Gospel for Asia Reviews

Updated September 7, 2014
Updated September 7, 2014
4.4

K.P. Yohannan

A ministry you can pour out your life for significant eternal impact.

I have been working at Gospel for Asia

Pros

The most important reason for being at GFA is a sense the Lord has called you to serve here. There is a commitment to living a Christian lifestyle that is very unusual in the workplace, even for ministry. Having had the privilege to meet our staff in India and to be a part of thousands of missionary’s lives gives a deep feeling of our life making a difference.
    The inspired leadership of KP Yohannan and the rest of the staff creates a bond that encourages you even in challenging times.

Cons

Serving at GFA requires a high level of commitment to Kingdom principals. This is made known to all before they join staff, but it is challenging at time to have a true servants heart.

Cult-like, practices shunning and promotes an unhealthy atmosphere of fear

I worked at Gospel for Asia

Pros

Many of the staff I believe are genuinely wanting to serve and love the Lord and make a difference in this world by reaching the lost. The staff have sold everything to come work at GFA and are committed to the Lord and reaching the lost in Asia. Many of the people on staff were my dearest friends and still are.

Cons

GFA is very cult-like. GFA is painted a beautiful picture on the outside to visitors and to donors and sponsors but in reality things are very different on the inside. GFA leadership promotes an unhealthy atmosphere of fear and practices shunning. GFA leadership discourages large group gatherings at homes and believes that community is not safe to happen in the home and teaches that living in community and being the community can only happen at the office or at prayer meeting. If you are someone who loves to have people over in your home please be warned that you may enjoy that freedom for a little while but once leadership knows of your gift of hospitality you will be watched very closely and eventually be asked to stop having people over into your home, and being shunned with it for reasons that are clearly not biblical. GFA exercises control over the personal lives of its people and is gripped with fear, wanting to know everything that goes on in your life. If they can't see or know, the leaders fear and exercise control

GFA has an elitist attitude believing they are higher and better than all other organizations. Everything is centered around the man, K.P. and I felt nothing but fear when around him. Everything is done to make K.P. happy or benefit him. Questioning K.P. and the leadership and their teachings is discouraged and you are labeled as rebellious for doing so. If you are a young person and you question K.P.'s teachings because you see something that doesn't make sense or that is clearly not biblical, you will be verbally abused and labeled as being "an arrogant young person who doesn't know anything." GFA leadership claims they have made many mistakes for which they are grieved about but in practice I have never seen them admit such wrong when confronted with their errors. Such questioning is attacked and labeled as rebellious. Leadership claims they always right and never wrong because they somehow have some kind of special line to God.

When I have told staff to not believe everything a leader says just because he is in that position but search everything through scripture, I have been attacked and criticized for such an encouragement (that I believe I did purely in love). Now, if that isn't enough to make you consider GFA is a cult and practices false teaching, then I am not sure what will.

I do not recommend GFA. It is a dangerous and unhealthy organization that has lost its first love.

They have lost its first love. They need to repent of their errors and sins and stop their dangerous teachings that spreading poison and hurting so many lives.

It is the Lord's Work…Not Man's - Keep your eyes on Jesus!

Current Employee - Various Positions Throughout My Years of Service  in  Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Various Positions Throughout My Years of Service in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at Gospel for Asia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I am currently a former staff member from Gospel for Asia. I spent one year in their School of Discipleship program, in which I had the beautiful opportunity to see the handy work of God as I visited the work in South Asia. Through visiting the field, The Lord confirmed the calling he had placed on my life to serve full time on staff.

I had the privilege of spending a year raising support before coming on staff. The idea of raising support can be scary for many, but Gfa is very open about the fact that you have to raise your own support and they also equip you well with the materials you need to raise support...all you have to do is seek The Lord for His leading on how He wants to use you and the resources entrusted to you to bring in the support needed. My encouragement to you if you are fearful about raising support: Trust The Lord! It is He who is calling you...you don't serve at GFA just because it feels "right" and "good" or sounds fun or because your friends are doing it.

The truth of serving at Gospel for Asia is that it will be hard and The Lord WILL stretch you. One thing I so appreciate about leadership, whether it be from Brother K.P. or a department coordinator, they never cease to take the time to pour into you...no matter how busy they may be. At the same time, they are only human and I have experienced with many of them the down side of having to wait for days or weeks or months to talk to them. That sounds bad, but I have learned that it is truly all about your perspective in that waiting period. Although The Lord has put you under their covering of authority as you serve at GFA, always remember that The Lord is your ultimate authority and you are responsible to run to Him first (Exodus 20:18-20). If you are struggling with something or someone, one the questions you can expect to be asked when you go in to talk with a leader is, "How are your times with The Lord?" I always hated that question, because I just wanted to go in and complain and have them fix my problems...I never wanted to actually have to check my own heart and where I was in my walk with The Lord.

The leadership at GFA is dedicated to praying and fasting on behalf of those who The Lord has entrusted to them, whether that be in the US office, an international office, or on the field in South Asia. Because I am a "quality time" person, if they didn't have time for me - then they didn't love me or care about me. The enemy took that lie for me and twisted it to the point that I was very blinded to the love and grace they showed me.

I will say that I did struggle in many ways with knowing the boundaries of GFA being a "family/community" or "business" setting. I think in a lot of ways, it is easy to be at one extreme or the other and lose the balance in all that. Again, leadership and the GFA family aren't perfect - they all are humans, sinners saved by grace! It comes down to waiting on The Lord and asking Him how to set boundaries.

I served on staff for over 5 years and saw my share of struggles. I am one of those staff members who leadership had to ask to leave because I struggled to trust them do to many of own personal struggles and the way I viewed people. It was not easy for them to ask me to leave as they told me I have very good work ethic, but it was more important to them that I go grow in The Lord - then to continue in the negative, defeated mindset that I was trapped in. It was extremely hard for me to leave as I felt I was called there for life, but the experiences I had in the last ten days of being at that ministry were simply filled with peace from The Lord overwhelming abundance of love and grace as senior leadership took time to come to my house the day I left to pray over me and see me off. As I look back on that day, I am extremely humbled by my brothers and sisters at Gospel for Asia who loved on me until the last possible moment. Words cannot express the volume of Christ's love that was shown to me that day I drove out of town.

I have been back to the ministry twice since I left and I am blown away in how The Lord has placed in front of people at Gfa who I have been so judgmental towards in the past...and yet, these leaders, brothers and sisters are so genuinely happy to see me and encourage me by saying how they can see a change in me. It is the Lord's work!

I was one of those people who was bitter and angry and judgmental...but that is because I didn't have the Lord's perspective. I am thankful that leadership loved and cared about me enough to ask me to leave. It is truly the best thing they could have done for me and it is truly humbling to know they were more concerned for my character and were willing to be obedient to what The Lord was asking them to do...no matter how painful it may have been.

Cons

Gospel for Asia and those that serve at this ministry are not perfect and they will let you down. Keep your eyes fixed on The Lord at all times. "But the Lord said to Samuel, 'Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.'" (1 Samuel‬ ‭16‬:‭7‬ NIV)

To leadership: THANK YOU! Thank you for loving me. Thank you for being transparent throughout the years I served at GFA. Thank you for sharing with me that it is ok to be transparent and tell my story because it is really about the Lprd's work in me. Thank you for showing me grace, even though it meant asking me to leave. Thank you for continually praying for me as I am out here growing in The Lord and waiting on Him for his perfect timing. I am blessed and humbled by each of you, whether I directly interacted with you or not...I couldn't ask for a more Christ-loving group of leaders.

To Brother K.P.: Thank you so much for caring for your staff. Thank you for the love that Christ empowered you with to love on me and pray for me. Thank you for not rejecting me, but showing me grace! I love The Lord in you. Thank you for not quitting and for setting the example to run the race to the end and sit before The Lord to wait upon Him. It is very evident that the ministry of GFA is not your own, but what The Lord has entrusted to you. Praise God!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good environment and place to learn to work with people of all skill levels

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at Gospel for Asia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Gracious and caring work environment makes for great interpersonal work relationships and strong friends inside and outside of the office. Senior-level leaders provide ample time to "learn the ropes"and provide structured support through mentors for new employees.

The mission of Gospel for Asia is excellent and the staff "walk the walk."

My supervisor has great concern for my personal well-being and understands that I can do my best work when things at home are in order.

Cons

There is a lot of work and not enough staff. Because of this, most staff is stretched too thin.

Finding a way to recruit more staff that have the same mission would be a great help to the workload.

I never imagined I could have a life as wonderful as this!

Current Employee - Administrator  in  Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Administrator in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at Gospel for Asia full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've been working for 53 years at many places in many capacities, but I have NEVER, before serving at Gospel for Asia, experienced the grace, the mercy, the Christian love, the humility, the patience, the encouragement, the respect, the guidance, the openness, the integrity, and the servanthood that GFA leadership has exhibited and provided to me.

Cons

Survival here depends upon a willingness to be dependent on and trust the Lord and His will for our lives.

The leadership at Gospel for Asia is outstanding. I won't presume to advise them.

The place to be if you wish to be part of thousands accepting Jesus as their Savior.

Former Employee - Supervosor  in  Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Supervosor in Carrollton, TX

I worked at Gospel for Asia full-time

Pros

Gospel for Asia is a rewarding place to serve if you would like to build "treasures in Heaven." There is joy while working there no matter the circumstances for those who follow Jesus. Thousands of people accept Jesus each year in Asia and it was a blessing to be a supporting element of that. My wife and I were challenged spiritually and encouraged to work on our relationship with the Lord. They have core Christian values and encourage all to follow them. The health insurance plan was excellent and reasonably priced. There is a set amount of annual leave days given, no limit on sick leave, and if a person needs other time off it is given.

Cons

There is more work to be done than there are staff available. But, we could see the fruit of our labor through the missionaries in the Asia.

I appreciated your open door policy and how you gave a great deal of effort to keep everyone informed of the continual changes. I also enjoyed the times of preyer which always seemed to be uplifted.

It's about reach the lost world not just some Job...

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Gospel for Asia full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's not a job for me it's a place I can do what God called me to do and this has been the most fruitful place for me to do that. Leaders are loving, gracious and go out of there way to help us to do well. You also get to work with the body of Christ not just on denomination. Not enough room to say all the amazing things about this place.

Cons

It's filled with real non perfect humans.
    Leaders can not read minds so you have to communicate and be honest. Just like every work place on earth.

A organization always changing for the best and seeking new ways to improve.

I have been working at Gospel for Asia full-time for more than a year

Pros

A few things that are awesome at Gospel for Asia, is that there is a focus on what we do. Everyone is on the same page.
    There is much freedom of choice and the overseers of the ministry are very open to new suggestions employees may have. A workable atmosphere that includes a friendly environment. VERY coffee friendly.
    Transparent people who are passionate about reaching the lost in Asia.

Cons

The white noise, is annoying. The air conditioning is not evenly distributed through the building but rather comes out in large amounts. There is a strong diversity, that sometimes can be challenging to work with especially if it's your assistant or boss.

I dont have anything. Of course there is always room for improvement, but I am very satisfied with the godly leadership who wants to take care of their employees.

A privilege to be part of GFA.

I have been working at Gospel for Asia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

GFA exists and operates by a strong set of core values. Clear vision and mission focus. Tight knit community atmosphere in workplace. Transparent and caring leaders. Strong emphasis on growth of individual and family. Most rewarding work I have ever been part of.

Cons

Work can be long hours and tiring at times but well worth the effort and commitment.

Please continue leading with an atmosphere of grace, integrity and encouragement.

the most meaningful years of my life

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at Gospel for Asia full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have never had a job that was so meaningful. I have served with GFA for eight years and seen the work on the field several times. To see what the Lord is doing through His people is very rewarding.

Cons

Things can be slow moving at times. There is always so much to do that it is hard to pull folks off of one job to start on another one.

Thank you for caring for us. I don't envy your role.

Worked for Gospel for Asia? Contribute to the Community!