Gordon Trucking Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Larry Gordon

Pros
  • Lots of different job types with plenty of home time (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management does not consider the values or opinions of their drivers or their DM's (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management takes Shop GM power and Micro Manage which causes all kinds of problems (in 5 reviews)

• There is NO raises, No safety bonus, No fuel mileage bonus (in 4 reviews)

Never felt like the driver was considered when making changes to the company.

Former Employee - Company Driver in Pacific, WA
    Former Employee - Company Driver in Pacific, WA

I worked at Gordon Trucking

Pros

They have great terminals and friendly operations staff. The availability of a company car at the Gordon terminals was a godsend if you needed to send money home or go grocery shopping or even just needed to get away from the truck for an hour. They welcome professional development.

Cons

The Heartland buyout was a bad move. The company is distancing themselves further and further from the driver with every step to merging the two companies. The Heartland terminals are run down and nasty and the Heartland drivers are rude to the Gordon drivers. The shop in Phoenix is especially biased against the Gordon drivers.

Advice to Management

Remodel the Heartland terminals. Open up better communication channels between the drivers and management since you wouldn't have a trucking company without your drivers. Find a way to get rid of the problems towards the Gordon drivers in the Phoenix shop.

Would never have gone there if I would have known about the lies.

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Waterloo, IA

I worked at Gordon Trucking full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent equipment, the truck are nice and clean, well maintained, late model, trailer are in good condition, would make a driver proud to be seen on the road.

Cons

Has qualcomm equipment in truck but does no have the navigation turned on. They will fire a driver for using his own GPS. They expect you to follow the directions they give you but the two days I went out on the road the directions were wrong. They promised weekly home time, the last day of orientation they pulled the weekly home time away. Nice new trucks not equipped with refrigerators for drivers but they have that noisy lane guard system to alert you that you are out of your lane.

Advice to Management

None that would matter being as I only worked there 2 days, parked the truck, called a cab, went to the greyhound station and headed home. They are totally content in doing things their way.

There companies that treat you better

I worked at Gordon Trucking full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Never had a problem with home time.

Cons

As other reviewers have said, they don't care about you, the driver. Drivers are disposable, there is always a ready supply of drivers who haven't done their research. They care more about the equipment than they do for driver safety. If you get a flat tire or a blow-out, expect it to be counted as an accident on your DAC. I've drove for four companies, the last one being Gardner Trucking out of the Manteca terminal before I got a non-trucking job with the US government. Gardner treats drivers like they are important. You didn't get that feeling from Gordon.

Advice to Management

They don't care.

Otr driver run

Current Employee - OTR REFER DRIVER in Clackamas, OR
    Current Employee - OTR REFER DRIVER in Clackamas, OR

I have been working at Gordon Trucking full-time

Pros

Nice equipment no east coast runs nice terminals. And yards, showers laundry facilities. Electronic logs, APU on all trucks. Fair shops

Cons

Fleet managers will tell you what you want to hear. Have to sit and wait for next load, then run your tail off because either planner or CSR did not do there job. Was a Great Company to work for till the Heartland Buyout. Now drivers are peons and treated like you can be replaced. Have to fight for loads and miles. Does no good to have big pay increase when the miles are cut.

Advice to Management

Listen to the driver's quit making promises that you can not keep.

6. Great company to get experience with

Former Employee - Driver Manager in Pacific, WA
    Former Employee - Driver Manager in Pacific, WA

I worked at Gordon Trucking full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company focuses on safety and cares about family values. Will give responsibilities to those who work hard, demonstrate leadership and earn them

Cons

Some of the hours are not typical. Overtime is considered an "incentive" and paid at regular time rates

Advice to Management

Keep the family values and be willing to pay your talent market rates

If your looking for experience in the transportation industry this is a good start but don't plan on staying too long.

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Gordon Trucking full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I liked having a set schedule. About half the people I worked with were great. Before they arbitrarily changed the rules the incentive pay to work an extra shift was good, but Instead of paying people to work a usually mandatory overtime shift they started using some scheme of comp time which was never formally tracked and was hard to use since management got suspicious and didn't belive you had time coming when you tried to use it months later.

Cons

The other half not so much....Company is all about the bottom line plain and simple, I get it it's not a charity but they are worried more about nickels and dimes than employees. I was told once(from a person in a high position of authority) they don't mind a "healthy amount of turnover" it keeps employees on their toes and keeps payroll low. If your in the top %10 of management you will make a good living if your not your just a disposable worker bee that is easily replaced. Management rules by threats and strong arm tactics. Also very rude and unprofessional the way they speak to subordinates.

Advice to Management

Theres a lot of old guard from the early days of GTI that feel themselves untouchable and have no problem flaunting their power, family, freinds of family etc....A good portion of these old timers have become so set in their ways they have not grown or adapted to a contemporary work place. Maybe with Heartland express taking over things might change. But from what I saw after sticking it out for over a year, it won't.

To all drivers lookingf 'for 'a job

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Oregon City, OR
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Oregon City, OR

I worked at Gordon Trucking

Pros

I have no good to say about the companyt

Cons

I have been in the trucking business for 'some 30 yrs and 'have 'worked 'for so,me of 'the very 'best such 'as 'Wal-Mart with whom I rertired 'thee best Co u would every want to drive 'for I retired 'there and decided 'too ret ret rn to work. Worst 'decxisoion I ever ',Ade 'was 'working for Gordon.The dispatch was the worst I had ever 'seen had a 'manager who 'said that's 'should have hit 'a 'lady that ran a ueild sign would have 'killed her but he was more interested in a tire I ruined in avoiding killing her. I was lied to so ,many times it was 'pathetic. They terminated me but when I 'filed for unemployment the St. I lived in ruled against Gordon as they could not 'prove the reason 'for discharge and the straw said it 'was 'a wronmgful discharge. So xdrivers be 'dam careful if you rthink about goingf 'to work for the,men u may 'refgret doing It. Lots of good companies out there. IDF you have experience try to get on 'with 'Wal-Mart iu can 'make 100,00 dollars 'a year there and have some of the best 'benefits u 'will 'ever have.

Advice to Management

You 'need to 'take a 'look at what you 'have for management and 'maybe clean house 'from 'dispatch on 'down. Said that 'it is 'run 'that 'way

9. Great company

I have been working at Gordon Trucking (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people in operations out west

Cons

Midwest is terribly unorganized. Hard to make money there

10. Excellent company. Gordon treated me with respect, compensated me well for my time, and got me home when I needed it.

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gordon Trucking

Pros

My dispatcher was excellent and understands the business.

Cons

There are no cons to a driving position at Gordon if you're willing to work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

11. good company to work for

I have been working at Gordon Trucking

Pros

learning experience and the shop is clean

Cons

poor management never take advice and favoritism is really bad

Advice to Management

need to learn to work with people in shop and have less people in the office not have five people in office and two people working on the floor

RSS Feed </> Embed