Gospel Light Reviews

2.1
William T Greig III

So sad

I have been working at Gospel Light

Pros

The best thing about working at Gospel Light is the opportunity fill ones life mission while at work. They have always made it clear what they expect from me. Once I proved myself as reliable I've been rewarded by being able to adjust my work schedule as needed. Take time off. Family and faith are respected in regards to time off.

Cons

There have been 6 large lay-offs in the years I have been here. Even without lay-offs the turn over rate have been high. I have worked under 10 different managers. Too many people hired for reasons besides being qualified for the position. The pay is low. The raises are average only 1- 3% per year.

Hire a controller.

2. Tarnished Legacy

I have been working at Gospel Light

Pros

The employees are the company's greatest treasure. They are hardworking, talented, and genuinely care about customer service and trying to maintain a positive work environment.They cultivate an atmosphere of friendship beyond mere coworker status. The company has an honorable mission "To know Christ and to make Him known." There is an 80 year history of producing quality curriculum in the service of the church.

Cons

Like any family run business some quirks are to be expected. Unfortunately the company has disintegrated into a culture of nepotism.There is no current sound business plan or consultant. Layoffs are the answer to dealing with cash shortages. Short-sighted and self-interested sums up the leadership.The 80 year legacy will be tarnished by poor business practices, lousy treatment of vendors and freelancers, and general mismanagement.

Hire an outside financial/business consultant. Develop long term achievable goals.Put your customers and employees ahead of your personal gain.

3. Run

I have been working at Gospel Light

Pros

Awesome employees, mangers and directors. A great small family. If don't laid you off in your first year you might be around long enough to learn something of value from one of the managers.

Cons

Heavy turnover. There is no support, direction, organization or leadership from the c-level. Its like a ship without a rudder, unstable and bound to crash into something.

Be loyal to your customers, then your employees, once you do those two then you can give yourself a raise. Not the other way around.

5. Wonderful people, horrible ownership.

I worked at Gospel Light

Pros

Location. Great people, great product.

Cons

The owners have no idea how to run a business.

Sell the company before it's too late.

6. In a precarious place right now.

I worked at Gospel Light full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is a genuine culture of kindness. Good people!

Cons

Due to consistent poor business decisions from the past leader, the company has downsized and it's future is precarious.

7. Great atmosphere, awesome team, and fantastic place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Gospel Light full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers get along and collaborate with one another. Everyone works towards common goals. It is a genuinely great place to work.

Cons

The speed at which decisions are made good be a bit faster...but it's not awful.

8. Frustrating.

I have been working at Gospel Light

Pros

Coworkers treat each other with respect. Home and family are easy to balance with. Office politic is mild.

Cons

Lack of funding to drive company growth. Pay is low. Poor senior leadership. Lack of trust and irrational decision making by leadership.

Develop trust between senior leadership and directors & managers. Put more thought and analysis into decision making. Think before speaking. Don't take on more debt than you can handle. Think quality verse quantity when making investments and spending resource. Put more focus on the customer.

9. Behind the times and lacking direction, but a good group of people

I have been working at Gospel Light

Pros

The people and the stated mission are the primary reasons to work at Gospel Light. The people are wonderful and do their best to make it feel like a family.

Cons

Unfortunately like any family there seems to be a considerable bit of favoritism, and many of the decisions are made in a very top down manner with little feedback desired from workers.

It's OK to not know everything. You are in a drastically changing market and you are overlooking the talent in your midst. We're all committed to the mission and want to contribute to another 70+ years of spreading the Word in a fun and engaging way.