite difficult to move around internally

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide employees with more leadership opportunities

The most generous place to work

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe management shares goals and gives training to attain the goals. They understand the principle that if people are treated well, they will respond positively.

ConsReasonable pay with some bonus potential, yet the bonus objectives are somewhat unattainable as they are based on sales projections derived from a conglomerate of all stores and not on area specific goals.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Gordon Food Service? Contribute to the Community!