Gordon Food Service

Updated November 11, 2014
3.4

Gordon Food Service CEO Jim Gordon
Jim Gordon

Pros
  • The Profit Sharing is awesome with the company matching up to 6% of your earnings put in each year (in 23 reviews)

• Good values, great benefits and overall good family to work for (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is nonexistent (in 6 reviews)

• hour work week (50 hours required year round) (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most managers care about their people

Cons

Pay it a little low

Work to keep pay competitive.

Great company

Former Employee - Data in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Data in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Gordon Food Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

positive Christian message if that's your thing. Great teamembers and coworkers.

Cons

Salary struggles. Male dominated company. Little vision for the future is shared with associates.

Share your knowledge! Prepare for the next generation.

GFS Kenosha-great place to work.

Current Employee - Transportation in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Transportation in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, pay, opportunity for advancement, qualified teammates, company culture and values. Gordon Family still runs the company. The biggest family company you will ever see.

Cons

Very Frugal (yet profitable) company so older versions of software. Not as Modern as they should be, but very well run.

Overall good company to work for

I have been working at Gordon Food Service part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, the company really puts the customer first. Great teamwork. Customers are friendly. Easy job. Management cares about employees. Flexible schedule.

Cons

The biggest complaint I have is that all positions outside of management are part time. There are no benefits for employees. Although there is a flexible schedule, due to small staffs, it is difficult to find someone to cover if you do need off.

None

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - IS Operations
    Current Employee - IS Operations

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time

Pros

It's like a very big family. Management is thankful and helpful. Advancement opportunities are plentiful, but a lot of people are happy where they are.

Cons

Low turn over because not many people leave the company unless they are retiring.

I think the management is excellent so my advice is to keep it up and stay with the times.

Great place to work

I worked at Gordon Food Service part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Close group of employees. I made a lot of friends there and I enjoyed going to work. I recommend Gordon Food Service for a great part time job.

Cons

physical labor. expected to lift heavier objects. opens early and other peoples businesses depend on your customer service.

Store Manager

I have been working at Gordon Food Service

Pros

I have a level of autonomy to do what I want to do. I am able to run my store and make decisions that I believe are best.

Cons

No true direction of where they are headed. They say one thing one day and then contradict themselves the next. They say that retail customers will not be a focus going forward and that we are to concentrate on wholesale customers. The next day we get an email telling us we need to sign up more retail customers.

Set goals across the company. Districts have too many focuses and too many different goals. One district has a low expectation and another has a high expectation on the same metric.

Not The Best Long Term Employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am a current employee holding a notable position with the company. I have been spending a lot of time trying to think of pros however, have very few.
    The profit sharing and 401k matching are decent

Cons

- The work / life balance is almost non existent for some teams, my team included.
    - Many of the individuals in leadership are mediocre in their performance and intelligence.
    - There is very little diversity within the company.
    - If working above and beyond your positions requirements consistently you will never receive more than a pat on the back and a verbal "Good Job"
    - It is very difficult to move vertically within the company. You will find that the success stories of employees moving vertically and finding success are outliers.
    - Many individuals make a number of lateral moves in order to feel like they are making forward progress within the company (This can be positive however, at GFS rarely results in vertical movement down the road).
    - Compensation tends to be about 20% below market averages.
        * Poor work / life balance and non competitive compensation has resulted in many of our most talented employees seeking and taking advantage of external opportunities.
    - There is little to no professional development, which creates a lot of difficulty for employees seeking more from their careers.
    - GFS can be a great stepping stone however, it is rare that ones experience will be excellent.
         * I would recommend only as a resume builder and stepping stone to a better company.

- The organization needs to value and invest in their talent far more than they currently do.
    - Compensation needs to be more competitive to appeal to external candidates and hold onto the talented individuals that often leave the company.
       * Though a number of people have a lengthy tenure at GFS, many of the employees that leave are the ones that can affect positive change and growth for the company.

Loved working with the many customers and learning new restaraunts and what they serve

I worked at Gordon Food Service

Pros

Electronic registering, computer usage, some printing, learning customer names who work for popular local restaraunts, getting to know the product

Cons

Enormous amount of additional work daily. Secret shopped way too often. Makes one feel not trusted. Only way to advance. Worked 10 mo. With no advance. Called in 2x legit, and manager wasn't forgiving at all. I'm an adult. Very motivated with a great work ethic. Care about my job and my customers very much. Not the place for me.

Manager has since retired. One of the assistants would do well in his place. I wish them well. Just wasn't meant to be for me.

Custodial

Current Employee - Custodian in Wyoming, MI
    Current Employee - Custodian in Wyoming, MI

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Keeps you busy, great pay, benefits, what else can you ask for?

Cons

none that I can list here so far.

Gordon Food Service Photos