Gotham Consulting Partners

Be The First To
Add Photos

Deepak Agrawal

Exceptional Experience For The Analytically-Minded Looking For A Challenge

Engagement Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Gotham Consulting Partners full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGotham offers great exposure to C-level strategy and operations challenges in a variety of industries. With a strong focus on Private Equity, you are constantly pushed to draw "so what" insights and drive actionable results for your results-focused client base. Gotham's entrepreneurial environment enables you to take on greater responsibility at all levels of the organization, from firm building to recruiting to business development, there is an opportunity for everyone to make a significant contribution.

ConsThe learning curve is steep. For those less committed, the pace can be challenging with burnout inevitable.

Advice to Senior ManagementGotham has established a great reputation in the world of Private Equity for its ability to tackle the "hard-to-solve" challenges, with a little more focus on internal team development, motivation, and consensus building it can develop a similarly great reputation with its employees and potential hires as a great place to make a lasting impact.

Amazing experience, but be ready to roll up your sleeves

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Gotham Consulting Partners full-time for more than a year

ProsI worked at Gotham early in my career and I can honestly say that it is the single largest reason my career has continued to progress at a rapid pace (Finance & Strategy leader for a $750M business before the age of 30). You learn how to generate amazing insights that are actionable across a wide variety of businesses. There are very few environments where you can gain as much hands on experience while moving up and down the entire value chain (from frontline workers to C-suite interactions). The leaders and employees of this company are some of the smartest people I've ever had the opportunity to work with.

ConsThis is not a job for the faint of heart. As others have said, the hours can be long at times and the expectations are very high. However, if you dig in, learn, and grow, the long-term impact on your career is amazing (either at Gotham or beyond).

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only advice would be to recognize the potential for burnout and put mitigation plans in place to prevent it. There will always be times that absolutely require the 36 hour non-stop sprint, but it would be helpful if there was a balance to these times to "recharge the battery".

Most other options are better; don't stay longer than a year

I worked at Gotham Consulting Partners full-time

Pros*Become an expert at Excel and PowerPoint
*Learn to be very creative in solving problems
*Get exposed to unique set of industries and PE
*Great co-workers who are extremely intelligent, friendly, and helpful

Cons*Almost all the cons and none of the pros of being part of an "entrepreneurial" firm (long hours, but no stake in business, no rewards or bonuses ever, no ownership, almost no exposure to clients)
*You -will- burn out.
*Nothing you do will ever be good enough, until the 11th (AM, the next day) hour
*Hands tied behind your back for many things, since it is a small firm with limited resources
*You will likely not get paid on time at some point, due to pipeline and finance difficulties

Advice to Senior Management* Bring in other partners.
* Realize your employees are not business owners - they can work hard but should not be up all night every night 7 days a week worried about the business and should not be getting paid late. They don't own the business or reap any rewards on the other end, so this isn't their responsibility.
* Stop blaming other people; the attrition rate is your fault, no one else's. See it as a consultant should. You own that responsibility.

Constantly berated, company can't survive this way

I worked at Gotham Consulting Partners full-time for less than a year

ProsYour work will get in front of the client and you will learn a good bit. Your teammates are good people and you learn to band together

ConsConstantly treated poorly. There is no work-life balance on projects and you can expect 9 am to 10 pm as a good day when not on project. On project, expect to leave between 2-4 am. People drop like flies and I am doubtful this firm will be around much longer.

work is never good enough, so thinking becomes discouraged as you try to fit to whatever the MD says. Expect change of plans even at 2 am in the morning.

Advice to Senior Managementlearn to connect with human beings. They have emotions and families and should be treated better if you want to keep them for any measure of time. Don't treat people with disrespect or talk down to anybody. We are all trying to learn and would be more willing to commit time if we felt this were a collaborative environment.

Follow the 80/20 rule. deep diving on every issue is a surefire way to waste time.

Realize we have lives outside these walls.

good learning but horrible culture. Not a recommended place

Senior Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Gotham Consulting Partners full-time for more than a year

ProsGood exposure to the partner, they hire some smart people and manage to get some interesting work form the client. Output can at times be compared to top consulting output

ConsHorrible work hours. no respect for a human. It is a single partner firm who has limited exposure

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more for your people

A rewarding experience for people with strong mind and positive attitude

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Gotham Consulting Partners full-time for more than a year

ProsI had mixed feelings when I was working at Gotham, but now when I look back and reflect on what I have done at Gotham and what Gotham has trained me, I feel grateful for all the challenging work and guidance from the seniors. I not only master the tools (Excel, Access, PPT) that I was not good at before I started work, I also have much more extensive project experience than many peers working for 1+ years out of college. You'll be amazed at how much responsibilities that you are given as a junior member in the team. Your work goes directly to the PE clients, and your findings or analysis directly shapes the future of a business.

It's not an ideal job for those who are faint-hearted, who settle for 90% instead of 100%, or who need a lot of guidance. It's also not a suitable job for those who are not bright or flexible, as we are constantly hypothesizing, validating, and changing the answers. There will be many iterations for one task, many people find it frustrating, but people with positive attitude and strong willingness to learn will find it a great opportunity to improve skills and thinking process. That's the beauty of consulting.

ConsAs I said before, people who are not strongly passionate about consulting, or people who like to work on something that will give a definite answer will not succeed at Gotham. In addition, you have to be very detail-oriented and know how to present findings in a visually appealing way, because your work will go directly to the clients. It sounds easy, but you'll be amazed at how many people who suck at making things presentable.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter time management

Working conditions can't get worse

I worked at Gotham Consulting Partners

ProsAfter leaving Gotham, you will be so relieved you never have to work in such terrible conditions again. You do get good experience, albeit at the expense of a personal life, respect, and any real career development. The analysts/associates there are smart and come from great schools.

ConsThe firm is falling apart - enter with extreme caution! Top management has been leaving, and a tipping point has been reached. There are way too few managers, and analysts/associates leave ASAP and want to leave after the first project.

A stretch of a few months without a project is common for the firm, which means finances become a major issue. In some cases, Gotham will run payroll late, or will not run it all together. Your hours will be worse than I-Banking (people have stayed over 2 days straight), but pay is similar to other consulting firms. However, the bonus that is promised will never come into fruition...it never has.

You will be constantly beaten down, and there will be no respect from the MD.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a professional plan for analysts/associates to advance in their career outside of the firm. Pay the bonus you promise people. Follow the 80/20 principle.

Gotham is a churn shop - go in, learn as much as possible, and get out.

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Gotham Consulting Partners

ProsGotham is part of a good story - starting from the financial crisis of 2007/2008, Gotham's value proposition has been very strong, both to their clients (private equity firms) as well as to potential employees. It's a small, lean organization that provides a lot of exposure to young, fresh-out-of-school consultants.

ConsNot only is there no emphasis on firm culture, there is no prescriptive thought to retaining people. The partners of the firm has run it for over 10 years at this size, and they're okay with the half-life of consultants being one year.

Advice to Senior ManagementA consultancy is only as good as the people it retains. The extraordinarily high cost per employee can realistically be reduced if you retain employees longer. And that feeds into a cycle that allows for sustained, controlled growth.

High Exposure And Challenging Work

I worked at Gotham Consulting Partners

ProsGreat first job as you are given a lot of responsibility and challenging analytical work. Because of its small size you are able to directly interact with and learn from the MD of the company. The employees are all very smart and are great to work with. You can very quickly learn about many different industries that private equity firms are interested in.

ConsWorking for private equity clients is extremely demanding. If you are looking for a 9 to 6 job this is not the right place for you. You will work as long as it takes to get quality product out to the client.

Challenging work and valuable experience

I worked at Gotham Consulting Partners

ProsThe learning opportunities available at Gotham are incredibly rewarding. For the firm's size, Gotham is able to procure a lot of interesting and challenging consulting work that often requires a deep level of analytical problem solving. Employees learn a lot about a wide variety of niche industries.

The firm's lean structure and heavy project flow allow incoming analysts and associates the opportunity to add value and take on meaningful responsibilities from the start. The office has a strong team-based atmosphere, and the other employees are interesting, bright, hard-working, and easy to get along with.

ConsLike investment banks and other strategy consulting firms, the price for the rich learning opportunities available at Gotham is time. The firm experiences stretches of project/proposal work requiring 80+ hours per week. Incoming employees unprepared for this level of commitment or unwilling to adopt this work/life schedule may have a difficult time adjusting. Those that take on the challenge however will gain a strong understanding of problem structuring, an introduction to fundamental business concepts, and an experience that they can look back upon fondly.

Worked for Gotham Consulting Partners? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gotham Consulting Partners reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gotham Consulting Partners CEO Deepak Agrawal. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Gotham Consulting Partners employees.