Gorkana

Gorkana CEO Jeremy Thompson
Jeremy Thompson

Great First Job for Anyone Interested in PR/Media

I worked at Gorkana full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work environment of the Gorkana U.S. office is a great setting to work in, especially for professionals seeking a highly innovative, fast-growing company with a start-up feel. The open layout allows for a collaborative environment that connects all teams including research, marketing/events and sales teams in a large open space. This is especially helpful for a growing media/technology company to work together on different initiatives. Also, media executives who are starting out in the research role will be exposed to different fields of work. There is a friendly rapport between all staff at both the U.S. and U.K office which makes it easy to create dialogue and brainstorm ideas. People are also very welcoming, which makes it easy for new staff to get well acclimated to the job. Gorkana also provides ample vacation time, with no inquiries on how you’re spending your day off. It is a definite plus for anyone in the U.S. to be allotted the same amount of holidays as the U.K. office. Compared to other technology companies, especially in New York City, there are opportunities for a good work life balance.

Cons

The lack of variety in the media executive role, where team members primarily do research based projects, can become monotonous at times. This may discourage many team members who are new to the media/technology industry to stay motivated at work. Because Gorkana prides itself on the quality of its product offerings, it is necessary to incorporate a change in attitude to show the importance of the work each and every media executive does on a day to day basis. Create a rotational program that allows team members to rotate between roles/projects to ensure that each member has the ability to gain exposure to other projects and make the most of their time at Gorkana, however long that may be.

Invest in all employees, and trust them! Build moral within colleagues to uncover the value of working at a company that not only has a great work culture, but one that is also interested in employees' personal development. I've come across many great team members both in the U.S. and U.K. teams who are passionate about the work they are doing. Be sure to engage them and increase esprit de corps within the smaller teams.

Gorkana US - A genuine review

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Gorkana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company: True team collaboration and commitment to the company’s success - no matter what role or seniority level – and unmatched reputation in the competitive landscape. Un-paralleled client service, data quality and business integrity.

Culture: The most fun-loving and hardworking team I’ve ever had the honor and pleasure of working with. The epitome of “Work hard, play hard.” You will have access to some of the most influential media in the world. Bloomberg – check. NYT – check. WSJ – check. Rueters – check.

Management: If you have a high-achievement drive, and want to contribute, you'll do well here. If you have an aversion to pressure or if you're looking for an easy job, this isn't the place for you. Open door policy with line managers and MD. Employees are always heard and encouraged to give honest feedback.

Network: Gorkana’s proven credibility with both clients and well respected media outlets allowed me to build out my professional network like never before. I can now call editors and journalists from some of the world’s largest media giants professional connections.

Cons

IT Issues: Remote server in UK meant significant down time which was incredibly frustrating but never impacted Gorkana’s clients. I believe Gorkana now has its own server in the U.S.

Long hours may not work for some: I wouldn’t necessarily say it was a con, but this is no 9 – 5 gig. Networking is encouraged which makes for some long days but it’s always a good time and fantastic for business relationships and professional networking.

Career development: There were programs conducted in the UK but were not made available to the US team. As many of the team are new graduates from some of the best universities in NY & surrounding area, I feel this would illustrate an investment in their careers at Gorkana.

Revenue Targets: I felt revenue targets were more aspirational than aggressive which I feel was due to the Exec team assuming US and UK markets are more alike than they actually are.

Speaking for the NYC office: Great work environment, reasonable pay, excellent management.

I worked at Gorkana full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The New York office of Gorkana has a great "startup" work environment. A young group of employees keeps the office jovial and relatively close knit. Excellent time off and great benefits. Great opportunity to grow your networking skills, expose yourself to the PR or Journalism industries, and plenty of opportunity to try a variety of roles within the same company. Fairly small company so there is plenty of interaction with management and they genuinely care about your personal and career goals.

Cons

While benefits more than make up for this, the salary was mediocre (but sufficient) for NYC. Being a small company, the time may come when leaving is the best way to gain that next set of skills. This happened to me, I was open with management about it, and they were gracious and helpful in my transition.

While I suspect that this has happened since I left the company, I would suggest developing additional roles and ways for employees to stay with Gorkana longer than the typical 1-3 years. As a young company in the US, I understand that there are limited roles but the ability to envision yourself at the same company 10 years from now plays a big role in how long you remain with a company.

Amazing first job out of school at Gorkana

I worked at Gorkana full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My first job after graduating from university was an internship that became a full time Account Executive role at Gorkana. There could not have been a better opportunity for me to learn the ropes of corporate culture, PR, and B2B media. I was supported and encouraged as a young professional by the incredibly engaging and friendly work environment. I was challenged by the tasks I was assigned, and appreciated and acknowledged for my hard work. Even now, I still remain close friends with my former coworkers, many of whom are still at Gorkana, as the company really fosters a community within itself. While I ended up shifting my career from PR to digital media sales, many of the skills I learned at Gorkana are still instrumental to my success today.

Cons

I have no cons to list from my experience at Gorkana - everything I learned in my experience there I still carry with me in my current career.

Great starting point for a career in PR

Former Employee - Media Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Gorkana full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This was my first job after college and I was with the company for just shy of a year. I had interned in fashion PR prior to my employment here. Fashion PR had been a poor fit for my personalty - but I wanted to stay in a PR/Communications role. Gorkana gave me the exposure to realize that financial PR was what I wanted to do. The managers are always very supportive of the career development of employees and when a financial services client was looking to fill a junior position they personally recommended me for the role. I know that their recommendation carried a lot of weight when I interviewed for the position and helped me get the job. I am currently still with that financial firm as part of their in-house PR team.

This is a great young company and I would have stayed if they had a position that was in line with where I wanted my career to go. I have never come across a PR person who has had something negative to say about Gorkana.

Cons

the Media Executive position is that the work is pretty dry - not gonna sugar coat this one...it is. But before I was allowed to accept the job the managers made sure that I completely understood what the job was. The culture makes up for it though.

More internal opportunities for current employees

Research team employer review

Former Employee - Media Executive in New City, NY
    Former Employee - Media Executive in New City, NY

I worked at Gorkana full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work environment, friendly and understanding management and peers, good balance of work and life

Cons

Job is extremely tedious, not too much room for career development in the company

Try to diversify the tasks for the research team and provide more responsibilities for the Media Executives

Great work environment but extremely repetitive work

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Gorkana full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great work environment and great people to work with.

Cons

The work is very repetitive and not exciting.

Amazing opportunities and great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Gorkana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Great people to learn from and laugh with
    - Lot's of internal promotions so if you work hard you can do well
    - Work with outstanding clients (Samsung, Apple, Visa, Ikea, Activision, Danone, Unilever, Barclay's, Vodafone etc.)
    - Good work/life balance
    - Decent work kit - everyone gets two screens which makes work easier

Cons

- Although we had some training more would have been nice
    - We could celebrate our successes more, as we're definitely doing well given the financial climate.

Gorkana has some great clients, partners and staff so they should continue to utilise that available knowledge to generate whitepapers/blogs/events which will keep positioning Gorkana as a thought leader.

In a solid position to grow and dominate, but needs to bring staff on the journey.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Gorkana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Clients value the brand highly but there is room to improve in various areas. There is generally a professional culture and a can-do approach to solving problems. Good to work among lots of bright and hard-working people.

Cons

The company has made some painful changes in the past, some of which have been good but some haven't and the business has lost quite a few good people whilst some who should really have moved on are still there. There's a lot of talk about the importance of people but not enough practice of it.

Focus on developing and retaining talented staff. Seize the opportunity to make bold new changes for the better and don't just focus on margins.

Long hours and too much office politics

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Gorkana full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting clients, loads of chances to work on different projects and clients, dedicated colleagues who want to get the job done. The company's heavy reliance on people at the top with PR experience helps to maintain a professional attitude and visual that compensates for structural deficiencies.

Cons

The planted reviews drafted by HR here tell you a lot about the attitude of management to problems: let's not solve them but rather gloss over them. One of the recent reviews even lauds the fact that we have two monitors as a "perk"! Never mind that the rest of the IT infrastructure still relies on software developed ten years ago and that you have to beg IT to solve things properly.
    The most persistent complaints are the long hours and chronic lack of resources, which management is always "looking into" but somehow never get addressed, particularly in the analysis department.
    New ideas and solutions are encouraged during team meetings (of which there are many) but when you actually propose something new, it usually gets ignored. This is particularly the case if you don't fit into the operations team's mold of what a "promising" employee should be like. As a result, there is a steady stream of new starters, as current employees slowly become disillusioned with the empty promises and the good work that only gets rewarded with even more work.

Please take a step back and look at feedback as an aggregate and not as single complaints. If you truly care about your employees, you will realise there truly are common themes and problems that have been there for years now and not just more of the same whining. Too many good people have left and we could have been even better as a company had we been able to retain some of them.