Gordon Food Service Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
3.3

Gordon Food Service CEO Jim Gordon
Jim Gordon

Pros
  • The Profit Sharing is awesome with the company matching up to 6% of your earnings put in each year (in 23 reviews)

• Good values, great benefits and overall good family to work for (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • hour work week (50 hours required year round) (in 9 reviews)

• Work/life balance is nonexistent (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Custodial

Current Employee - Custodian in Wyoming, MI
    Current Employee - Custodian in Wyoming, MI

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Keeps you busy, great pay, benefits, what else can you ask for?

Cons

none that I can list here so far.

great company

Current Employee - Stocker
    Current Employee - Stocker

I have been working at Gordon Food Service part-time (more than an year)

Pros

this is a family oriented type workplace, reviews with bonuses every 6 months and the opportunity for advancement if you want it.
    company matched 401k up to a certain amount and all employees get 10% off all of their purchases including sale and clearance items.

Cons

customer service is job number 1 so finishing things can take awhile because you are constantly interrupted. there are no full time positions unless you are in management thanks to the ACA and they pay minimum wage to start unless you have previous experience and even then it's only slightly more.

Corporate needs to give the store managers more decision making for their stores and they need to pay better and have some full time positions that aren't management

Great Company!

Current Employee - Packer in Brighton, MI
    Current Employee - Packer in Brighton, MI

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They take care of you! Customers and family are GFS's number 1 priority. Good pay, even better benefits!

Cons

There are really no cons. If you can't handle a lot of work, this job probably isn't right for you.

Keep up the good work.

Growth is becoming more important than satisfied Customers and Employees

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Profit Sharing is nice. 401k is decent. Company is growing. Not as great as the rumors make GFS sound.

Cons

Management is only focused on growth now, rather than penetrating existing markets. Management likes to spend money, and usually on the wrong things. They always prefer to purchase a solution than build something in-house. In IT, this means we are left to pick up the pieces and make the purchase solution work with our current solutions and technologies. Very little time is allowed for thorough analysis.

SLOW DOWN. Not everything needs to be done now. Take an iterative approach to every project. It might extend the length of the project, but the change will be gradual and the solution is sure to be better.

Working for Gordon Food Service was a great experience!

Current Employee - Associate in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Associate in Madison, WI

I have been working at Gordon Food Service part-time (more than an year)

Pros

All of the employees are very friendly. Also, everyone get's quarterly bonuses based on performance, even the part-time associates.

Cons

The work is repetitive but that comes along with working at a grocery store.

Keep being motivating and friendly.

Best first job I could have asked for.

Former Employee - Sales Associate and Cashier in Sault Ste. Marie, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate and Cashier in Sault Ste. Marie, MI

I worked at Gordon Food Service part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Since it was my first job, I was about 16 when I started. They were beyond flexible and understanding with my schedule, being that I was attending school and had several extracurricular sports and activities. Plus the group meetings were fun every once and a while. Plenty of competitions and new goodies to try that keep the team members motivated. Plus every once and a while I got to do food demos on the weekend, which was nice to break up the week.
    They were a great start for me, and kept me around all through high school and college.

Cons

Kind of stingy with raises as you move up and difficult to get full time hours when you are ready for it.

Keep up the good work!

A year in and going strong

Current Employee - Selector in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Selector in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I started at GFS's new Freezer building as a selector. I have had a few crappy jobs before and I think that those have allowed me to really appreciate my job at GFS so far. My supervisor and team leads are all great to work with. They all care about their employees and just about everyone I work with is great.

Cons

Scheduling can be difficult sometimes, especially since seniority is next to god at this building. You have to put your time in to really get time off and vacation that you want.

Communication, like almost all other business' communication always needs improving.

Good company to work for!

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a company that looks after their employees. If you are full time and given benefits you are offered amazing benefits that cover so much. The company is all about customer service and it shows in each and every store. Also great for college and high school students with limited availability! If they see you work hard it benefits

Cons

Over the past few years the operations piece of the company has began to struggle in finding its comfort zone. Trying to both target retail and business consumers. Which lost some focus on the "cornerstone values". They also were behind in the times of computer advertising and just began to move into that this year.

Needs better structure from corporate to store level.

Going Down Hill

Current Employee - Warehouse Shipping Packer in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Warehouse Shipping Packer in Springfield, OH

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good 401k, Descent benefits package.

Cons

Since Paul Gordon passed it seems as if it's not about the people who work there anymore, it's about he money. There is so much being cut that there are OSHA safety violations and FDA violations that are being ignored by leadership and upper management. When we mention these violations to the plant manager he makes jokes about them. We have production equipment falling apart and the only thing maintenance can do is band-aid it because we don't have the parts to properly fix it and they are not allowed to purchase the parts unless it broken. The turnover rate is the highest I have ever seen in a facility and the reputation in the community is getting worse. We are loosing people faster than we can hire them and because of the reputation they can't get experienced or quality employees.

Get back to the foundation of what this company was founded on and you will see a huge change in your production. Care about the safety of the employees and the safety of the food, this will get pride back into the employees and moral will start going up along with your reputation.

A very employee oriented company.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Gordon Food Service part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everybody is very friendly and helpful, the company genuinely cares about their employees and treat them very well as if they are family. Many services are offered to employees for free. Also they just got a brand new beautiful coorporate headquarters.

Cons

I felt the pay grade was low for where it maybe should be, but this is made up with by bonuses and profit sharing.

Gordon Food Service Photos